Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2003, 12:03 PM

MIG welder for Christmas?

I'm looking at maybe asking Santa for a MIG welder for Christmas and want to keep the price at or below $500. I'm thinking Lincoln or Hobart and wondering if a 110V model will do most of the kind of welding I'd be likely to do. If the following link works, there is one 220V for $500 even but below that are all 110V models. Rigging up a 220V outlet in my garage wouldn't be difficult if the benefit is really there.

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...ubmit=+Search+

So does any particular welder on that page stick out as a great buy or one to avoid? Allen? Blaine?
Old 11-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Banned

I have a Ready Welder they work nice and you have it for the trail IMO it's the way to go. And they have a ton of power. All you need is 2 deep cell batteries, bottle, regulator, battery charger and you good to go no 220 needed.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:07 PM

Jerry - I'm not a welder but let me tell you what EVERY guy I know who welds for hobby or profession.

110 welders suck and are easily out of scope by even moderate projects.

I realize that is no help.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jerry,

I've yet to aquire one (so far, I've been fortunate to have friends both here and in CA to assist me), but ScottK first purchased a 110V mig and then borrowed a 220V mig. He finally had to return the 220V unit which prompted him to sell the 110V mig and purchase a Ready Welder. It did everything the 220V mig did and he ran it off of a couple of cheap deep cycles that he kept on a little roll around cart that also had the battery charger on it.

He said it was a little clumsy (big) for the tight spots in some areas on the TJ.....but then again, he also said it forced him to use it all the time and as such, the trail repairs were all that easier when he used it there (and he did on several occasions).

Just an idea, as was previously mentioned by Tracy. Given that I can't afford two welders (not even one welder right now), it still seems like a good idea to me.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:30 PM

I guess my 110 welder sucks then Jeff.

For me, my Hobart Handler 135 has served me fine. I'm NOT nearly as experianced as most folks here, but I do a little here & there. Nothing over ~3/16 steel on a single pass. I did add a mix bottle which the 135 comes equiped to plum right up easily. It already had the regulator & hose included in the 135 kit. It also comes with a reel of flux core wire.

One thing I do wish I had.....that's a cart for it! That little bugger is heavy to move around for this old fart.

I bought the 135 & most of the items at Harbor Freight in Chula Vista. I recently saw another one close to my new house in El Cajon. I picked up the mix bottle at a welding supply store in CV, on Main Street.

You are MORE than welcome to borrow it, my hood, gloves, wire etc anytime you wish.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:10 PM

Jerry, I bought a Hobart 175 about 2 years ago. I watched e-bay for several months and ended up getting a brand new one for $410 including shipping (welding shop had it sitting around for several months and wanted it gone). Then I put an X-mas card on it from Santa and put it under the tree

If you aren't in a rush for it I would suggest that.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:29 PM

You want the 175amp 230v machine.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:34 PM

Re: MIG welder for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I'm looking at maybe asking Santa for a MIG welder for Christmas and want to keep the price at or below $500
Pssst... Jerry...

Hate to tell you...

Sorry, NO welder for you!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:52 PM

Re: Re: MIG welder for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Pssst... Jerry...

Hate to tell you...

Sorry, NO welder for you!!!
Oh yeah??? Says who??? Well then just who is sitting in my Jeep in this picture???
Old 11-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Reggae

Re: Re: Re: MIG welder for Christmas?

Quote:
Oh yeah??? Says who??? Well then just who is sitting in my Jeep in this picture???
Looks like Don Palese.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: MIG welder for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Looks like Don Palese.
Yeah, he does clean up kinda nice, don't he?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:24 AM

I agree with Joe on this. I am quite happy with my 110 volt Lincoln SP125 welder. I have the gas set-up, cart, etc. It has welded everything I needed it to, up to 1/4" mild steel in a single pass (however 3/16" is most common). I do not have 220 volt service in my garage, or that would have been my first choice. I do have access to an antique 220 stick type cracker box. It is 45 miles away though.
Yes, wish I had 220 volts in the garage; wish I had gotten the larger welder but do not regret saving the considerable (my case- over double my investment) money difference.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:46 AM

A bigger machine (more powerful) can be more forgiving when the welder is inexperienced, out of practice, or downright lousey.

Hmmm.....it's also easier to screw your project up, say with burnthrough, if your new to welding.....

Also remember the rule of thumb.....1 amp per .001 of material for mild steel.....

Also remember with the smaller machines you're almost always running them at full power when welding.....you're really working the transformer and likely will exceed the duty cycle. Hope the over temp shut off works.....

I'm not saying the 110 machines are bad, but these are things to think about.

I can guarantee if you get the 175, unless you seriously get into welding and fab, you'll never regret the purchase.

