Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 04-17-2005, 01:56 PM

Question Recommended Rocker Protection

Well, just about everything else is being changed on my 2000 TJ, so I thought I'd check in on rocker protection. I currently have Durango 4x4 rocker guards in place, and while I like the look of them, I have a couple of concerns.

One, their original design was for a non-body lifted Jeep. Since I long ago went with a 1" body lift, a shop I previously did business with did something of a hack job on the guards ... cutting off 2 of the 3 body mount brackets, such that only the center one remains, which means that a lot of the compressive load is borne by the array of button-head bolts going through the side of the guards and into the Jeep's sheet metal.

Secondly, as an accessory, there is a bolt-on step ... http://www.durango4x4.com/w/detail.a...-CA34EBA69F24}. Now, the step is solid and beefy, and it's a truly convenient way to get in and out of a lifted Jeep (and my wife would probably kill me if I removed them). However, in a hard wheeling situation, they essentially defeat the clean line of the guard, and could either get hung up or possibly ripped right off. I suppose I could take them on and off as-needed, however, that seems like a bit of a pain to do.

So, based on the above, what is recommended in terms of rocker protection that:

1) Works with a 1" body lifted TJ,
2) Is strong and gets the job done, and,
3) Has an effective method for getting in and out of a lifted Jeep, without resorting to something being bolted on below the business end of the guard?

Any thoughts or suggestions here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

IMO, your #3 requirement pretty much negates any reasonable rocker guard. If this truely is an issue for your wife, you may want to consider having her use a stirrup that she can flop out to use and then pull back in once she is inside. I've seen a number of ladies on the tail use this and it works well. A friend of mine in CA actually had a stowable mini-ladder that his wife could tuck under the front passenger seat. It was even painted with the same theme as his CJ. I was completely impressed when he showed it to me.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:37 PM

Stu,

In looking around a bit on the Internet, the Toys-by-Troy and AEV rocker guards look like they might solve #3 with their extended "nurf-bar" type arrangement. In this approach, nothing is hanging down below the guard's lower edge, and yet you do have something of an effective "step" to put your shoe on when either getting in or out of the vehicle. What do you think?

Don
Old 04-17-2005, 04:01 PM

2 things to also look for/keep in mind.....

1. Find a rocker guard that extends all the way under the tub so that the area between the frame and sill is protected. I have the Currie guards and they fit this requirement nicely.

2. Get some 3/8ths x 4" wide aluminum and use it inside the tub as a acking plate. Cut it to length and either tap it or thru bolt it. Blaine showed me this trick and it works. I have had the entire weight of my rig leaned over on my rockers with no ill effect.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
2 things to also look for/keep in mind.....

1. Find a rocker guard that extends all the way under the tub so that the area between the frame and sill is protected. I have the Currie guards and they fit this requirement nicely.

2. Get some 3/8ths x 4" wide aluminum and use it inside the tub as a acking plate. Cut it to length and either tap it or thru bolt it. Blaine showed me this trick and it works. I have had the entire weight of my rig leaned over on my rockers with no ill effect.
Robert,

Thanks for the tips. I went to Currie's site and see what you're talking about. However (and I can check with Currie tomorrow), do you know offhand if Currie's TJ Rock Ribz rocker panel guards can accommodate a 1" body lifted TJ and still engage the frame? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-17-2005, 05:58 PM

Don,
While I'm not quite sure what you mean by engaging the frame - I have a Currie body lift on my rig as well as the rock ribz guards and it all fits/looks fine.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Don,
While I'm not quite sure what you mean by engaging the frame - I have a Currie body lift on my rig as well as the rock ribz guards and it all fits/looks fine.
Robert,

I asked the question, due to the fact that on Currie's site, it mentioned that the TJ Rock Ribz rocker guards "extend all the way to the frame". I just assumed that this meant that they bolted up to the frame in some fashion. Whether they do that or not, you pretty much answered my question in terms of your having a body lift plus the Rock Ribz.

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-17-2005, 06:54 PM

Ah, now I see where you were headed. The Currie product uses the tub only. That's where the backing plate really comes into play. Can't be shy with the drill either
Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by DC
Stu,

In looking around a bit on the Internet, the Toys-by-Troy and AEV rocker guards look like they might solve #3 with their extended "nurf-bar" type arrangement. In this approach, nothing is hanging down below the guard's lower edge, and yet you do have something of an effective "step" to put your shoe on when either getting in or out of the vehicle. What do you think?

