Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-14-2003, 10:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Cell Service... what do you have?

I had AT&T for about a year now, and our contract is up, so we went to verizon, just beacuse we had some issues with ATT up here in the mountains where Im at... I just got the phone all figured out tonight, and it seems to work pretty decent... Its the VX10 model or something like that.. I believe its a motorola... its a flip phone, which is a big step up from the Nokia 3360 I had previously... with that phone in my pocket, it looked like I was happy to see EVERYONE, all the time! So what do you have, and how do you like it?
Scott
Old 09-14-2003, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeepik
dang

its an LG-vx10..not really a step up from the Nokia

vx10 is not a very good phone in the verizon lineup.. i like the motorola's myself( have the walkie talkie motorola with verizon)

i think you will be pleasantly surprised how ****ty the service with AT&T was.

Verizon has a very good service area network, which can not be rivaled by anybody in the country as of now
Old 09-14-2003, 10:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Quote:
Originally posted by jeepik
dang

its an LG-vx10..not really a step up from the Nokia

vx10 is not a very good phone in the verizon lineup.. i like the motorola's myself( have the walkie talkie motorola with verizon)

i think you will be pleasantly surprised how ****ty the service with AT&T was.

Verizon has a very good service area network, which can not be rivaled by anybody in the country as of now
Yup, thats the phone Ive got... And I will say, the rings are nicer, and its got a bunch more features than my nokia, and its easier to use than my nokia ever was.. not to mention its like half the size, and thats GOOD.... I can't wait to see how this thing works... We didn't opt for the walkie talkie thing, sicne mobil to mobil is unlimited, and free, so we might as well just call each other.... and believe it or not, I don't know too many other people using verizon...
Scott
Old 09-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Administrator

I have Nextel. I won't have Nextel again. I truly wish the prez of Nextel would take a ride with me throughout one of my average days.

The rule would be that I get to kick him in the nuts everytime I lose coverage or a call gets dropped.

At the end of day one that SOB would have to use a 12 foot stepladder to scratch his ass.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Reggae

Whatever anyone does as far as cellular phones and service go, if you do complete opposite from what William is doing, you are bound to be all right. I can understand maximum 50% of what he tells me when he is on the cello.

And last night, when he called me on the road, and all of the sudden went silent, I thought he got into an accident or something.

Anyway, I used to have a Samsung SCH-850, which I recently replaced with SCH-a310. I am on Verizon. It's ok, I guess, although customer service quality has gone down trough the years. They were much friendlier and more helpful back in the days of Airtouch Wireless.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:34 PM

You had to get me started...

AT&T...

And it sucks...

The coverage in the West Valley (San Fernando) sucks...
The coverage everywhere else in this city sucks too...
Their customer service sucks...
Their fones suck...
Their calling plans suck...

Cant wait to find a service that works as well in the deserts though...
Thats the problem. I heard Verizon is getting better out there, and is definately better in the city, but no one has confirmed this.

Phone is an old Nokia5165 on its 3rd antenna. Phone sucks...

kris.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:35 PM

Well, Im hoping I won't have to deal with the customer service too much.... But I guess only time will tell about the cell service...
Scott
Old 09-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Carrier service will obviously vary greatly from area to area, here's my .02 on a few of the big boys for the SillyCON Valley:

Nextel: crappy service just about everywhere, except where I didn't need to make a call.

Cingular: Better coverage, but still lacking in important (for me) areas like San Jose, Milpitas, Fremont, basically many areas in the south bay.

Both of the two above had about zero coverage once you were a rocks throw east of Sacramento.

ATT (TDMA): much, much, much better than the previous two. A couple [nearly] dead zones within my primary usage areas, otherwise great coverage. My MOT v70i isn't nearly as strong in terms of reception as my wife's "antique" Startac.

