Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Reggae

No Trailer Jeep Tow

Please excuse me, if you find my question ridiculous, I have zero towing experience.

Is it possible to tow a jeep like this?

I am thinking about getting a truck to tow the jeep behind, and sleep in, but I have no place to store a trailer.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:17 PM

Yeah, its possible. I think you'd be happier sticking with the tried and true flat towing method. You have hubs, so it'd steer fine.... just aim for a strong truck with good brakes and plenty of power.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Reggae

Smile

Something like this?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Banned

Sergy, of course you can flat tow your Jeep behind a truck. Did that for many years with no problems. The best way to achieve this is to run a full floater in the rear. That way you can unlock your hubs at both ends and don't have to worry about any "accidents" with regards to transmission/transfer case positions.

That said, it is really nice to be able to put the Jeep on a trailer (with brakes on all four wheels) and not worry. You also have good braking. You also have a way to get your broken vehicle back home.

Now what kind of trailer? Some like to run the longer trailers. That way they can put more stuff on them. Some like the shorter kind. Just the right size for a Jeep and a few sticks of firewood. Also easier to find a place to park.

Good hunting for the solution you will be happy with.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 PM

I flat tow mine for the same reason you stated. No place to stow a trailer. I flat towed it with a Detroit in the front and rear with no problems. I have the front hub and rear Ox now. It's really simple to do except for the fact you can't back up.
I tow it behind the fifth wheel!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Reggae

Question

Thank you for the input. It is very valuable.

The two reasons I consider the configuration pictured on the top is that:
a) It would allow backing up with the jeep hooked up (limited indeed, if the steering is not locked, but anyway)
b) I do not have rear hubs, and I would still be able to tow if I break the rear axle (yes the hubs can be added, but that would increase my track, and introduce little 5x4.5 hubs in the center of the wheels that I scrape on the rocks mercilessly (I damage rear wheels much more than the front))

The towing arrangement has to be ether permanent on the truck, or compact, so I can store it under my bed (so to speak). There is no reason for me to buy a dolly, as it would not be different from buying an actual trailer. I can't store a dolly on the front lawn.

What I've found so far are the large under lift systems, meant for professional wreckers. Those would occupy pretty much the whole truck bed ? not gonna work.

Maybe if there was some kind of removable drive on thingy, that would work. But before I try to figure out the details, I have to cover the basics.

Can somebody help me with this question:

What is the rear axle weight of a typical loaded TJ, and how much tongue weight can a typical 3/4 Ton truck handle?
Old 03-04-2003, 09:20 PM

Sergey,

Why don't you rent a u-haul car carrier when we head out to JV? You can then flat tow your TJ and not have to worry about storage costs.

Get a good truck and have a quality brake controller installed and wired to the hitch (any modern truck with a tow package has the appropriate wires hanging under the dash - the install is super easy).

So you spend an extra $50-$75 on the JV weekend - you don't have to store a trailer and you don't have to deal with flat towing.

Remember to flat tow you'll need a tow bracket - those are around $300 the last time I looked - and it will need to hook up to the front bumper of your TJ - not sure if they work with the Currie bumpers.

When you have space for a trailer you can buy a used one.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Reggae

Jeff, that is a good idea, except, I don't want to worry about reserving, picking up, and returning the rental.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Reggae

Smile

BTW, for about half the price of a new 3/4" Truck I could buy a house nearby Johnson Valley. I would use it to store the jeep when it gets broken. Or even keep the jeep there permanently and use the second half of the truck price to buy a daily driver. The main reason why I would not do that is that I am afraid that the jeep would get stolen while I am not in.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Reggae

Talking

Ok. Sorry everyone. Please, concentrate on the picture in the first post. This is what I want to get your opinions about.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:31 PM

I don't think that's going to work Sergey, most hitches are only rated for about 500 lbs. tongue weight unless you're using a Weight Distributing system.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Ok. Sorry everyone. Please, concentrate on the picture in the first post. This is what I want to get your opinions about.
It sucks..........
You'll be sorry you ever messed with it.....
More damn trouble than it's worth......
Take that on dirt roads? Are you nuts??????????? No way.......

