Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 08-18-2003, 04:13 AM

Wheeling at Rausch Creek (PA) this weekend

Anyone want to wheel this weekend at Rausch Creek? I have decided that I have worked enough at the park this summer and this weekend I am just going to wheel.

Mid-Atlantic will have their ride this weekend, so if you want different trails than I, you can jump in with them.

In case anyone has no idea what Rausch Creek is, or where it is located, go here: www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org
Old 08-18-2003, 05:29 AM

Mark,

I used ot be a guide at Paragon before the new format there. Since then I've lead a few trips, but done nothing this year. I've been interested in RC as it is a new place to wheel. Is there any way you could compare trails at the two parks?

I'd love to check out RC soon, but next weekend is the start of the MD state fair and I play a small role in the horse racing there so I must be present during the opening weekend. Perhaps early September?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:41 AM

I will put it to you this way: The trails are being cut by Lynn (TealJ), who cut many of Paragon's trails. That, coupled with the fact that we are only 35 miles south of Paragon, makes the terrain comparable. We do have a very large glacial deposit that is an awesome trail for the big guys. It is about 1800 feet long and in places, 150 feet wide. Very large boulders and flat.

If you go to the website and click on the gallery, you can see pictures of some of the trails. We do not have as many trails as Paragon yet, but we have only been cutting for just over a year. We are constantly adding new trails or extensions.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Banned

I went to RC last Sat. Well, Lynn did a great job cutting the trails consider such a short period of time. . It is going to take a while to have similar type of trails like Paragon.

I was be there for only one day and did not start wheeling until 11:30 despite we got there 8:30, :banghead: I wheeled with folks who are relatively new to this sport and ended up running all blue trails, I was falling to sleep. I guess it is becasue I did not have much sleep the nite before, no radio, and had no passenger. I did manage to do the first section of Rock Creek which is not hard. It does require a good spottor.

A few members of Poorboys with their rock buggies (4) came to play including CJLogos. All have have rockwells front and rear with 44" tires. Logos banged the hell out of his front rockwell and busted either the arm and front DS. I think they bailed out from the second exit. Lesson learn: Either know your line or use a spotter.

I hope I will be back soon and give the Park a good thorough check . I am really looking forward to seeing more M-trail, Pipe Bender or Undertaker type of trails. When Fall comes, hopefull can help to build some trails with Omar and Lynn.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:17 AM

Maybe you will have more luck getting Omar to come out than Lynn has.

We have a 1000 acres now, with assurances from the landloard that if we build it out, we can have more. There is a lot that we have not discovered yet, so the hard trails will come.

That was Poor Boys second trip to the park. They have been having fun with the big rigs....
Old 08-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Banned

We just need to help Omar to fix his TJ. He will have his confidence back .

I have no doubt that RC will play a significant role for each of us wheelers here in the North East. I like what I have seen, and we will be patient to let RC to grow.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:40 PM

us??
Old 08-18-2003, 08:11 PM

Omar's alive? I've sent him a few emails that have gone unanswered. His site is till up, so I figure he's around.

I'm looking forward to checking it out. I'll be out in September.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KJP98TJ
us??
Yes..... you. If we can go up Sunday River for the Jeep Jam, you guys can drive down. It is just about 8 hrs top.

Jim, you have been busting your balls working. Are you planning to retire soon? Hey before you go back on the trails, please check if you can put into 4 low . It may be struck permannetly at 2 Hi.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJP98TJ
us??
We had a hummer ride a few months ago. Their were guys from California, Michigan, Washington, Ontario and some other states and providences. They travel all over.

And, so many of us yearn to make a pilgimage out to Moab and other parts west. When are the west guys ever going to come see our stuff? We have rocks! And mud is just the stuff you drive through to get to the rocks.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:00 AM

Oh wait...there?s mud!?! I HATE mud. Tell me you were kidding. There's way too much mud at the "other" PA park north of RC, but I was hoping you guys had solved the mud problem. Mud is hell spawn. Mud is a muncher of seals, a devourer of transmissions, and it usually just plain stinks. I've lobbied Congress to make mud illegal. I actually think it should be un-Constitutional. Mud just plain sucks!

Seriously, is there much mud? I really loathe the stuff...

Linyee, I?ve used 4 low around the house on a regular basis. I've pulled several small trees, used the TJ to compact some dirt, and it also acts as a yard truck to move my trailer around. All of those activities took place "off road". So you see, I've been off road plenty lately. I've even driven it to work both days this year that is hasn't rained. Seriously, after the MD state fair things slow down for me and I'm getting out. I also have a special trip planned for early October, but the TJ isn't invited. Are there any trips planned for September that I should attend?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mark99tj
And, so many of us yearn to make a pilgimage out to Moab and other parts west.
Yeap ..... It has become my annual migration to either Moab and or Colorado since 2001. It is not a bad drive at all, take 2.5 day to CO or 3 days to Moab. Wait.......go thru KS is the worst part. It seems it grows everytime we were there

Jim, I know you have priorities. Wheeling will always be there when you are ready. As for me, Big Dog Main Jambo in Gore, VA is being considered. Any time you want to head to RC or Paragon just let me know. I am longing for some old fashion wheeling - shut up and wheel, and no whinner
Old 08-19-2003, 05:45 AM

bah, sunday river? mole hill. we like katahdin.

will get to paragon, RC sometime. jonfund, a club in CT or MA, has a big trip there every year, was just last week or so.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Banned

Hey... I am wanting to go to Katahdin for a long time. What is like there? Any organized ride there? Can outsider go there? etc....... I know that New Englanders usually very quiet about their wheeling spots which I understand becasue the proximity of NYC and Boston.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:11 AM

it actually has to do with there are zero public wheeling spots in most of New England. state and federal lands are no motorized use, or under 1000lbs. in CT, MA and NH you need explicit written permission to wheel any privately owned land. we are kind of lucky here in maine, that a lot of land is privately owned by paper companies. they are very good about having lands open to multi use. however, companies are having problems, selling large plots of lands....you see where that is going. plus in ME, we are not written permission yet. we are making great strides in getting organized, and into one voice and opening up lands. we have the north east association of 4wd clubs with several clubs and hundreds of members organized into one voice, getting written permission to wheel and make trails on large tracts of land in NH. basically the big spots you hear about up here are quasi legal. so those of us that are organized, don't like the unorganized to rip up those spots, and drawing attention. kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

i was actually kidding about katahdin, it's in Baxter State Park, alas, no wheeling. however, there is quite a few of us that make treks up near the park, and wheel just South and East of it. (Millinockett if you get to a map) we've got a few trails that we know of, with some very nice creek beds that are still to be explored, opened up and conquered.

here's some pics from this July: http://www.neow.net/kjp/images/7-29-03/117-1765_IMG.JPG

if you are serious about coming up, "we" have this trip usually a couple times a year. one coming up in late Sept or Oct.(great foliage) check out http://forum.neow.net head to the wheeling events section and check out the "EMWF" threads. keep in mind, it's a long way from no where, very primitive camping, and it's not a huge terrain park like RC or PAP. just old logging, skidder, etc trails and creek beds.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Seriously, is there much mud? I really loathe the stuff...
Up until 2 months ago, we could not find mud. There are many trails without mud, but with the summer we are having, even the dry trails have some mud...... Let me know when you want to come up, and I will ensure that you get trails without mud (or with as little mud as possible-- it have been raining ALOT!!).

We have a lot of rocks. And I hate mud too. The mud saying was something we came up while trying to get some t shirt sayings.....