I'm probably jumping to Verizon in December, unless ATT has their GSM network sufficiently expanded, and their "walkie-talkie" service online. My wife has had Verizon for years, and even now she can get signal coverage, sometimes full bar, when I have none. She also gets more coverage up Ice House Road than I do.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:15 AM

Used to be with Sprint. They suck. Bad. I could only use the phone when I was in LA. Which wasn't too good because I lived in San Diego before I moved to Ventura. I switched to Verizon and haven't found many places it doesn't work.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:45 AM

I have had Verizon for the past 4 years and am happy with it.
With their features, I even tossed out my land line phones at home. I have the older LG-TM510 flip phone and like it. Best cell I ever had. (I don't use the text capability, though) I do sometimes cut off my calls when I have it on my shoulder trying to do the "hands-free" technique. Seems the flip part is sensitive to movement.
If you go with Verizon, I suggest checking their new calling plans about every 4 months. You can usually upgrade and many times save money with their promotions.
Bottom line is-I pay just under $75/mo. for two cell phones, free long distance, free roaming where ever Verizon has service, and many more "free" minutes than I can use.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:37 AM

Re: Cell Service... what do you have?

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I had AT&T for about a year now, and our contract is up, so we went to verizon, just beacuse we had some issues with ATT up here in the mountains where Im at... I just got the phone all figured out tonight, and it seems to work pretty decent... Its the VX10 model or something like that.. I believe its a motorola... its a flip phone, which is a big step up from the Nokia 3360 I had previously... with that phone in my pocket, it looked like I was happy to see EVERYONE, all the time! So what do you have, and how do you like it?
Scott
I have Verizon. With the America's Choice plan, I have free roaming in most places that don't have verizon service. I can get in the truck or Jeep and drive to Utah, with cell service about 98% of the way there. Other than a few dead spots here and there, the reception is great. It seems to work everywhere in so cal I have been too so far. I like my Motorola phone, it has great battery time. Overall my wife and are very happy with Verizon coverage. It works most places in the mountains too!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 09-15-2003, 06:52 AM

None.....

Stupid ass phones.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 09-15-2003, 06:55 AM

I have T-Mobile service with a Samsung phone.

I used it while on a cross country vacation & service was pretty good except a couple places in New Mexico.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
None.....

Stupid ass phones.....

Allen
In a way I AGREE!

I resisted adding cell phones into my life for a long time..... but with my wife commuting over 120 miles a day, juggleing kids to and from school, who's picking who up, and when, plus all of the other caous in life, we had to cave in and get the phones.......

It has made things a lot easier to keep life in order
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 09-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
I have an AT&T Nation Plan for $29.99 (200 anytime minutes, 1000 night/weekends). Though I've been getting hit with a 10 cent/text message charge... may add the service for another 2 bucks where I get 25 messages free before they start to hit me with charges.

I may upgrade the phone too, I have a Nokia 5160 I believe, old school compared to what's out there now.

As for service, once I've went national, I've have no issues with unexpected charges and the service isn't too bad (I think the phone being old is what causes some of my drops...)
Old 09-15-2003, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
In a way I AGREE!

I resisted adding cell phones into my life for a long time..... but with my wife commuting over 120 miles a day, juggleing kids to and from school, who's picking who up, and when, plus all of the other caous in life, we had to cave in and get the phones.......

It has made things a lot easier to keep life in order
My wife has one.....

I don't use it.....

I have "needed" a cell phone exactly twice in the last 5-10 years.....since they've become a must have.....I haven't paid much attention to be honest.

Both times I walked 500 feet or less to a pay phone.

If you need one, I understand that. I don't.....

And most people need them like they need another hole in their head.....

Of course there was also the time I had been sitting at a red light for over a minute, with cars stopped in the lane next to me as well.....when I was hit from behind by a 1 ton Chevy doing 40.

Yep, she was on the phone. Totaled my 3 month old truck.

When I saw her laughing and telling whomever was so important to be talking to, what had just happened and her overall attitude regarding my situation.....my neck and back suddenly hurt.

My only concern was her young daughter who had been standing up on the front seat.....

I was fine.....just really sore.

And honest.....

Her insurance company treated my wife and I to a very nice steak dinner up in the city. I could have milked that back thing for a settlement.....

So the cell phone thing has left me jaded ever since.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:49 AM

Smile

ATT here in West Texas (middle of nowhere) and ever since they installed a new tower in our neck of the woods it's actually pretty good.
And since I'm all over the place within the US, Canada and Mexico it has worked real good for me.

That's one of those things in Mexico -> the freaking reception of the phone is better than in general in the US
And the switch to a newer Nokia phone last year made a big difference (dunno the series number)
Old 09-15-2003, 08:55 AM

Tested Nextel, didn't order it and don't plan too. Coverage is lousy.

