Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-05-2004, 01:56 PM

Transfer Case noise in 4x4

My transfer case makes a noise in 4x4 like the chain is slipping. However, I dont think this is the problem. I have read the other threads regarding this problem. Can someone give me an accurate fix to the problem. Do I need to replace the transfer case? Is their an adjustment on the linkage that will fix the problem. Please help....Its snowing and cant go anywhere.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 02:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Can you describe the noise? Why don't you think it's the chain?
Old 01-05-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Can you describe the noise? Why don't you think it's the chain?
I've just heard conflicting stories about how a chain cannot jump a tooth or slip. The noise sounds like a grinding noise in the transfer case. If I turn left or right the jeep wants to buck up and down or if I give it gas it makes this horrible grinding noise. Last summer was the last time I used the 4X4 doing some light river crossings and everything was find until I went to the mountains. Can the linkage cause a problem. Sometimes the 4x4 light comes on in 4x4 and sometimes it wont. Weird..
troy
Old 01-06-2004, 03:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to helander14312
doesnt sound like your t-case to me. it sounds like your vaccum shifter on the front axle that locks the front end . if you look on the front axle on the passenger side there is a diaphram. this is what locks your front axle. there is a fork on the inside that slides a collar to lock your axle together. when these go bad they dont lock the axle together all the way... that is what makes a banging and grinding noise. to tell for sure if it is this you can take the motor (diaphram) off and manually lock it together. drive it a little and see if it still makes the noise. you will obviously have to put it back on b4 you drive around otherwise you will leak oil all over. just manually slide the collar to lock the axles, reinstall the motor, but dont reconnect the hoses and see what happens. dealer is expensive for this part so i would recommend quadratech for it. (www.quadratec.com) or 4wd hardware (www.4wdhardware.com)
best of luck
Old 01-06-2004, 07:23 AM

Sounds great!!! I had it in the jeep dealership for some vaccuum line problems. Maybe the jacked something up. I will just do it myself this time.
Thanks