Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Introduce Yourself
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introduce Yourself This is a welcoming section of our bulletin board. New members, after completing the initial registration process, please stop here first to say ?Hello?

Old 08-26-2003, 07:06 AM

Thumbs up Hello!

Hello!

I was talking with Joe over on JU and he PM'd me and said I'd like it over here. He was right. While I'm a newbie here, I have some small experience in the four-wheeling world. I've been driving off road since 1968 and was the Editor of 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility magazine for about a decade. I now freelance and write for whoever will pay.

I currently own a '92 YJ with a Corvette LT1, 4L60, 9" front and rearends (about to change to 60's), Detroit Lockers, etc., etc. It's also equipped with the LEAF SPRINGS that many of us older gentlemen (?) like.

It's good to be here. I hope some of us can get together and go jeeping some time!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Re: Hello!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Howell
Hello!

I was talking with Joe over on JU and he PM'd me and said I'd like it over here. He was right. While I'm a newbie here, I have some small experience in the four-wheeling world. I've been driving off road since 1968 and was the Editor of 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility magazine for about a decade. I now freelance and write for whoever will pay.

I currently own a '92 YJ with a Corvette LT1, 4L60, 9" front and rearends (about to change to 60's), Detroit Lockers, etc., etc. It's also equipped with the LEAF SPRINGS that many of us older gentlemen (?) like.

It's good to be here. I hope some of us can get together and go jeeping some time!
Alright Phil, I have a question for you after the obligatory welcome. Welcome.

Why did you decide not to keep that very cool white TJ that you sold to John?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:40 AM

Welcome Phil,

Here's my little speech.....

Normally I start out with "I don't know you.....", but I know who you are.....so back to it.....

At last you finally found me.

You'll enjoy having me here, taking my advice, and my witty sense of humor. I am the complete package.....

Don't forget to check out my forum....."The Dumb Post of the Day". Funny stuff in there.

That said, welcome! You're a fine addition to any board. 4WD&SU is my favorite mag, I was sad to see you leave.....

By the way, what's a leaf spring?

Is it like a coil spring?

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:44 AM

Hello Phil,
It seems we are almost neighbors! I'm always looking for new people to wheel with and new places to go. I used to spend lots of time in your neighborhood on the way to fishing spots until I retired and discovered Colorado.
I've studied my topos and was wondering what kind of trails are between Colorado City and Springdale. Have you explored much in that area? Have you ever been out to the Arizona Strip in the Mt. Trumbull/Mt. Dillenbaugh area? It's one of my favorite places to spend a few days camping and exploring.
Anyhow, welcome to the board!
Ron
Boulder City, NV
Old 08-26-2003, 09:48 AM

Mr. Blaine,

I had to sell the TJ because I was uncomfortable driving on those bed, er, COIL springs that were on it. You see, since I learned how to four wheel in a buckboard with leaf springs, I just couldn't leave my roots too long. Really, though, the Helldorado TJ was a very nice Jeep. I needed to sell it to finance my move to our new home a few months ago. Since John was doing the buildup, anyway, he was the first person I offered it to.

Allen,

You're RIGHT! I'm so happy I found where you are, with your wit and intelligence shining through every post you make. In fact, I'm sort of a dim bulb compared to most of you here with all the erudition on this board. I hope you can take the time to decipher my meager attempts at technical advice or humor.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:53 AM

Ron,

Yes, I've spent a lot of time out by Mt. Trumbull, although I haven't been out there as much lately now that the BLM has destroyed the meadow near where the sawmill was.

The area between Colorado City and Springdale is SWEET! We call it Canaan Mountain and it has everything from red sand, to slickrock, to pine trees and aspens, with the added benefit of Zion N.P. views to the north. I'd really like you and Joe (and anyone else, for that matter) to come up here some time and help me run the trail there so I can do a feature in 4WD&SU magazine on it.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:42 AM

Phil,
I'm ready most anytime! I'm getting ready for a solo trip to Moab for Labor Day with friends and then on to Colorado. My plans are always flexible.