I can not make you the same guarantee on the 110v machine.

A lot of people get the 110s due to budget, or lack of 220v, or both. Many will tell you they "settled", that it wasn't their first choice. Quite a few will also tell you that eventually they regretted going with the smaller machine.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:05 AM
Banned

One of the really cool things about the ready welder is that when used with 75/25 gas it has a 100% duty cycle. But the down side to that is you have a limited power souce Batteries you have to charge them. The only other real down side I see with the ready welder over the nice machies that I was using when I took my class is adjustablity witch is important. But for the average Jeeper Joe that needs a welder on the trail and garage the ready welder IMO is the way to go.

On the duty cycle thing a Miller 175 only has a 30% duty cycle if I remember correctly.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
One of the really cool things about the ready welder is that when used with 75/25 gas it has a 100% duty cycle. But the down side to that is you have a limited power souce Batteries you have to charge them. The only other real down side I see with the ready welder over the nice machies that I was using when I took my class is adjustablity witch is important. But for the average Jeeper Joe that needs a welder on the trail and garage the ready welder IMO is the way to go.

On the duty cycle thing a Miller 175 only has a 30% duty cycle if I remember correctly.
How does one control the voltage with the Ready Welder?

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:19 AM

Quote:
The 175 is rated at 30% at 120 amps.....

The 135 is rated at 20% at 90 amps.....

Big difference right there.....

The 135 at 120 amps, which is almost at full power is likely at 10% or less.....

120 amps in my opinion is great for 1/8.....so so for 3/16th. You'd have to work it.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
How does one control the voltage with the Ready Welder?

Allen

Read the statment above "The only other real down side I see with the ready welder over the nice machies that I was using when I took my class is adjustablity which is important. " That is the down side. You can run it at 12 18 24 36 depending on what battieries you have. The adjustabielty comes in with wire speed and current the two both being the same Edit" also travel speed Is that the proper way to do it? "no probally not but adjustments are made that way" and I'm sure you could share a lot on this subject and I would love to hear it So please tell me The way I look at is is find a thickness that will work well with the project and the voltage 18 or 24 adjust "current wire speed" and build it.

The other thing that I'm going to do in the future to get voltage control is get a 220 DC stick welder but that will limit my duty cycle. But then I will have both and it will not be as expensive if I went and bought a Stick and 220 mig and I have a trail welder too.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:38 AM

I think if I were to do it over again I would buy a 135 110v welder and a Ready Welder.
I have the 175 Lincoln now and half the time I wish I had smaller wire in it to do the small jobs that seem to "constantly come up". I also only have one 220v outlet in my garage. I need more outlets.
The Ready Welder is just awesome on the bigger stuff with two batterys. I don't know why but it also seems to have a very fast learning curve. Maybe because you can only change the wire speed? Someone told me it's because the clean current coming from batterys is better than rectified current? I was also told Ready Welders don't work as well plugged into a machine. I have so little experience with this stuff I can't say.
Anyhow, a 110v machine set up for light stuff and a Ready Welder set up for the bigger stuff would be a good combination plus the Ready Welder is so easy to take on the trail or to a remote location. Also the 110v welder can be taken anywhere with household power.
I would like to hear some opinions on experieced welders that have used the Ready Welder.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Not only does this need to be said delicately, but it needs to be taken very delicately and with a whole salt shaker.

I have owned the Lincoln SP 135 or 125, I don't remember which. It is a 110 welder, had the gas, cart, the whole nine yards. The big issue with the 110 welders are that finding a 30 amp dedicated circuit is almost as hard as finding a 220 volt circuit.

Without the high amp circuit, they suck at best.

This whole mess reminds me of teaching kids to shoot shotgun. In order to learn something, a modicum of success is required to keep someone interested. Kids unfortunately have low pain thresholds and tend to shy away from the 12 gauge due to it's weight and recoil. It's also the gauge with the highest probability for success for hitting a moving target due to the larger charges of shot it can throw.

What happens is you take a beginner kid, try to encourage his interest and then handicap him with a gun with small patterns and low pellet density comparatively.

The 110 welders are about the same. They are finicky and less forgiving. I can take the 185 and outside of cranking the dials to both extremes, can get it to weld and not too badly at that at most any combinations of settings. Wide tolerances for misadjustment.

The 110 is the opposite. You have to mess with it a lot just to get it to start welding decently.

I would not consider a 110 to be a beginners welder.

Please notice that nowhere did I say they won't work, aren't worth the money, or that no one should own one. I just won't own another one.

