Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM

Steering Setups....

Greetings all. After hours of researching steering pumps, boxes, ram setups etc. I've discovered a lot of partial threads and inconclusive projects. Blaine I know you've been down that road, and know several others here have done, or are doing something. My bottom line issue now is that I don't have the power to turn my tires in the rocks. Currently stock box/pump, currie links, built HP30, and 35" red label Krawlers on beadlocks, stretched TJ. At 6psi it goes where I point it, but pointing is the problem.

Is it enough to boost the box and pump only? I've not found anyone saying this accomplished "enough" without going to a small ram. Lee, Howe, PSC etc... with bigger bore and I "believe" with sector bearings not bushings....

If I would need a 1.5" Ram, I believe there was talk of a canned solution at some point with "best of breed" parts....

That's the crux of my question, "best of breed" on the Box, Pump, and if needed the Ram setup using the stabilizer replacement concept.

Mostly what I see is "just use the redneck ram setup", but I don't believe that's the right answer for me. I'd rather spend and get it right....

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_KY_98TJ View Post
Greetings all. After hours of researching steering pumps, boxes, ram setups etc. I've discovered a lot of partial threads and inconclusive projects. Blaine I know you've been down that road, and know several others here have done, or are doing something. My bottom line issue now is that I don't have the power to turn my tires in the rocks. Currently stock box/pump, currie links, built HP30, and 35" red label Krawlers on beadlocks, stretched TJ. At 6psi it goes where I point it, but pointing is the problem.

Is it enough to boost the box and pump only? I've not found anyone saying this accomplished "enough" without going to a small ram. Lee, Howe, PSC etc... with bigger bore and I "believe" with sector bearings not bushings....

If I would need a 1.5" Ram, I believe there was talk of a canned solution at some point with "best of breed" parts....

That's the crux of my question, "best of breed" on the Box, Pump, and if needed the Ram setup using the stabilizer replacement concept.

Mostly what I see is "just use the redneck ram setup", but I don't believe that's the right answer for me. I'd rather spend and get it right....

Thanks in advance,
Scott
We're working on some stuff with PSC. Let me get caught up a bit and see where it's all at.