Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Introduce Yourself
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introduce Yourself This is a welcoming section of our bulletin board. New members, after completing the initial registration process, please stop here first to say ?Hello?

Old 11-10-2001, 07:57 PM

Hi everone. Someone please welcome me before my self esteem fades...

So I'm talking to this Cali guy about some of the stupid things going on inside some of the "pop" Jeep boards, and he asks me if I would like to find a place that has some intelligent life. Naturally I'm intrigued. Following a one day wait, he sends me this link. Thanks Blaine.

I see some familair names on here, and some new ones too. I've been wondering where all the names I used to know have gone; now I've found some of them. From my brief look around this looks like a nice place.

Now, I think I heard there's a pimp around here...I gotta find him...

97 TJ. Not stock.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:57 PM
Reggae

Welcome Jim M

I am sure you will love our Lollipop Park of the big jeeping Internet world. JeepBBS is a young, but constantly growing community, that is very flexible in front and in the rear continuously adjusting to the needs of our members, and trying to step on as less toes as possible (Excluding William’s toes, he wears boots made out of steel reinforced concrete, he doesn’t care).

Please make yourself comfortable, and enjoy the bumps!

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 11-10-2001, 09:08 PM

Good Luck finding the Pimp, or anyone else today.

Ever since the Pimp was made moderator he's been diddling with himself watching Backstreet Boys videos and has been too chafed to come out and play.

1800pimpbegone

Anyway, hi there!!

Sean M Higgins
higs@higsrigs.com

Beers are never strangers, just friends who's heads you haven't ripped off and sucked all the life out of, before smashing them in the trash barrel.

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 11-10-2001, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the delay Jim. I was working on that disc brake conversion I have been talking about and it went perfectly. I will do a short write-up on it soon.

Let me know if you still want your plates.

btw- Welcome, please enjoy and be not afraid to be yourself. None of the rest of us are.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 11-10-2001, 11:14 PM

OK then...
Welcome Jim M
there you go, feeling less of a fade now? ?

Matt
Old 11-10-2001, 11:49 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Heya' Jim,

I hope your self esteem is waxing with each welcome post. This board doesn't have the most traffic but it's information is reliable. I think you'll enjoy it, I sure do!

Jeff
Old 11-11-2001, 03:46 AM

Welcome Jim! If you get up Idaho way, hook up.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:07 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:

btw- Welcome, please enjoy and be not afraid to be yourself. None of the rest of us are.

[/quote]

DId you mean that nobody else here is afraid to be me?

Thanks for the welcome wagon. I've seen that traiffic can be low, that's fine. If anyone looks at my JU membership, you'll see I've been there for over two years. I always enjoyed the way things moved kind of slow in the beginning and people got to know each other. One of the best things was when a question was asked and nobody knew the answer; a few people would work it out together and make the results known to everyone else. I get a sense that this board is the same way.

Blaine, I would like to see the write up and maybe some photos of the conversion before you send me those plates. I'm almost positive I'll want them, so please hold on to a set.

Now that my confidence and self esteem are bolstered, I would boldy go forth and proceed to make a fool of myself in the technical sections.

97 TJ. Not stock.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim M:

Now that my confidence and self esteem are bolstered, I would boldy go forth and proceed to make a fool of myself in the technical sections.

97 TJ. Not stock.[/quote]

You'll have me for company!
Glad to see you here Jim.
Ron
Oh yeah, you gotta have a space before and after a smiley......
Also, I can't get on your web site to get the low down on you.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:11 AM

Welcome, can I get you a cup of coffee?

Hi Jim M.

I'm not very technical, but if you have any fluffy questions I will do my best to answer them.

JeepKat
Old 11-11-2001, 08:21 AM

I had the oportunity to go Jeepin' with Jeep Kat. She's not fluffy at all on the trail. Not only is she the first to stack rocks but she's a darn good spotter, takes excellent pictures, makes excellent coffee, and is what most would call an excellent "Jeep Chick". I say she's just a great person.
Say Katherine, do you have any pictures of our Hammers ride last weekend?
Ron
Old 11-11-2001, 08:47 AM

Well Ron, I don't have a site. I don't have time to make one. Another reason is that I'm like "stealth Jeeper". I've been on countless trail rides, but have almost no pictures taken of me. I'm usually up front and clear the obstacle before those behind me have a chance to get out and see what's going on. Not bragging at all, just seems I'm always in the front of the line because I'm never late.

Quick bio: Wheeling began 13 years ago with a Chevy S10 Blazer. Sold it after several years and got into fast German cars. Did a little street racing and a few SCCA things and decided to then go fast on the water. Bought, modified and went way too fast on a Sea Doo XP. Then my wife decided that going 70 mph a foot off the water was too dangerous for me. Sold the ski, and began modifying the TJ in earnest. I have about 9 years of off roading experience, with about two years on real rocks. Been wrenching since I can remeber with my Dad, so I've done just about everything once.

