Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-26-2005, 08:45 AM

WJ brake conversion questions

I am starting to chase down parts to do this conversion. I have a few leads on parts but I need to clarify come things.

What year knuckles, and rotors work best?
What year Mustang Cobra calipers?PBR?

I have a Warn 5 on 4.5 conversion. What mods need to be done to the rotor to clear the hub? Do the WJ rotors need to be machined like the TJ ones need to be?

Besides the spacer that I can get from JKS, are there any other spacers that are needed?

Thanks for the help
Pat
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Re: WJ brake conversion questions

Quote:
Originally posted by silvertj
I am starting to chase down parts to do this conversion. I have a few leads on parts but I need to clarify come things.

What year knuckles, and rotors work best?
What year Mustang Cobra calipers?PBR?

I have a Warn 5 on 4.5 conversion. What mods need to be done to the rotor to clear the hub? Do the WJ rotors need to be machined like the TJ ones need to be?

Besides the spacer that I can get from JKS, are there any other spacers that are needed?

Thanks for the help
Pat
All WJ knuckles are the same.

The WJ rotor won't work, you need the explorer Sport Trac front rotors and they will need to be machined to fit the inner hub.

I'll have to check, but I think a .125 thick spacer gets sandwiched between the rotor hat and inner hub to center the PBR Cobra caliper.

At least according to this pic I took.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:42 AM

Blaine,

This .125 spacer is in addition to the .250 spacer that is to be welded to the knuckle?

Will I also need the caliper brackets from the WJ?

Any year WJ-99-04?

What is the best donor for the PBR calipers? Should I be looking towards Mustang Cobra's? If so what year?

Or aftermarket?

And brake lines? Normally, do the extended brakelines from a TJ bolt up to the PBR calipers?

Sorry for all the questions. I just need to get these things straightened out.

Have any need for TJ rotors that have been machined for the samll hub conversion. The ones that I am taking off have 6 months of usage.

Thanks again.

Pat
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Blaine,

This .125 spacer is in addition to the .250 spacer that is to be welded to the knuckle?

Any year WJ-99-04?

What is the best donor for the PBR calipers? Should I be looking towards Mustang Cobra's? If so what year?

Or aftermarket?

And brake lines? Normally, do the extended brakelines from a TJ bolt up to the PBR calipers?

Have any need for TJ rotors that have been machined for the samll hub conversion. The ones that I am taking off have 6 months of usage.

Thanks again.

Pat
I don't have a need for the rotors, but I just dropped off a set of stock ones for someone on here. Need to check my PMs to clear the fuzz out of my brain though.

edit- It's TJeeper on here that I'm doing them for. I'll send him your way if the price is right.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 PM

I'm really not looking for a whole lot of money for them. They come with a new set of PF pads also.

Any ideas on my above questions?

And I have another one. The knuckles that I can get don't have caliper brackets. Is that something that would be affordable through Jeep?

Thanks
Pat
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 06-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Blaine,

Any year WJ-99-04?

Or aftermarket?

Thanks again.

Pat
Pat, MJR on here has 20 sets of WJ calipers, brackets and rotors for sale. They will bolt calipers up to the WJ knuckle. They will not bolt up the PBR calipers which come with their own brackets.

Worst case on the brake lines is you have to get some made with a different size banjo fitting.

Mustang or Cobra, they look identical near as I can tell.

As far as the spacer, I'm pretty sure it's just the .250 and then the 1/8" one. I need to mock it up again and check. Give me a day or two and I'll do that. I've gotta order rotors.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:45 AM

Thanks Blaine.
Let me know what you find out.

Pat
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Pat, MJR on here has 20 sets of WJ calipers, brackets and rotors for sale.
Good to know. I'm shooting him a message now. I need some to play around with on another project
Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 AM

Well I got my knuckles today. They are from an 04 WJ.

I have a deal going with a set of calipers with brackets and pads. They guy wants me to make him an offer. WHat would be a decent price for this. They are from an 01-04 Mustang, with less than 30k on them. I believe they are from a Cobra or GT.

I got prices for rotors. I think they might be a little off. The price I got was for an 02 Ford Sport-trac 4x4. These are the rotors that I need? What should I expect to pay for them?

Its all coming together now and I can't wait to drive it.

Thanks
Pat
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 07-01-2005, 09:36 AM

Another thing I though about this morning. What would be the better option-a TJ pitman arm or a WJ pitman arm? Is there any difference between the two?

Also, how well do the WJ TREs hold up? Are they close to the same strength as the Currie steering setup? Or should I look to completely building my own setup?

Thanks
Pat
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 07-01-2005, 10:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Yes on the Sport Trac, but I don't remember what I paid for mine.

I run a stock YJ arm on my YJ, and don't have any issue's with it for what it's worth.

As to the strength, the stock WJ TRE's are damned near 1 ton sized, and then it's up to what you run for the tubes on the drag link and tie rod. I have the JKS stuff. .250 wall, with an inner sleeve of .250 wall. Plenty of beef.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:32 PM

Blaine-any news on the correct spacers? I have the knuckles here, the calipers, brackets and pads are on the way. The .250 spacers for the knuckles are on the way also. I just need to call the machine shop when they have the rotors to make up the other spacer that goes between the hub assembly and the rotor.

The WJ TRE's, how well do they hold up? Compared to the Currie set up?

Something that I hadn't thought about until today is the fact that I have a Dodge MC in my TJ. How will this affect the PBR calipers? In a good way or bad? I would think that the calipers would be getting a greater volume of fluid, thus raising the line pressue causing better stopping power. Would I be correct? I don't have a gauge that I could measure the changes in pressure with, but I think that would be the logical outcome.

Thanks for the help
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's