Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-09-2003, 10:05 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
But if you don't have a wench I would suggest you carry a come along....I have just got a wench and I am waiting on a remote but I will still carry a high lift and come along for some things. ...
wench ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wnch)
n.

1. A young woman or girl, especially a peasant girl.
2. A woman servant.
3. A wanton woman.

intr.v. wenched, wench?ing, wench?es

To consort or engage in sex with wanton women. Used of a man.

winch ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wnch)
n.

1. A stationary motor-driven or hand-powered machine used for hoisting or hauling, having a drum around which is wound a rope or chain attached to the load being moved.
2. The crank used to give motion to a grindstone or similar device.

tr.v. winched, winch?ing, winch?es

To move with or as if with a winch.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
What someone needs to do is develop a high strength forged aluminum alloy farm style jack that is perhaps not rated as high as a regular hi-lift, but has enough weight reduction for us weight conscious folks to re-consider carrying one.

I would pay double what a high quality Hi-Lift is worth for a lighter weight version.
1-800-ASK-CURRIE??

Maybe a new product from them. Maybe you could drop a hint or 2??
Old 12-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
1-800-ASK-CURRIE??
1-800-pimpforparts

Maybe a new product from them. Maybe you could drop a hint or 2??
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Quote:
Originally posted by HIGLET
I'm going to toss out the point of terrain. Rick is in Illinois (flatter, muddier? I don't know, one time I was in Chicago though it was so flat I could see my house in North Hollywood from a freeway overpass ) and most who don't like them are hardcore California/AZ rock guys. HiLifts are impossible in the rocks, no doubt. Different terrain may prove to require different tools, and the HiLift may just fit the bill perfectly. I don't have any problems with them, I realize how dangerous they are and try to be careful.
I'm one of the CA rock guys that likes them. Unless you stay tight together, sometimes you cannot get a strap/winch back to a stuck vehicle without traversing some hairy stuff. As much fun as that is for me, some of the guys I wheel with don't rockcrawling backwards. A hi-lift can unstuck a rig quicker than a wary driver can get back into position to do so.

Seth mentioned a rule that I make my group go by, and which applies to Rick's question: Always have at least one hi-lift with the group on every run.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 AM

cbassett, I noticed your signature. Have you seen The Existential Poetry of Don Rumsfeld, it has some more of those.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743255976/002-7137001-6640040?v=glance
Old 12-09-2003, 01:59 PM

Sweeeeeeeet! Just ordered it for $6!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
Hey Bob, question for you????

Is your air jack one of those "Bull Bags" that inflates to lift the entire side of the vehicle up? If so, could you please let me know where you purchased it?

I have been trying to get one shipped from Australia for some time now with no luck.

I had one years ago and while not perfect, I do think they are close to the value of "sliced bread". (At least to me!)

Thanks in advance,

Frank
Exactly the same.

Bought it in Straylia three years ago. Try going through ARB. They market them there and can probably get one shipped here. Also there's a couple of people on this board that seem to regularly go down under, maybe they could bring one back. BTW, I paid $100 for it. I can't remember if that was US or AUS $ though.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:56 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by eurobob
Exactly the same.

Bought it in Straylia three years ago. Try going through ARB. They market them there and can probably get one shipped here. Also there's a couple of people on this board that seem to regularly go down under, maybe they could bring one back. BTW, I paid $100 for it. I can't remember if that was US or AUS $ though.
Thanks for the reply Bob.

As I said I had one many years ago when they were sold here in the States. For some reason, probably product liability issues you can't get them here any more.

Guess I'm going to have to make another trip down under to get me one. (Hey any excuse to go there works for me.

You must be a Navy guy. I did 2 years there (USMC) a while back, and have since vacationed there a few times. What a wonderful country. Hey they have roads that we would call off roading trails! Especially in the Northern Territory!

Joe is there now but I didn't wanted to ask him to carry one back for me given it's size and he is on duty station there for a few weeks.

