Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-24-2002, 02:08 PM
The king of shotgun debate

More TJ Factory Axle Measurements D-35c / D44

Milan, sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your request. Today I was finally able to get off my back and do something/ Felt great too!

More TJ Factory Axle Measurements D-35c / D44

Hi Folks,

About 6 weeks ago I posted info on the axle tube diameter and wall thickness for the factory TJ D-35-c and TJ D-44, as measured by myself and a bunch of other folks.

Since then I have had several requests to see if I could pull together data on the tube lengths. Today I was finally able to get to this.

Here is a limited amount of information I have.

How Measured

Here is how the length measurements where taken using a standard measuring tape. All measurements where taken down to 1/16 of an inch.

Each tube, drivers side and passenger side were measured, from the inside face of the axle to brake backing plate flange, to the point where the axle tube first enters the cast part of the pumpkin.

The overall length of the axle was measure from the inside face of the axle to brake flange to inside flange.

The width of the pumpkin was calculated by subtracting both axle lengths from the overall axle length.

Axle Lengths

I find it interesting that the D-35 Cast Pumpkin appears to be on inch wider then the D-44.

I find it also interesting that the long tube on the D-35 is on the Driver side, and on the D-44 the long tube is on the Passenger side.

If anyone else would like to make these measurement and send the data to me I will add it to the table. Please send to Email.id@worldnet.att.net

Here is the original tube diameter and thickness data.

One additional size difference can be found in the Ring Gear Diameters used in these axles.

Per Factory Service Manual.

TJ D-35c Ring Gear Diameter = 7.62 Inches

TJ D-44 Ring Gear Diameter = 8.50 Inches

Hope this is useful.

If anyone would like to host this data on there site please send me an email. I would be happy to supply you with the files. Please send to Email.id@worldnet.att.net

Frank

[This message was edited by Daless2 on March 24, 2002 at 03:29 PM.]
Old 03-26-2002, 04:24 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Folks,

I was as surprised as anyone to see that the D-35 differential cast housing is actually wider then the D-44, as it pertains to those that come from the factory on the TJ.

While I do not have any measurements on the housing other then this, there is no doubt the overall mass of the D-44 cast housing is larger and certainly more beefy then the D-35.

I am currently trying to determine the outside diameter of the casting at the closest point to where the axle tubes are pressed into the casting and the length of the casting tube area.

Currently I have a handful of these measurement (all taken by myself), so I am in need of a few more for validation.

If yours is a TJ Factory Axle would you care to measure it and get back to me? email.id@worldnet.att.net

Here is what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance and,

Have a great day folks,

Frank