Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-04-2002, 11:37 AM
Reggae

Cool Painting Garage Walls And Ceiling

I need to paint the garage white. It?s drywall, never been painted before.

A simple roller will be used.

I need recommendation on need/kind of primer, and paint as well as general tips and suggestions.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:20 PM

Sergey,

I have a roller tool, long handle, and pan that you can use too. Tarps as well. You'd just need pan inserts (under 20 cents) roller pad, and paint. I'll help you paint too.

You should use "Skilz" primer, I used it on bare drywall and it only took one coat to sink in. They sell it at home depot in El Cajon. I'm not sure about paint. It depends upon what you're looking for the paint to do...
Old 06-04-2002, 12:34 PM

wear a hat. paint in the hair is no fun.

eggshell or semi gloss will leave a finish that can be wiped clean with a damp towel. look at the finish in a bedroom vs a bathroom and decide.

another vote for kilz sealer/primer, it works very well.

Brush about 4" on both wall and ceiling where the wall meets the ceiling first, then roll the ceiling then roll the walls.

if you need to mask anything, the blue masking tape comes off easier than the tan stuff, but it is more spendy.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

How's the tape job on the joints? If it's shabby, now's the time to sand them down and/or tape and mud them if need be. If you don't, the finished work won't be as nice looking as you probably want.

As for the primer, you could probably use any appropriate one since you're probably not painting over stains, etc. Kilz is a good brand and is available at Home Depot.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:05 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Mucho Gracias!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:05 PM

I have one of those orange peel blasters we can spray your garage with that won't have to worry about the tape but boy does it make a mess
Old 06-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Reggae

I plan on moving all the junk to one side of the garage. Paint, wait for it to dry, and then move the junk to the just painted side, and paint the other side. I guess that would put usage of paint blaster out of the question, would it?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:25 PM

Could place a plastic wall up shoot one side, then switch and do other if not to many obstacles on wall, shelves and what not it s probaly faster to roll
Old 06-04-2002, 02:00 PM

The paint expert in my house (my wife) has never used a primer on drywall. 1 coat primer and 1 coat paint = 2 coats. She just does the 2 coats with the paint. She painted our garage 12 years ago and the paint is still fine. She also uses exterior paint as she claims it scrubs up better and is better paint.
Me, I wouldn't have a clue except I want to see a picture of you after you paint the ceiling!
Old 06-04-2002, 02:06 PM

Yeah,

use the enamel based Kilz for the best buzz. Not that I'm telling you that is the best thing for your brains. Heck, you're an adult. Paint it, close the door and breathe deeply.

You'll have one hell of a headache in the morining.

Hunter
Old 06-04-2002, 02:17 PM

Here's another vote for the exterior latex. Semi-gloss interior would be my second choice, but it looks like stink without lots of prep. As Ron mentioned, exterior paint is tough, looks good on imperfect surfaces, cleans up well, and it's even UV resistant if you're going to be welding.

Clean/brush off any dust/dirt before starting. If anything is bad use a light solution of no-rinse tsp. (cleans, soaks in, paint likes it) Drywall takes well but peeling will start from the problem areas.

Dave
Old 06-04-2002, 02:27 PM

I've painted our entire house (inside) - some rooms twice.

Get a Wagner Power Painter - the $60 power roller that takes 4 d batteries (or you can come up and borrow mine). Home Depot sells them.

They kick ass - make painting easy and do not require a drop cloth (I never use one - and this is on carpet).

There is no splatter and since you don't have an open tray full of paint there is little chance to spill. It does use more paint and is a slight pain to clean, but I wouldn't trade mine in for anything.

