Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-16-2002, 11:50 PM

Triangulated upper, shocks and a HP 9"

Took 18 grueling hours but its 90% done. The axle I got was an 1" too short so I'll have to run spacers or get a new housing. Other then that the set-up turned out great!
Old 05-17-2002, 04:51 AM

Smile

Looks good. Bet you can't wait to finish up and get that thing out on the trails.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:51 AM
Administrator

It looks as if you have a fair amount of lift. With that height and the need for more stability, why triangulate the shocks to the center of the body?

I see it done a lot and often wonder why give up stability for more travel.

Any thoughts?

The arms and their triangulation look really good. It also appears that you clamped off a stainless braided brake line with a pair of vice grips. If so, keep an eye on it, you may have crushed the inner teflon liner. If not, no worries.

Are the shocks adjustable? When you mount them at an angle like that, you greatly reduce their dampening and sometimes need a stiffer shock to compensate for the increased leverage against them.

At a needed 1/2" per side on the width, that is a tough one. An awkward dimension as it too thick for longer studs and too thin for normal adapters. Good luck, you may have to go with 3/4" ones.

Do the springs have a lot of bow in them at ride height? Hard to tell from the pics. It looks like the axle is slid back and the upper spring pad needs to follow.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
It looks as if you have a fair amount of lift. With that height and the need for more stability, why triangulate the shocks to the center of the body?

The shocks are temporary and were used to get me home. I am having a hard time finding a better spot due to my raised gas tank and skid. But I am adding a Sway bar in the rear with Heims to add stability.

I see it done a lot and often wonder why give up stability for more travel.

Any thoughts?

The arms and their triangulation look really good. It also appears that you clamped off a stainless braided brake line with a pair of vice grips. If so, keep an eye on it, you may have crushed the inner teflon liner. If not, no worries.

Thanks for the heads up, it looks fine and the brakes bled easily but I'll keep an eye on it.

Are the shocks adjustable? When you mount them at an angle like that, you greatly reduce their dampening and sometimes need a stiffer shock to compensate for the increased leverage against them.

Going to get the new DT1200s

At a needed 1/2" per side on the width, that is a tough one. An awkward dimension as it too thick for longer studs and too thin for normal adapters. Good luck, you may have to go with 3/4" ones.

I am going to borrow 1" spacers from a friend and try them out on Sunday, if their too much we might have to cut out the frame (jk)

he springs have a lot of bow in them at ride height? Hard to tell from the pics. It looks like the axle is slid back and the upper spring pad needs to follow.
They are bowed and the axle is too far back, that will all be adjusted on Sunday.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Looking good Beast!

Blaine is right in that you do lose a little damping. Where I used to be happy with my RS9000s at the 3 setting, I now prefer them at 4 or 5 (wish there was a 4.5). 4 is just about perfect, but 5 kills the wee bit of extra roll in the corners.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Quote:
Originally posted by Beast40
I am having a hard time finding a better spot due to my raised gas tank and skid.
What about running them to the inside edge of your lower arms, or do you plan on running your exhaust through there?