Old 03-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Sergey,

I don't see that setup working for several reasons:
  • 1500# or so (guessing that only about 40% of the Jeeps weight would be on the rear wheels due to the angle of the rig) is way too much tongue weight for any type of pickup truck unless you get the weight over the axle (like a fifth wheel)
  • The mounting plate setup capable of supporting that load would probably be heavier and much more difficult to mount than you think
  • To back up with this setup, you'd have to somehow rigidly mount the Jeep to the mounting plate. Otherwise, it's going to want to pivot about this point when you go in reverse
  • Do you really want to fab up brakelights/tailights up front near your headlights?

My advice is to get some sort of pickup or other vehicle that is capable of flat or trailer towing your Jeep (i.e. big enough engine and a tow package so you get the hitch and coolers and pre-wireing for the brake controller. For about $100-150, you can buy a towbar and brackets that will easily mount to your front bumper. This method is the least taxing on the engine since it's the lightest but the most demanding on the brakes.

I know you didn't like Jeff's suggestion of the U-haul trailer but it really is not a bad way to go. Last year at JV I rented one for the weekend for about $50. They have surge brakes so you don't need the controller, though you may want one in case you ever borrow somebody elses trailer.

This last time to JV I flat towed and it was no problem whatsoever. To me, this seems the best for your situation. If you were to break down and needed a trailer, you could either borrow a friends or run to town and rent a one-way trailer. With no way to store it and not wanting to pay storage fees, I don't know what else you could do.

BTW, now is the best time to buy a vehicle, used or new, that I've ever seen. I can't believe all the discounts, rebates and financing I see in the paper every weekend.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:00 AM

personally I think towing this way is a bad idea. It would be ungainly and very hard on your truck.

That being said, there is a special type of tow hoist designed primarily for auto repossesion. It mounts under the truck bed, leaving the tow truck looking just like a normal pick-up. This way the repo man can drive around looking for his target and not tip anyone off by having a tow truck casing the area. Essentially the cradle telescopes out and functions much like your drawing. Most likely such a set up would be very expensive.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:56 AM

Sergey,
I would concentrate on getting a capable truck first and then plan to flat tow with it. For the price of a trailer, you can get yourself a really nice Warn fullfloater set-up for your TJ's rear axle and then you will never have to worry about whether or not you can tow your rig if blow up an axle. Trailers are not all they are cracked up to be as they add maintenance and cost into your situation and frankly, they can be a real pain in the ass to store if you are in a close quarters housing situation - I know this from experience
Old 03-05-2003, 10:11 AM

Sergey, I think you'll find lots of pressure removed if you flat tow it due to the fact you have another vehicle. You won't be helpless and you don't have to feel dependent on your friends.
I suggest a 4x4 pick up to feel even more confident, but that's just me.
Also you can carry a ton of parts and tools in the truck. A spare axle or two? A motor and transfer case? some BFG Krawlers in case the MT/Rs don't stick?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:22 PM

I do not chime in often here but I do flat tow a lot and have had ZERO problems flat towing. The only drawback (other than wear & tear on the Heep) is that you can not back up and you do not have trailer breaks. I think a 1/2 ton truck is too lite if you plan on doing a lot of flat towing. I works in a pinch and I use my 1/2 ton truck to flat tow but I am very careful. I think it is very hard on my 1/2 ton truck in terms of breaks and engine (struggle). I am in the process of getting a 3/4 ton diesel that will solve this problem for me.

I'd love to get a nice trailer but I do not want the hassle/expense of storing it when I am at home and then the hassle of towing it and manueving it when I get the RV to its destination. Flat towing is really hassle free.

TJRON - What is the length limitation to truck + 5th wheel + flat towed jeep?
Old 03-05-2003, 03:52 PM

Just and idea, but have you checked to see what used flat bed tow trucks sell for?

I have no idea, but it's kind of a combination of the flat towing ideas and the trailer idea.