Don
Don,
I have the TBT rocker gurads you speak of and I guess I don't consider them much help in getting in and out of the TJ. The reason I say this is that the "step" is just a couple of inches below the door threshold. To me, that doesn't seem like much.....but for someone else, I guess it could make all the difference in the world. When I think of steps, I think of those hidious things they put on full size trucks that hang down 8" or so. Glad they don't make those for TJs.

I agree with Robert.....make sure the rocker goes well under the body to protect it and likewise, all the way up to the edge of the door for the same reason. I've beat the heck out of my TBT guards and they have done well.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:50 PM

i running the Four X Docter rocker guards (very similar to teh AEV) and have had them since 97-98 i belive, though this is my second set they have been great. first set was beat up pretty bad from rocks and the powercoating was flaking on the top, near the door. when mike duncan (owner of 4xd) saw them he told me to send them to him and he sent me a new set, paid shipping both ways too. i was impressed being they had tons of rock rash on them already. somthing to be said for a company that stands behind there products even when the customer wasnt complaining.
just my .02
here is the only pic that shows them i have hosted. i could find a better one if your intrested.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:36 AM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
What about under the flares? Does the sheetmetal end there?

sorry about the blatant site pimp.

AIM: Dukes69
Old 04-18-2005, 08:43 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukes69
What about under the flares? Does the sheetmetal end there?

sorry about the blatant site pimp.

now you post this, after I installed PSC rockers and am not completely satisfied with their coverage.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:01 AM

what flares? you dont need flares, i opened up my wheel well to the end of the rocker guard.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 AM

i've run the 4xdr's for 5 years now or so. as far as the step comment, i agree with stu. with a 4"+ lifted jeep, that "step" is up there. better off tossing your foot into the footwell and hoisting up by the cage or something. they can come in handy when offroad as a step and of course for the "bumper" monkeys.

i haven't had a problem with the lack of protection to the frame or fenderwell to fenderwell. yet. frankly, up here, the less space mud, water, sand, and salt have to gather and sit the better. not an issue in the SW i gather.

also, most of the powdercoat is gone, either by flake or by wirewheel at this point. powedercoat is not even a viable option up here.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
now you post this, after I installed PSC rockers and am not completely satisfied with their coverage.
Sorry dude. Is there some kind of rocker excange program out there?
AIM: Dukes69
Old 04-23-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJP98TJ
i've run the 4xdr's for 5 years now or so. as far as the step comment, i agree with stu. with a 4"+ lifted jeep, that "step" is up there. better off tossing your foot into the footwell and hoisting up by the cage or something. they can come in handy when offroad as a step and of course for the "bumper" monkeys.
Yeah, I know what you and Stu are talking about, as it's not much of a step that hangs down per se. However, it can nevertheless be used as something of a step (especially when getting out of the Jeep for my wife). In this regard, it's better than just a smooth-sided rocker guard where there is absolutely nothing to put even a part of your footwear on as an assist).
Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 PM

I have the AEV ones and have beet the snot out of them and they are doing great. I know there are others now with the under body extension but at the time this was it.

I would also recoment that if you go with the AEV's use self tapping screws and not the rivets they provide for some of their mounting points

here is a little rite up I did on them so I could get them at a better price

AEV rocker guard review

Scott
Old 04-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
here is a little rite up I did on them so I could get them at a better price

AEV rocker guard review

Scott
Scott, the links to make the photos larger are all dead, they give "The requested URL was not found on this server." when you click on them to make them big enough to see.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:42 PM

Damn maybe I need to change servers sience I am still using the one that the place that laid me off pays for I am amazed it works at all I think the DNS part of it i s down may I can get something working if any one really cares.

Scott
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
I have upgraded to Rock-It Man rockers last week.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:52 AM

DC,

what suspension are you running? I have a possible solution for you, although it goes away from the grain of this site......
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 11-05-2005, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
DC,

what suspension are you running? I have a possible solution for you, although it goes away from the grain of this site......
I have a 4" Full Traction long arm suspension. However, I ended up going with Currie's Rock Ribz rocker guards several months back and I have been very happy with them. And my wife learned to use them to good effect (in terms of using them as something of a step for getting in our TJ), so that aspect worked out as well. In any regard, thanks for responding to my post.