Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-07-2002, 07:19 AM

Is PowerLok any good???

My rear (and maybe the front) TrueTrac seems to be broken. So much for the theory that I'm easy on equipment. However, I don't really like ARB or any of the automatic lockers. Ox is too expensive (but I may consider it) and everybody I know warns me not to go with a spool (be it mini or full).

I think I would not mind the spool's driving characteristics but am affraid of stressing my "nice" warn shafts and other components. I really don't like the back-lash of the automatic lockers and a manual tranny. The Detroit Soft locker seems to behave better than I thought it would, but I still did not like how it unloded and the fact that I could not tell when it would happen untill it did.

So, with 35's I feel I don't want another TrueTrac and was wondering if anybody had any experience with PowerLok. I hear they're the toughest LSD and if it will hold up better than my TT, I'm sure I will like it. I'm just not sure how long the clutches will last and if it really is stronger than TT to begin with. We do a lot of off-camber snow and there the TT seems to work way better than open diffs or lockers.

Please give your opinions on not just the PowerLok but the DSL or spools as well.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Banned

In the snow I don't see much difference between auto-lockers and my TTs. I haven't seen too much of the low-side finding of lockers either though, so the plusses and minuses of lockers versus limited slips in snow seem to be a wash in my opinion. I prefer the gear based limited slip, rather than the clutches though. In my opinion, the gear-based limited slips catch/grab more smoothly.

I've got a couple of friends that use a "lincoln" locker (welded) and it doesn't seem to be any better than a Detroit or TT in the snow, and actually seems to be a true low-side finder.

If I were doing it, I think I would buy a strong auto-locker (Detroit) if my main concern was snow/off camber. Else, I'd buy a spool (my Jeep isn't a daily driver, so YMMV). Also, I was told the TT was one of, if not the strongest LSDs because it's gear based. I don't know about the Powerloc, but if it's a clutch based LSD I'd have to wonder if it's rated for the size tires you're running and how it would wear over time with large tires.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:11 AM

Milan,
To actually answer your question, yes a Powerlok is a very tough LSD. I know of 2 folks running them, one front and rear in a CJ5 with a 304 V8 in it. Yes, you will eventually have to rebuild the clutches but from what I understand, the rebuild kits are in plentiful supply and you can "tune" the unit for more or less bite.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:44 PM

Thanks guys. Keep em coming, please.