Here's Joe and I on a trail from Mesquite up the Grand Wash Cliffs:

Here's Joe at one of my favorite look outs:

Joe fixing a flat tire:

Down in the depths of the Grand Canyon towards Molly's Nipple.

I like to take and show lots of pictures.

Let me know when ever you need some one to wheel with!
Ron
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The area between Colorado City and Springdale is SWEET! We call it Canaan Mountain and it has everything from red sand, to slickrock, to pine trees and aspens, with the added benefit of Zion N.P. views to the north. I'd really like you and Joe (and anyone else, for that matter) to come up here some time and help me run the trail there so I can do a feature in 4WD&SU magazine on it. Thanks for the welcome!
Welcome Phil,
While at the Big O in St. George getting some trailer tire repairs back in April, I got a nice earful from the manager about wheeling in this area. He was quite enthusiastic about it. I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime myself. Getting in the magazine however, is a non issue with me though as long as I am with friends and folks who appreciate the area

One last thing, I got a early introduction to you as the day that I bought my TJ at Don A Vee (March 98), I was looking at a beefed up Sami on the lot that apparently was built by you and featured in the Magazine.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:48 AM

Hi Phil! Welcome aboard. Your right, I gotta get up your way sometime in the near future. My work schedule is in a state of flux right now, but when things smooth out a bit we'll have to do some trail runs!

Ron is always a fun addition to any trail run, and many other members here as well.

Again, Welcome Aboard!!

Joe
Old 08-26-2003, 11:03 AM

Yeah, I know that some people would rather not be in a magazine. That's O.K. I'll separate the "don't cares" from the "cares" when it comes to photo time.

I don't always want to shoot trail rides for a magazine. It's just that this Canaan Mountan area is SO cool, I really want to do a feature on it. I'd especially like to go on a weekday, as weekends around here can get crowded with not only 4x4's, but ATV's as well (although that particular area doesn't seem to get quite as many).

Hey, Ron -- I haven't been to that place on the Grand Wash Cliffs. Let's go!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Hey, Ron -- I haven't been to that place on the Grand Wash Cliffs. Let's go!
Just say when! The weather is getting good for that kind of trip. We could do some neat trails in a day out of St. George.
Gee, I'd hate to see my Jeep in a magazine 'cause then I'd have to buy a dozen copies to send to my friends and family.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:11 PM

Welcome Phil. I'm with Allen - 4WD&SU is the only magazine I subscribe to - it has great trip write ups and not a lot of chrome.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 02:36 PM

4WD&SU seems to be making a small effort to get back to us -- the non-rock buggy crowd. The buggys still creep in, but it's nice to have Mark Nobles (the Editor) ask for trail features and other stories that are relevant to family, club and backcountry four-wheeling, which is still 95% of the four-wheeling that goes on.

Brad Lark's Extreme4x4.com is going through a revamp right now. I like writing for that site, too.

I will write, though, for anyone who'll pay!

Sadly, I'm a mercenary.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:51 PM

Welcome Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
Welcome Phil,
Here's my little speech.....
Don't forget to check out my forum....."The Dumb Post of the Day". Funny stuff in there.
Allen
Just keep in mind that all of the posts in "The Dumb Post of the Day" are make-believe and you'll do just fine over here.

Welcome again,
Kat
Old 08-26-2003, 07:04 PM

Re: Welcome Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
Just keep in mind that all of the posts in "The Dumb Post of the Day" are make-believe and you'll do just fine over here.

Welcome again,
Kat
Make-believe? Are you kidding? There's some award winning journalism in there.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Mr. Blaine,

I had to sell the TJ because I was uncomfortable driving on those bed, er, COIL springs that were on it. You see, since I learned how to four wheel in a buckboard with leaf springs, I just couldn't leave my roots too long. Really, though, the Helldorado TJ was a very nice Jeep. I needed to sell it to finance my move to our new home a few months ago. Since John was doing the buildup, anyway, he was the first person I offered it to.

It's a good thing you cleared that up. I was of the mindset that you were not looking forward to all the crow you would have had to eat with the retraction on the article you wrote a few years back.

I even asked John when you were going to print it and at what venue. Of course, that was about a week before it was done.

