Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Sirius or XM

Came across this site and it really seems there is no clear winner.

If you had a choice which would you perfer?
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
i have sirius and love it my dad has xm and loves his too.

sirius: 3 sats over continental usa beaming right to your rig. works up to 200 miles off shore.

xm: 2 sats beaming to repeaters that send to your rig.

both loose signal in dense trees sometimes.

i dont think you can go wrong either way.

my sirius has lots of rock and roll and big sports.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 AM

I use xm and love it. Zero commercials on music stations.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 AM

Sean/higlett had XM and we listened to the same station in the desert, all the way to big bear, etc. Worked great. Cool that it survives dust etc much better than other stuff.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Banned for being bad

Seeing that Clear Channel owns 30% of the shares I would pass on both.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth

Why?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Not myopic, just need glasses

We bought a new car last year and it came with xm. We had a problem with it a few months out. On our Xmas trip across country it just died. Radio acted as if it didn't have xm at all. Dealership had the car for 3 days until they could find the problem. A new radio, alot of excuses, and it was fixed. Sorry to say still dont know what the problem was, but it works great now. Houston to Chicago without missing a beat.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that because of the Howard Stern thing? If it is where do I sign up to get one.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
Is that because of the Howard Stern thing? If it is where do I sign up to get one.
Do you even understand the Howard Stern issue?? Do you know why he is a target? Do you not endorse free speech? Do you understand why Clear Channel did a backflip on him just after they renewed his contract? Do you know who heads the FCC? Do you understand the relationship with J Bush and Clear Channel?

You could be the poster boy for Clear Channel
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Do you even understand the Howard Stern issue?? Do you know why he is a target? Do you not endorse free speech? Do you understand why Clear Channel did a backflip on him just after they renewed his contract? Do you know who heads the FCC? Do you understand the relationship with J Bush and Clear Channel?

So what does this have to do with xm. it's great. I think I'll keep it.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Quote:

NO! To all your questions.

So why?

I like XM it's great for driving x contry in the MH and not listen to crap. And Nascar channel!

BTW Stern is a a$$hole IMO.

hinkley
Old 03-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by igofshn
So what does this have to do with xm. it's great. I think I'll keep it.
As of now Clear Channel owns with the exception of a few, all of the major radio markets on the East Coast , Texas, and San Diego Ca. and is growing everyday, and it now holds major shares in Sat Radio as well. Clear Channel is one of if not the biggest supporters of George Bush and his brother. When Howard spoke out in favor of gay marrage and stem cell research and no longer endorsed George Bush because of his views on the above issues that when they came after him and used Janet Jackson as a stepping stone.
Clear Channel will own Sat Radio in the near future and I for one will not support someone so against free speech. And you do know who heads up the FCC don't you??

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hinkley
NO! To all your questions.

So why?

I like XM it's great for driving x contry in the MH and not listen to crap. And Nascar channel!

BTW Stern is a a$$hole IMO.

hinkley
You just don't get it do you?? It doesn't matter if you think Stern is a asshole or not, it's what we all give up if they do pull him from the airways.
And enjoy your XM now while you can because your programming will change when Clear Channel takes over and the religious right moves in.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
You just don't get it do you?? It doesn't matter if you think Stern is a asshole or not, it's what we all give up if they do pull him from the airways.
And enjoy your XM now while you can because your programming will change when Clear Channel takes over and the religious right moves in.

First off Sat and FCC controlled airways are two completely different things.

The end user pays for Sat service and if it aint what they want they (me) won't pay and it will go away.

Why do you answer stuff with all these questions? If you want to make a point answer them for us who don't know. Are you involved in the industry to have inside knowledge of what is "REALLY" going on? Some explination of that would help you convince me that XM is the anti-christ and should be killed. Until then your posts don't hold much with me.