My basic philosophy on modifying the TJ is to keep it strong, light and simple. I'm not a fan of complex, and I'm really into lightweight. I will not sacrifice strength for weight savings, but I will save where I can. As I said, simple is often better. It has been my experience that on the trail things break. They never break on a dry, flat field, but always in a stream crossing, a steep hill, off camber rock, etcetera. Simple is easy to fix, complex is generally bad in those situations.

I wheel on the east coast. The conditions here tend to be smaller rock, covered in slick stuff, with lots of trees and tight trails. Often the only line through is dictated by the trees and steep hills. We have nice things like road salt also. I'm also a guide at Paragon Adventure Park. Some of you may have heard of it.

Now that you know more about me than you care to, any questions?

There is no bolt on kit called driver skill. If you want it, you have to actually go out and drive...offroad.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:15 AM

(Blush)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
I had the oportunity to go Jeepin' with Jeep Kat. She's not fluffy at all on the trail. Not only is she the first to stack rocks but she's a darn good spotter, takes excellent pictures, makes excellent coffee, and is what most would call an excellent "Jeep Chick". I say she's just a great person.
Say Katherine, do you have any pictures of our Hammers ride last weekend?
Ron[/quote]

(Blush) Ron here's the link. My site is under construction so you won't find it if you go there.

http://www.justaddrocks.com/Johnson_...onnet_pass.htm
Old 11-11-2001, 10:52 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Nice photos!

Jeff
Old 11-11-2001, 11:09 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hi Jim,

Welcome and glad to see an east coaster here. (it helps keep the board better balanced)

If you ever get to Arizona, stop by and say HI!

Stu

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 11-11-2001, 12:16 PM

HI from Michigan

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 11-11-2001, 03:47 PM

Welcome Jim, glad you're here!

I was out in some of our local rocks covered in slick stuff today and developed a renewed sense of respect for you east-coasters that wheel in this stuff all the time!
Old 11-11-2001, 04:31 PM

So am I the only one from the right coast?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

There is no bolt on kit called driver skill. If you want it, you have to actually go out and drive...offroad.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:13 PM

Well I will pop in with a hello

HELLO

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 11-12-2001, 05:00 AM

Welcome Jim, from your neighbor on the right coast and fellow long-time JUer.

Lots of good folks here. I'm usually in lurk mode, waiting to jump on a CJ thread

Lynn
'71 UNIVRSL
Old 11-12-2001, 02:25 PM

Hey Jim,
Welcome aboard - I have been riding Blaines' case for no pix of the disk brake conversion that we did on Saturday. It must have gone to smoothly to stop and take pix along the way because before we knew it, we were done

I like hearing your thoughts on light weight. I was headed in the opposite direction until a flop over got me thinking. I put my Jeep on a diet last April and haven't looked back.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 11-12-2001, 02:48 PM

I first got into the light weight thing as a mountain biker. I ride a large (I'm 6'2", 225#) full suspension Trek. Fully decked out and trail ready it weighs in at 28#. I've ridden heavier bikes, but didn't like the way they cleared the obstacles. Then, while watching a group of Zuks at Paragon spank the Jeeps I thought about why. Turning radius didn't come into play on those trails, ground clearance was in the Jeeps favor, power was in the Jeeps favor, and gearing was about even. Then, as one of the Zuks got high centered the answer presented itself; four guys went over and LIFTED it off. These guys were so light, 6 guys could literally carry it. They cleared tons of stuff more easily, and got unstuck more quickly, than the Jeeps.

I haven't gone whole hog into drilling out stuff and replacing parts with carbon fiber etc, but I do try to consider strength to weight. I still run stock bumpers. Why? They're lightweight and easy to bend back into shape when they get wrinkled. I won't run them forever, but they work for the way I wheel. I also run MTR's over Swampers due to weight. I reluctantly put rear corner guards on after nearly ripping the fenders off twice. The main place I save is in the stuff I carry. It's important to have tools and spares, but I never wheel alone. Do I need to carry a high lift on the trail? No, everybody else has one I can borrow. For spare axles, one guy carried the D35's and I carried the D30's. I also wheel with less than half a tank of gas. Where I play, we are within a few miles of gas at all times. I can idle around all day on 5 gallons of fuel, and I save about 80 pounds or so.

Sorry to be so long winded. Those are some of my strategies, but I'm always changing and thinking about others ways to cut back on the bulk.

Old 11-13-2001, 11:31 AM

Welcome!

T3
http://www.geocities.com/alancaster_esswest/jeep.html
Old 11-13-2001, 02:33 PM

No apples, but hello.

R/
William
Insert witty statement here.
Ask me about my feelings about squirells.