Darn it and I was really looking forward to a review of John's work from your perspective. I figured if he couldn't make a coil jeep work the way you wanted it to, no one could.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
It's a good thing you cleared that up. I was of the mindset that you were not looking forward to all the crow you would have had to eat with the retraction on the article you wrote a few years back.

I even asked John when you were going to print it and at what venue. Of course, that was about a week before it was done.

Darn it and I was really looking forward to a review of John's work from your perspective. I figured if he couldn't make a coil jeep work the way you wanted it to, no one could.
Ah yes. The TJs suck feature written by Phil.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:39 PM

You people with your cushy coils that allow all that articulation, a great ride on fast, rough stuff and a Wrangler that is equipped with factory equipment that works, don't know what you're missing! Even if you USED to run a leaf sprung Jeep, you no longer know.

Really.

I mean it.

Stay tuned for my YJ coil conversion coming soon.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You people with your cushy coils that allow all that articulation, a great ride on fast, rough stuff and a Wrangler that is equipped with factory equipment that works, don't know what you're missing! Even if you USED to run a leaf sprung Jeep, you no longer know.

Really.

I mean it.

Stay tuned for my YJ coil conversion coming soon.
Even though the performances by the other actors was subpar, Kilmer's was one of the best I have ever witnessed in a movie. Great signature!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:51 PM

Blaine,

Thanks! I agree.

How do I make the signature bold like all of you have done?

(Please don't put this in the dumb post of the day, Allen.)
Old 08-26-2003, 09:03 PM

By the way, what's a "Junior Member?" It sounds phallic, somehow, and I think I should be offended . . .
Old 08-26-2003, 09:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
Phil, welcome. I am glad to see you have made it here.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Blaine,

Thanks! I agree.

Edit your profile and add {b}sig{/b} to the front and back of the sig. Replace { with [ and } with ] The forward slash is the off switch and no forward slash in the two brackets is the on switch.

Turn on bold, Turn off bold. Also works with IMG for images and i for italics.

You now have the sum total of my computer knowledge.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:51 PM

Welcome Phil. I have enjoyed many of your writings.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:14 PM

Quote:
By the way, what's a "Junior Member?" It sounds phallic, somehow, and I think I should be offended . . .
Phil,

Go up to the top & select "user cp", then click the Edit Profile. Scroll down to where you see this:

Custom User Text:
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
You may enter up to 25 characters.
Check the reset box if you wish to use the the default title for your usergroup and post count.
HTML is not allowed.

The Junior Member "label" is basically tied to a post count, it eventually goes to Member, Senior Member, etc. If you edit this area, I think you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Blaine,

Thanks! I agree.

That won't happen.....

I love the movie.....have the special edition DVD.....

I now have signature envy.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:44 AM
AA reject

"YOUR A DAISY IF YOU DO......"

Welcome Phil.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:58 AM

Joe,

Even if I could change the label, I wouldn't. I AM a "Junior Member!"

Also, thanks for the welcome Ron, Blaine, Allen, Paradiddle, Kat, T.Dome, Tumbleweed, Joe and Chris. You people really know how to roll out the welcome mat!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Joe,

WARNING: You don't have to change it. It will probably magically change on it's own.

I went from Board Bulldog to my present title after driving through the Rubicon Springs water crossing with no doors. My brother and I had water up to the bottom of the dashboard.

Don't need to go heeled to get the bulge on a dub like you.......
Go ahead skin it, skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.........
I'm getting tired of your gassing, pull that pistol and go to work......
I said throw down boy......
You gonna' do something or stand there and bleed........
I thought not, alright youngster out you go!

I just love dialogue like that.
I kind of felt sorry for poor Billy Bob.

I've said this before but that movie inspired me to read several books about Wyatt Earp and to visit Tombstone and the area. Very interesting stuff.......
Old 08-27-2003, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Joe,

Also, thanks for the welcome Ron, Blaine, Allen, Paradiddle, Kat, T.Dome, Tumbleweed, Joe and Chris. You people really know how to roll out the welcome mat!
Gee Phil, you make me feel like Allen - you forgot to thank ME