Use AT&T, since it's the provider the county contracts with and I have a work assigned phone. Coverage is good in the central valley. I have a half-dozen phones in my office, assigned to various folks. We use both Motorola and Nokia. Have had good luck with both brands. Right now I'm carrying a Motorola V.60 and it's satisfactory (not great, but not bad).
Old 09-15-2003, 09:44 AM

We were thinking of going to nextel, and asked a few friends that had it if they liked it... Well, apparently, thier service areas suck, and they are a pain to deal with... so we went to verizon... hopefully it won't be an issue. As far as needing a cell phone, I do need one... I have two jobs that I travel back and forth to, in a jeep thats got 217,000 miles on it.. I like to know Ive got a phone right by me if somethign should happen. Especially up here in the mountains, where payphones can be at a premium depending on your location
Scott
Old 09-15-2003, 09:55 AM
dennisuello

we used to have Sprint in Bay Area and it sucked. we switched to AT&T which was way better. now we moved to Reno and AT&T service here seems good too. i don't have a cell anymore, just my wife, so i don't use it much and can't really comment on service.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I am a cell phone noobie.....just coming up on my 1st year anniversary next month.

That being said, I use Verizon and am quite happy with it. While it didn't work at my parents farm in nowhere northern Minnesota, I could pick up reception when I got near town and that was great. I was in their extended service area (didn't have to pay any roaming charges). As for coverage here in the valley, it is great. Damn hard to hide from a good signal. Coverage along the freeway cooridores while doing intrastate travel is nothing short of amazing. And it works in Moab so we can call the kids while we are on vacation!

Can you hear me now?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:49 PM

I don't have any land lines at home, seemed like a big waste to me plus its nothing short of a racket when you look at and compare costs to using wirelss phones.

I use Cingular and generally they have decent coverage and decent customer service. I just went around the bush with them to get my A338 Motorola phone fixed but to their credit, they did it rather than lose me as a customer.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I have Nextel. I won't have Nextel again. I truly wish the prez of Nextel would take a ride with me throughout one of my average days.

The rule would be that I get to kick him in the nuts everytime I lose coverage or a call gets dropped.

At the end of day one that SOB would have to use a 12 foot stepladder to scratch his ass.
Nextyell owns the midwest, but got in way too late as far as cell towers to do more than try out here. Old 900 mHZ technology too.

Spent a few years in LMR and Cellular/PCS

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
I have verizon and the lg flip phone. I also use the wilson cell antenna that is mounted to the tire rack on the jeep. I was going across the gloden crack in moab and was on the phone with full service. Also get full service on the dusy.
Kory
Old 09-15-2003, 11:35 PM

Since I have lived in LA (96) I have had

LA Cellular
Sprint
PacBell Digital
AT&T
and now Nextel which is by far the best.

I have Nextel, most people in my industry have Nextel, and it's great. I've been to the mountains, the deserts, the ocean, Las Vegas, Long Island, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ridgecrest, the middle of nowhere, and have always had service. Sure in the middle of nowhere (Salton Sea) I might have to go to the top of a ridge, but I can still get service. You can't beat the walkie talkie thingy if you do alot of brief conversations and now that's even nationwide. I do know the phones seem to go out of tune (?)after a while though as my friends doesn't always work inside where it used to yet mine does.

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 09-16-2003, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
I don't have any land lines at home, seemed like a big waste to me plus its nothing short of a racket when you look at and compare costs to using wirelss phones.
My wife wants to do the same thing. She feels jacked by the pricing for service. We currently have AT&T Wireless for cell service and so far, not too many dead spots. We had Verizon before and they just didn't work for us. Maybe if I wasn't using the base model phone I might have had better service. But even when I bought a middle of the line phone, I still wasn't all that happy.

I guess I should add what kind of goodies I have too, uh? Family plan with 500 shared minutes with free Nation wide long distance. I guess that is one for getting rid of the land line.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Whatever anyone does as far as cellular phones and service go, if you do complete opposite from what William is doing, you are bound to be all right. I can understand maximum 50% of what he tells me when he is on the cello.
Of course, this is coming from the guy with a phone that's cracked in half, right??!?!?!?
Old 09-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Of course, this is coming from the guy with a phone that's cracked in half, right??!?!?!?
even cracked in half it still get better coverage than your whole one
Old 09-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by William
I believe he got a nice new whole one, with a pretty blue backlit screen.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
even cracked in half it still get better coverage than your whole one
Nah, mine just selective screens phone calls!