Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Fender Flares

Hey All!

I am wondering what kind of fender flares are out there? I need to gain a little clearance I have the stock flares that came with my 1990 XJ and my rear tires rub every now and then. I would like some real recomendation not the one that come from the manufacturer. I will probably not do alot of rock crawling mainly just trail cruising so I am not too concerned about how much they flex as of yet. any help will be much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

You have to do a little fender trimming to get the tires to stop rubbing, but nothing too dramatic. As for the flares, most go with TJ ones or Bushwacker.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
As for the flares, most go with TJ ones or Bushwacker.
Bushwhacker, the last brand of flares I'd want.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Do the TJ ones fit? how do they look on an XJ? I dont mind cutting, trimming, welding, drilling, whatever I have to do.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Bushwhacker, the last brand of flares I'd want.
For what he wants to do with the XJ, they'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 1990 XJ View Post
Do the TJ ones fit? how do they look on an XJ? I dont mind cutting, trimming, welding, drilling, whatever I have to do.
Yes, it is a very common mod because they can be found for fairly cheap. If you have a 4 door, you have to split the rear ones so that the front part is attached to the door. Some people shorten the flares so that they stop at the rocker molding.

FYI, TJ flares are also popular to get rear tire coverage on the old Toyota FJs.

The Bushwacker look good if you like the pocket style and they don't have the side marker the TJ ones have, but they are more $$$

Here is a link to the Bushwacker install http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/index.asp

TJ flares install http://www.tcinternet.net/users/jkor.../tjflares.html
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
For what he wants to do with the XJ, they'll be fine

Yes, it is a very common mod because they can be found for fairly cheap. If you have a 4 door, you have to split the rear ones so that the front part is attached to the door. Some people shorten the flares so that they stop at the rocker molding.

FYI, TJ flares are also popular to get rear tire coverage on the old Toyota FJs.

The Bushwacker look good if you like the pocket style and they don't have the side marker the TJ ones have, but they are more $$$

Here is a link to the Bushwacker install http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/index.asp

TJ flares install http://www.tcinternet.net/users/jkor.../tjflares.html

I think they are both pretty nice but I think I will be going with the TJ ones for some reason I like them more. Thanks for the info. now off to find some TJ fenders. What years should I look for when Buying?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think they are both pretty nice but I think I will be going with the TJ ones for some reason I like them more. Thanks for the info. now off to find some TJ fenders. What years should I look for when Buying?
I have a full set in my garage from a '97. I had already cut the lip off of the front flares as I was going to put them on my YJ. Found out that most of the remaining fender on the Jeep was mangled to much for the TJ flares to make a difference. Other than the that, I think they would work for you.
I got them for free so they are yours if you want them.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason L Williams View Post
I have a full set in my garage from a '97. I had already cut the lip off of the front flares as I was going to put them on my YJ. Found out that most of the remaining fender on the Jeep was mangled to much for the TJ flares to make a difference. Other than the that, I think they would work for you.
I got them for free so they are yours if you want them.
Sounds like a deal. Is that lip cut off going to be a problem with my install. Are they the type with the side marker light?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Sounds like a deal. Is that lip cut off going to be a problem with my install. Are they the type with the side marker light?
It shouldn't be a problem. Some keep the lip to help line things up, some cut it off because of fitment issues. Plus they're free, so it's not like you're taking a gamble on them.

They all have the side marker, the main differences between TJ flares being 3" flares commonly found on 4cyl, X, and Sport models; 4" flares found on Sahara, Rubicon, and a handful of special edition TJs (Rocky Mountain, etc...); and the Bushwacker ones found on the 03 Tomb Raider.