Let me know if you want to borrow it.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2002, 03:33 PM

Likely primer will be cheaper than paint, so thats one good reason to use primer for the first coat. Also, since its a garage, you might could get 5 gallons of the cheapo contractor stuff for cheaper than 2 gallons of paint or one gallon of paint/primer. Usually its off-white, and I have seen it on sale as cheap as $25 for a 5 gallon bucket. Its not like you'll keep your garage walls pristine anyways. Home Depot always has it, but I don't think its always on sale. Good Luck, the best thing about painting garages is its a helluva lot easier to clean spilt paint from concrete than off of carpet...

Tim
Old 06-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Banned

Wink Tom Sawyer

Sergy, did you ever get to read this book by Mark Twain?
Old 06-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Reggae

Smile

Yes I did.

Listen up folks! For the limited time you can experience all the pleasures of garage painting yourself. And the best part, it would only cost you $5 an hour!

Bring your own supplies and paint.

Old 06-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Banned

Talking Like a native

And white paint, too....
Old 06-04-2002, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Yes I did.

Listen up folks! For the limited time you can experience all the pleasures of garage painting yourself. And the best part, it would only cost you $5 an hour!

Bring your own supplies and paint.

I'll do that, and you can deduct the 5 dollars per hour I owe you for painting for the 10 dollars per hour fee of pulling the weeds and digging out the weeds around the stump by my drive way!!

really though, if you want a little help, I'll gladly come by!!
Old 06-05-2002, 07:17 PM
AA reject

Sergey--
A standard PVA primer should work ok, but KILLS would be better. Fix any bad tape areas. It's probably only taped for fire code, so you will probably see all joint lines after painting is done. Make sure the surface is clean and dust free. It would be a good idea to spray a heavy orange peel texture on it, and would help to hide any defects that are already there. If you do any spray work, do a LOT of covering. It takes more time to prep than to actually spray the texture. Buy a roll of plastic {1 mil 12'wide} and some 3m spray glue, and some 2" masking tape. Cut a piece to fit the floor area, and hit the corners with the spray glue to keep it in place. If there is no lid on the ceiling, then you may want to spray glue and tape the ceiling joist's to keep the mess down. The texture goes everywhere, so what ever you dont want splattered, cover it up {door jams, molding, switches, etc.}

Chris L
"PROFESSIONAL SPACKLE MASTER"
Old 06-06-2002, 08:10 AM

I should not have forgotten we have the Spackle Master on board.

Dave
Old 06-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

How much paint do I need to cover 1000 square feet?
Old 06-06-2002, 11:41 PM

plan on 300-400 sf/gallon. it should be listed on the can.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:51 PM
AA reject

Quote:
How much paint do I need to cover 1000 square feet?
1000 Sq ft = 4 gallons

If it were me, I would go with two coats of primer on unpainted drywall. That will make your paint go a little further. Kills primer dries in like an hour depending on the weather. Also, if you dicide to spray some texture, the raw material will suck up some of the primer, that's why two coats would be ideal.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Reggae

Thanks for the inside Chris! One question: 4 gallons in your formula, it is for one coat, or is it 4 gallons of primer and 4 gallons of paint?
Old 06-07-2002, 09:30 AM
AA reject

Quote:
Thanks for the inside Chris! One question: 4 gallons in your formula, it is for one coat, or is it 4 gallons of primer and 4 gallons of paint?
Serguy--
Don't use the kills. Get the Zinzer 123 primer from Home depot {latex version}.

As for the paint, use a latex enamal semi glass. Get the upper end stuff from home depot {not the bear brand they carry} or go to Dunn Edwards and get the really good stuff.

For coverage on the primer {1 coat}, your looking at around 250 sq. ft. per gallon on a smooth or orange peel textured surface.

For coverage on the paint, your looking at 350-450 sq. ft. per gallon for the finish.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:38 AM

Segey, as you're doing this job keep telling youself what I kept telling my wife, "IT'S ONLY A GARAGE!" Or, is it for something other than working on stuff?
Old 06-07-2002, 09:50 AM

What kind of curtains are you putting up
Old 06-07-2002, 10:47 AM
Reggae

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
What kind of curtains are you putting up
Iron.