Yes it does matter if I think he is an a$$hole or not to me, just like you think XM and CC are a$$holes to you.

hinkley
Old 03-08-2004, 03:19 PM

I'm pro XM, but anti Clear channel. Now, let me explain. I could give a rats buttock about Howard Stern. But unlike the anti Stern masses, I choose not to listen. He's not entertaining to me, he's not funny to me. But, he's not offensive, stupid, but not offensive. So, I just don't listen. Pretty simple. No big hub bub.

Now, Clear Channel. My opinion is that since they've taken over several radio stations, the quality of radio has diminished. New stuff is played that not many people like, and it's played, played and replayed till it's beyond dead. Certain popular songs are played so much they are dead. This is accross several types of music, not just one genre. I feel that Clear Channel is not providing a clear open segement of music. I choose not to listen to a station operated by them. Political support aside, I just don't like them, how they operate. So, I vote by my non participation in listening. And when asked, I state as such. (I do participate in surveys, etc.. it's a manner of voting).
Old 03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Reggae

I heard XM has plans to rebuild the King Solomon's temple in Jerusalem.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I heard XM has plans to rebuild the King Solomon's temple in Jerusalem.
Yeah? I heard that Osama is planning to use it to micro wave our brains and make us all start eating squirells.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Reggae

Ok. You called my bluff.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned for being bad

Colin Powell's son heads the FCC, to be fair I guess a lot of you have not followed this story, you should!! A long story short is Stern is not backing Bush for a second term and this will not happen on Clear Channel airwaves. I am surprised TObject that you of all people find this a joke, this should ring a bell for you. Oh and Mark if you can not figure out what the FCC and the radio airwaves have to do with one another then you need to get your head out from under that jeep and get some fresh air

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Reggae

Well, I just admitted that I bluffed when I said XM was going to rebuild the temple. But if that's in fact what they are doing, it's not funny.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:38 PM

I don't support GB either and I am a regestered republican. I don't like his comments about marriage. I also don't support his handling of the war and I'm retired military. Who cares who runs the fcc. I hope he makes a lot of money.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by igofshn
Who cares who runs the fcc. I hope he makes a lot of money.
If you believe in free speech you better care!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Banned

Most of the Clear Channel thing is going to boil down to money. So what free speech have we lost except Howard Stern. My free speach rights have been effected in no way. I here this Howard Stern stuff and everyone yells free speech. Maybe they didn't renew his contract and pulled him off the air because to many people where calling and complaining about him and saying they would support Clear Channel and it's supporting companies. So Clear Channel decided there was a bigger market in clean radio then Howard Stern offensive radio. This is just a thought I had but it may have some truth. Lets face it GB and his supporters do pull a lot of weight when it comes to the money factor.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:30 PM

I like XM!

Jamie - in response to your original question, I've had XM for a year and love it. I lose signal in some of the deep canyons here, but otherwise it works great. I like the weather channel, the wide variety of music, and yes, Fox News.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 PM

Smile

XM radio here and I'm quite pleased with the stations and variety they offer.
Can't comment on the fact whether or not XM is better than Sirius, since I haven't had Sirius
Old 03-08-2004, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up I'm proud of you!

Quote:
Oh and Mark if you can not figure out what the FCC and the radio airwaves have to do with one another then you need to get your head out from under that jeep and get some fresh air
You showed excellent diplomacy skills here.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Let's see...

6 responces to the actual question.
1 responce saying XM is to rebuild King Solomon's temple.
1 responce countering that and saying we'll end up eating squirells after having our brains fried by Osama.
The rest bantering about the rights and wrongs of free speech and how we're being suppressed.

Moral of the story: One can never assume a simple question will end up easy to answer.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned for being bad

Re: I'm proud of you!

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
You showed excellent diplomacy skills here.
Thanks Kat

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh and Mark if you can not figure out what the FCC and the radio airwaves have to do with one another then you need to get your head out from under that jeep and get some fresh air

Go re read it and you'll see your mistake.

Maybe you've been listening to HS too long and his fog of BS is affecting your eye sight.

hinkley