Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to scorpio_vette Send a message via Yahoo to scorpio_vette
budget xj lift

i'm seriously low on cash but really would like to lift my xj a bit. i was looking at a couple budget boosts, but that's almost all stuff that would get tossed once i get my real lift.
i was reading somewhere that supposedly you can put ford f-150 leaf springs in the back of an xj and that would lift it almost 2-3 inches. does anybody know of anything like that. i would almost think they would be to long since they're off a larger truck.
but if they fit, then i could just buy the front part of a lift for now and save a little bit of money till i can finish it off.
any of you have ideas about that, or maybe some other tips you can give me on how to raise it just a little.
if possible i'd like to fit 31's just for street use right now. i'll worry about 31's offroad once i actually get a decent lift.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:48 PM

I think this is what your talkin about. It uses the front Coil springs from an F-150 in the front and parts of a leaf pack from a 91 Dodge Dakota for the rear. Both available rather cheap at a junk yard http://lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Susp...udget_Lift.htm
Old 07-09-2005, 09:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to scorpio_vette Send a message via Yahoo to scorpio_vette
that seems like a really cool budget lift. definitely something i could live with for a year. thanks for you help.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:26 AM

I cant remember where so cannot quote a web adress but i am fairly sure tj springs should give about 2.5 inch lift
worth checkin out maybe
Old 07-10-2005, 04:28 PM

What size tire do you want to run? Figure that out and then find a suspension with enough lift to clear them. Xj's need a lot of lift to clear tires so you need to pay attention to that.

I just installed the RE budget boost on my kids XJ and frankly, for a couple hundred bucks, you can't beat it and that is including shocks. Toss in a set of disconnects and you have a suspension that is all dialed in with days work. 30x9.50's fit perfect and only barely kiss the flares. You can also turn around and sell it on any of the boards too. Beats junkyard diving IMO.