I will give ARB a call, I never gave them a thought till you mentioned it.

Thanks again,

Frank

PS: If I can get these is anyone else interested if the price is right?

Give me a few minutes and I'll post a link to show what it is I am talking about.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:10 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Here is a link for the air jack we are talking about.

http://www.arouse.com.au/ssl/category.asp

They are called Bull Bag Air Jacks down under.

I had one for years and can tell you I never had a single problem with it ever. Some folks did have issues caused by placing it too close to the exhaust system and melting the bag.

I believe the new bags employs some type of wire mesh heat shield that helps but does not completely eliminate this exposure.

Bob, it looks like you paid in US $'s.

Here they have them for A$245.

I believe the current exchange rate is about US$0.72 = 1 A$. (Not as good as it was two years ago ay 50 cents to a dollar. Pout!)

I'm going to investigate availability and pricing here if I can. When I know more I will post some info if anyone else has an interest.

Frank
Old 12-09-2003, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Here is a link for the air jack we are talking about.

http://www.arouse.com.au/ssl/category.asp

They are called Bull Bag Air Jacks down under.

I had one for years and can tell you I never had a single problem with it ever. Some folks did have issues caused by placing it too close to the exhaust system and melting the bag.

I believe the new bags employs some type of wire mesh heat shield that helps but does not completely eliminate this exposure.

Bob, it looks like you paid in US $'s.

Here they have them for A$245.

I believe the current exchange rate is about US$0.72 = 1 A$. (Not as good as it was two years ago ay 50 cents to a dollar. Pout!)

I'm going to investigate availability and pricing here if I can. When I know more I will post some info if anyone else has an interest.

Frank
Mine came with a sheet of *material that I can't think of right now* that you stick between the bag and the exhaust pipe. It's also for preventing the bag from being punctured.

My bull bag is from Opposite Lock. I don't like most of their products, but liked their design for the Bull Bag.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You must be a Navy guy. I did 2 years there (USMC) a while back, and have since vacationed there a few times. What a wonderful country. Hey they have roads that we would call off roading trails! Especially in the Northern Territory!
Didn't get to go to many places during my port visits (yes, Navy, retired). Been to Perth and Hobart on my trips there. I've been there either 5 times or 8 times depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Frank,

I would be interested in that info.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-10-2003, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
Sweeeeeeeet! Just ordered it for $6!

WOW! The link I bought it from, think the vendor was starcoffee, is fast, I got the book already!

There are some hilarious quotes in there. Comments can paint some funny pictures when taken out of context... but some of DR's pearls in this book are out of this world! I'll have to start rotating my sig to share some of them!
My memoy is horrible, so I can't do the one that just about had me spitting coffee over the keyboard this morning... but it was to the tune of ' you're going to embarass me here, I know I signed the order, I dont remember if it was yesterday or the day before, but I know I signed it.' This was an order to deploy, who couldn't remember the exact day they signed that order?? LMAO
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM

If I find some time in the ensuing holiday mayhem (meaning I'm likely to work everyday thru the holidays , and I haven't even started shopping yet ), I'll see if I can take some pics as a demo of the bullbag that I have.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 PM

Here's the quote:

"You're going to embarass me because I can't remember If it was yesterday or the day before.
I have certainly signed an order, a deployment order, with the respects to movement of forces.
And I just honestly do not remember when."
Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to JMyerz Send a message via Yahoo to JMyerz
Last I checked, ARB imports them. ARB is located in Seattle dor their US office.

I want to say Jim Jackson is the person you want to chat with.

Justin

Quote:
Hey Bob, question for you????

Is your air jack one of those "Bull Bags" that inflates to lift the entire side of the vehicle up? If so, could you please let me know where you purchased it?

I have been trying to get one shipped from Australia for some time now with no luck.

I had one years ago and while not perfect, I do think they are close to the value of "sliced bread". (At least to me!)

Thanks in advance,

Frank