Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2003, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ary'01XJ
Securing Jeep to U-haul trailer......questions, please help asap!

Ok, I have to tow my Jeep 180 miles to get the ARB installed because there isn't anyone local that is competent enough to do it(I lost a bearing in the rear-end which is why I can't drive it, and it's worth the hassle of towing the Jeep to avoid pulling the entire axle out). Anyway, I rented a U-haul trailer that is rated to haul an XJ. One problem, my XJ doesn't have 225s on it anymore......it has 33s. The tire straps don't fit over my tires, so I can't use U-haul's method of securing the Jeep. I didn't feel comfortable with just the front tires anchored and a safety chain looped over the rear axle anyway, so what do I do?? How do you guys that tow your Jeeps on trailers secure them? Thanks

BTW, this is a car-hauler, i.e. not a tow dolly.

Ary

P.S. The Jeep is pulled all the way forward on the trailer as per U-haul's instructions, but looking at the tow vehicle('99 Yukon) it seems to tongue heavy. Recommendations? Thanks again
Old 08-07-2003, 04:42 PM

First, you definitely want it tongue-heavy vs. balanced or tail-heavy. It needs at least 10% (10-15%) of the trailer's gross weight on the tongue for it to tow properly without swaying. So if the Jeep and trailer weigh 5500 lbs together, then the tongue weight (the weight on the hitch ball) must be no less than 550 lbs.

How about cinching the axles down with ratcheting heavy-duty cinch straps?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:03 PM
AA reject

Run the straps inboard of the tires and over the axle, then strap her down. Just be carefull not to pinch any lines. I had this same problem once with a u-hual trailer and strapping down bigger tires. It worked fine. If you have a winch hook that up as well. Throw an extra come-a-long on there also.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I did it exactly like Chris did it. If you get in a situation where that safety chain gets used than you're in big trouble anyway.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:12 PM

Ok, I did just like you guys said, and it works great. One problem, it's terribly bouncy going down the road. Even at just 40mph. I think I have the right drop reciever as the trailer is leaning just forward, just as much as the rear of the truck is sitting down, so I think that part is right. I just think there's too much tongue weight. Here in lies the problem with the "universal-fit" method of doing things. Nothing ever fits just right. Any ideas?? Thanks

Ary
Old 08-07-2003, 10:20 PM
AA reject

What are you towing it with?
You may want to move it back a littlle so that there is more weight over the center line of the trailer axles.

"OR" maybe turn the jeep around on the trailer and see if there is a difference in the way it handles.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:02 PM

'99 GMC Yukon...

I may try turning the Jeep around in the morning. However I think that will take my problem to the other end of the spectrum. I think if I were to move the Jeep back 8-10 inches it would be perfect, but then I'd be left with alternative strapping methods. I guess I'll just mess with it tomorrow and see what gives. Peace

Ary