(edit)

I just checked on Trucktrader.com to answer my own question.

There was a 1992 diesel izuzu flat bed tow truck for $9500, and a 1996 ford f-450 wrecker with a large diesel engine (7.? liter, I think) for $16,500.

Just think sergey, you coule start a jeep towing business on the side.

Sergey's Johnson Valley Towing Co.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

This is a very good idea, Shalom. Not that expensive too.

What my life would be, if I drove a tow truck daily?.. I think it'd be all right, just got to remember that "ya'll" is singular, "all ya'll" is plural, and "all ya'll's" is plural possessive. Also I should get used to hear from other big'ol tow truck drivers, "You ain't from around here, are ya?"

Sergey's Johnson Valley Towing Co.
I love it! I already got the slogan:
"If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Sergey in a four-wheel drive tow truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help him, just stay out of his way. This is what he lives for."
Old 03-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Banned

Sergy, here is the picture I posted a couple of weeks ago. You could build the truck now and get a home to tow later. Plus, this way the truck can be your daily driver and you never have to remove the Jeep. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: gif jeff rig.gif (85.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 03-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Yea, it doesn't even have to be that big, something like an International 4200 Lo-Profile crew-cab with a tilt bed would work just fine.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottyY2K

TJRON - What is the length limitation to truck + 5th wheel + flat towed jeep?
In most states that allow double towing it's right at 65' and you're suppose to have a special license to do it.
I think I'm at 63' and have been looked at but never been stopped in NV, CA, AZ CO or UT. I don't plan on trying it in any other states.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:01 PM

Red face

If you're poor like me, pick up a used Dodge with the Cummins, a cheap cabover, and make a tow bar for the Jeep - works great for me. Heck, I get better gas mileage towing the Jeep (without the camper) than I do driving the Jeep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001335a.jpg (29.2 KB, 223 views)

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-05-2003, 08:51 PM

Oh geeze,
DanB98TJ has a Dodge Diesel and a Gay Jade Jeep! I didn't knowthey used that color in '98. Must have been left over paint from '97.
Those style Dodges are cool.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:39 AM

Yeah, but I don't have any rainbow stickers on mine....... :-D

I like the looks of the 1st Generation Dodge better, but the 2nd and 3rd Generation trucks are easier to find parts for, both aftermarket and NOS. Kinda wish I would have bought a 4X4 though.....but I'm not gonna complain much - my 2WD gets 18/21 MPG+ emtpy.

Sergey - If you look hard, you can find a Dodge 3/4 or 1-ton with fairly low mileage for about what you'd pay for a new Kia Rio. I paid $10k for mine, but that was from the original owner and it only had 47k miles on it. One thing I did notice is that you can't really rely on KBB/NADA value - the Dodge Cummins trucks hold their value extremely well, and even the 200k+ mile junkers were bringing over book value in Tucson. It does take some looking but the good ones are out there.

I was hesitant to buy a diesel because of the noise and smell but have absolutely no regrets.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Oh geeze,
DanB98TJ has a Dodge Diesel and a Gay Jade Jeep! I didn't knowthey used that color in '98. Must have been left over paint from '97.
Those style Dodges are cool.
He needs some primer and stickers to really qualify as 'gay jade'....

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)
Old 03-06-2003, 09:40 PM

Yeah Marc,
It looks like he hasn't left any fairy dust on the rocks. Mine used to look like that when I bought it. Now the poor thing looks like a battered step child.

Hey Dan, We don't need rainbow stickers with our color! Actually, I've learned to like it. At least it's not the same color as every one else's.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:46 PM

Nah, haven't got the paint...yet, just three out of four flares.

I really like the color, too. Not a lot of 'em around town, but there is one with the same wheels and top, but unlifted....freaks me out every time I see it and I'm not driving the Jeep.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:45 AM

I doubt theirs many around that could be mistaken for mine!
Old 03-07-2003, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
I doubt theirs many around that could be mistaken for mine!

GAY JADE!!!!!

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)