Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-07-2004, 08:11 AM

Control arm mounts, rocker "step", problems, look for solutions ;)

Looking for some suggestions for two specific problems.... Blaine ??

- Control arm mounts, frame end.. They get in the way (of course ).....
Shave and ramp them or........
Cut them off and fab mounts, close to flush with the bottom of the frame rails, moving them inside the frame. This may involve lengthening the j-arms.

- Rockers that I have now are the Curries with welded on steps, sort of like those that are available from Currie now.
Not the best shot of them, but it'll give you and idea of what I have now:

They get in the way (of course ).
Thinking about cutting off the tubing "steps" and maybe just welding a peice of 2" or 3" diameter tubing along the bottom edge. Guess I'ld have to split the tubing somehow, maybe 2/3's or so.
Any other thoughts ??

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 11-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Control arm mounts, rocker "step", problems, look for solutions ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
Looking for some suggestions for two specific problems.... Blaine ??

- Control arm mounts, frame end.. They get in the way (of course ).....
Shave and ramp them or........
Cut them off and fab mounts, close to flush with the bottom of the frame rails, moving them inside the frame. This may involve lengthening the j-arms.

- Rockers that I have now are the Curries with welded on steps, sort of like those that are available from Currie now.
Not the best shot of them, but it'll give you and idea of what I have now:

They get in the way (of course ).
Thinking about cutting off the tubing "steps" and maybe just welding a peice of 2" or 3" diameter tubing along the bottom edge. Guess I'ld have to split the tubing somehow, maybe 2/3's or so.
Any other thoughts ??

Fred
Absolutely shave any part of the frame mount that extends past the OD of the JJ.

I've seen many ramps leading up to the frame mounts. I look at it differently. I would not decrease any ground clearance for any length, period. You may be sliding along a rock that will stick out far enough to get a tire up on as soon as it gets to the mount. If the ramp is there, you may hit the ramp before the tire hits the rock.

Don't recess the mounts until you are sure that the small gain in ground clearance is worth the change in geometry, or the amount of work needed.

I am a big fan of tube split and welded to existing rock rails. It's much easier than you think. Cut the 2.5" tube about 3 inches too long. Grab a same length or longer chunk of 1/8" aluminum angle that is 1.5x1.5. Lay it with the apex up and the two legs of the angle on the tube. Using that as a two sided straight edge, run the plasma down both sides and remove about 90 degrees or so of the tube. Clean up with the grinder, weld to rocker guard.

Rotate it so that you have most of it sticking out and not under. Just want to keep the rocks off the body and slide well.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: Control arm mounts, rocker "step", problems, look for solutions ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Absolutely shave any part of the frame mount that extends past the OD of the JJ.

I've seen many ramps leading up to the frame mounts. I look at it differently. I would not decrease any ground clearance for any length, period. You may be sliding along a rock that will stick out far enough to get a tire up on as soon as it gets to the mount. If the ramp is there, you may hit the ramp before the tire hits the rock.

Don't recess the mounts until you are sure that the small gain in ground clearance is worth the change in geometry, or the amount of work needed.

I am a big fan of tube split and welded to existing rock rails. It's much easier than you think. Cut the 2.5" tube about 3 inches too long. Grab a same length or longer chunk of 1/8" aluminum angle that is 1.5x1.5. Lay it with the apex up and the two legs of the angle on the tube. Using that as a two sided straight edge, run the plasma down both sides and remove about 90 degrees or so of the tube. Clean up with the grinder, weld to rocker guard.

Rotate it so that you have most of it sticking out and not under. Just want to keep the rocks off the body and slide well.
Great point and idea.
On the 2 1/2" tube, do you bevel and cap the ends ?

Thanks again,
Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Control arm mounts, rocker "step", problems, look for solutions ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
Great point and idea.
On the 2 1/2" tube, do you bevel and cap the ends ?

Thanks again,
Fred
Just a flat cap that is the same angle as the wheelwell.