I would be interested in one of the lunchbox welders that runs on 220 though. I've seen one of them weld and was impressed.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:27 AM

Ah ha!
What you're saying may be why the Ready Welder seems easier to use. It has lots of power.
I never thought about the 30a 110v circuit. Actually a 220v circuit is fairly easy to run. Mine was real easy as I branched off the clothes dryer circuit and didn't even have to buy a breaker.

People do the same teaching a kid how to fish. Send them out with cheap junk fishing gear and expect them to have a good time.........
Old 11-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Banned

IMO the only reason I can think of that would make the Ready Welder easier to use is that it is pure DC. An AC arc will jump around a DC arc will stay constant. The DC that comes from a rectified circuit is not pure DC. But The more filtering you put into the rectified circut it will bring it close to pure DC. Once again your good welders are going to produce better DC again making it easier to weld.

Just my opinian.

Any thoughts on this any one?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:42 AM

Ron,

Are you having problems welding thin stuff with your Lincoln?

It can be done.....and it can be frustrating too.

I've welded steel lawn furniture with a tube wall thickness of about .040 with my 300 amp machine. Set reeeeeeeeeeeal low.

Your wire is likely to large in diameter and the settings a bit off.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 AM

Quote:
IMO the only reason I can think of that would make the Ready Welder easier to use is that it is pure DC. An AC arc will jump around a DC arc will stay constant. The DC that comes from a rectified circuit is not pure DC. But The more filtering you put into the rectified circut it will bring it close to pure DC. Once again your good welders are going to produce better DC again making it easier to weld.

Just my opinian.

Any thoughts on this any one?
I can weld just fine with AC.....

Yeah, DC is more stable, but I've yet to be welding and was like, "Damn this unstable arc.....I need the DC power! "

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
The 110 welders are about the same. They are finicky and less forgiving. I can take the 185 and outside of cranking the dials to both extremes, can get it to weld and not too badly at that at most any combinations of settings. Wide tolerances for misadjustment.

The 110 is the opposite. You have to mess with it a lot just to get it to start welding decently.

I would not consider a 110 to be a beginners welder.
This last bit of information together with a few other comments like Allen's convinced me to go for the 220v welder. As a beginner, I need all the forgiveness a welder can offer. Thanks everyone.

I'm actually hoping to convince a friend of mine to sell me his nearly new 220v welder & cart under very sad circumstances. He's the one that had the tragic accident in the dune buggy in January that killed his wife and unfortunately, he can no longer see well enough after the accident to weld. He only wants to make sure his son doesn't want it first.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON

I have the 175 Lincoln now and half the time I wish I had smaller wire in it to do the small jobs that seem to "constantly come up".
You're not the only lazy one Allen. I'm too lazy to change the wire so I make do and sometimes burn holes.

I need to fool with it more. Too be honest I put a big spool in there and have NEVER changed it. It's probably easy once you've done it a few times.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:52 AM

Uh, no comment on the laziness thing and making do with too big a diameter wire.....

And yeah, until you have a fair amount of practice on the thin stuff, it is kind of a crap shoot.

But smaller diameter wire will help.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:55 AM

Quote:
This last bit of information together with a few other comments like Allen's convinced me to go for the 220v welder. As a beginner, I need all the forgiveness a welder can offer. Thanks everyone.

I'm actually hoping to convince a friend of mine to sell me his nearly new 220v welder & cart under very sad circumstances. He's the one that had the tragic accident in the dune buggy in January that killed his wife and unfortunately, he can no longer see well enough after the accident to weld. He only wants to make sure his son doesn't want it first.
I never personally experienced the conditions Blaine explained, but I do know that they can and do exist.....

And are yet another reason it's good you went with a 220 machine.

What kind of welder is it?

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
I can weld just fine with AC.....

Yeah, DC is more stable, but I've yet to be welding and was like, "Damn this unstable arc.....I need the DC power! "

Allen

The only problem is that most of us can't weld as well as you. IMO the more stable the arc the easier it should be able to weld. I really don't know because all the machines I've used in my short time of welding have been high dollar machines except the ready welder nice stable arc. I could be out to lunch on this one. Just tring to clear my head
Old 11-06-2003, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I never personally experienced the conditions Blaine explained, but I do know that they can and do exist.....

Allen
You remind me of me trying to teach a beginner how to ski. I can't do it because I forgot how hard it was and never use beginner techniques any more.
Best to take lessons from someone that has more recent recollections.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The only problem is that most of us can't weld as well as you. IMO the more stable the arc the easier it should be able to weld. I really don't know because all the machines I've used in my short time of welding have been high dollar machines except the ready welder nice stable arc. I could be out to lunch on this one. Just tring to clear my head
Maybe I'm the one missing something.....

Maybe it does make a big difference to people.....

Yeah, you're out to lunch all right.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?