Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-06-2001, 01:51 PM
Reggae

Recommended minimum normal towing capacity for a jeep on a trailer.

I know this has been beaten to death all over the Internet, but I would like to hear from folks that tow jeeps on a trailer. What towing capacity would you recommend for a towing rig? What other options are there in addition to the Heavy Duty Pickup trucks and Motor Homes? Are there vans that are strong enough for the task?

I may have to replace the Sentra soon with a new vehicle (I have to add brake fluid to it every week, and I don’t know if it worth to get it fixed, or it is time to gat a substitute). I am not sure if I can get a replacement that would be good enough for jeep towing, and it will definitely will be some time until I actually get a trailer, find a place to store it and start towing my jeep, but I still want to know my options if not for now then for future reference. I think that I would definitely want a diesel, mainly due to better fuel economy and slightly cheaper fill-ups.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-06-2001, 06:13 PM

TO: I would recommend a 3/4 ton pickup, usually to get a diesel you will have to go that heavy.
A 1/2 ton will do the job, but is minimal. You would be towing about 5500 lbs. or more. As for diesel vs. gas; diesel will cost about $5500 more than a gas motor, but this cost is offset by many factors. Better mpg, heavier towing, longer warranty, lasts much longer, better resale later on, longer between oil changes, probably cheaper than gasoline to buy. Down side is smell of fuel, noise of engine (outside of truck), cost more, little more to change fuel and oil filters and more qts. of oil. All of these factors for and against diesels extra cost make it a wash in my opinion, when you consider it against a gas motor.
Old 07-06-2001, 10:38 PM

well tobject if you keep doing the hammers i could see why you would want a trailer
Old 07-09-2001, 08:35 AM
Reggae

You can get diesel in a van. Is it good idea to tow a trailered jeep behind a van, or the van is not strong enough?

Old 07-09-2001, 08:47 AM
Administrator

TO- the diesels in the Ford vans have a lower hp rating. There is not enough room under there to fit the intercooler. Only the truck chassis has enough room for the intercooler and this is only on the Super Duty models.

My preference would be the New GM diesel in a few months when they get a few bugs worked out.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:30 AM
Reggae

Chevrolet Express Cargo Vans are available with a 6.5L 195HP diesel engine vs. 6.6L 300HP diesel in a Silverado. Its rated towing capacity is 6600 lb. standard and 10000 maximum. Where Silverado 2500HD is rated 9900 Standard and 12000 maximum. Uhhh. Too bad, a van can be had for much cheaper than a truck.

Well, I think I have an extended cab 157.5: wheel base 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD in mind. Can you recommend something better or cheaper? What are those GM diesel bugs that they need to work out?

What is the cheapest new tow rig with a diesel that is good enough for a jeep on a trailer?

Old 07-09-2001, 10:11 AM
Administrator

The Duramax diesel is in it's first year of introduction right now. I am just waiting to see what shakes out. The engine is made by Isuzu, who happens to supply the rest of the world with trucks. The US is a fairly small segment of their market.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:35 AM
Reggae

Cool! Probably it is unlikely I will replace the Sentra with a truck, because a truck would run about twice as much money as a regular car would, but I will try to convince my mom that she wants a big truck. I borrowed my boss’ truck for one weekend, and there are definitely benefits to have a lot of hauling space available, in addition to towing goodies.

Old 07-10-2001, 04:10 AM
Banned

To,

I've towed with both a WJ (V8)and now a Superduty powerstroke, still have the WJ.

The WJ has been all over the country. This would be a nice choice if you do not want a truck.

Make sure that the vehicle comes with a towing package which will have a tranny cooler, pre wire for a brake box and all you need after this is to purchase a weight distribution hitch to equal the load from back to front (preventing sagging in the rear) and literally eliminate swaying.

If you are looking at a diesel the new Duramax looks sweet but since it is the first year of production I would wait. Just like when the Ford powerstroke came out it took them a few years to work out all the bugs. I've driven in one of the new Duramax trucks and it was impressively quiet as compare to my powerstroke. I'm sure Ford is planning a come back to this engine. I still like my powerstroke and it's never let me down.

The WJ with a class IV from factory has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs which is plenty for a Jeep and trailer. I'm sure you can pick up some good Laredo V8 deals going on.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 07-10-2001, 07:10 AM
Reggae

Hmm Jim, you got me thinking. It would be sure as hell much easier to convince my mom to drive a jeep than a trucky truck. I don’t want to buy a new Jeep ever again; therefore if I start looking for a used Grand, maybe a ZJ, I can save mucho cash (provided it doesn’t require a lot of fixing, but even new jeeps require a lot of fixing, so who cares).

What does anyone else think about towing a jeep on a trailer behind a grand? Would it be too scary on the twisted mountain roads?

On a side note, something is leaking from the Sentra more and more everyday. Looks like brake fluid. What are the most common places for the brake fluid to escape?

Old 07-11-2001, 02:13 PM
Banned

TO,

You should have no problems on twisted mountain terrain. Even more so if you purchase a weight distribution hitch which I stronly recommend.

Go to my web site, at the bottom of the build up there is a link for towing with a grand using the WDH. There you will see pics of the WDH, how it hooks up to your vehicle hitch, etc.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 03-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Reggae

Question

Does anyone know what is the towing capacity of Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans?

They come with five-speed automatic and 5-cylinder CDI (common rail direct injection) turbo-diesel engine, they advertise providing 154 hp and 243-lb. ft. of torque. Does that sound like too little for the towing application?

Prices seem to be reasonable...

http://www.daimlerchrysler-vans.com/

Edit:
I just found out that the factory hitch is rated 5,000 lbs. Newer mind, too puny...
Old 03-06-2003, 04:47 AM

Sergey,

I recently bought an F250 Super Duty as a daily driver and tow rig. It has the "old" 7.3 Power Stroke diesel in it. Ford now has launched their "new" 6.0 PSD in their truck line. My engine makes 350+ HP and 555 lb/ft of torque stock. Those are the kinds of numbers to put a smile on your face when towing. Lower power is fine; it just makes towing more of a chore. I subscribe to the theory of way to much is just about enough. My truck is working way below its capacity and should therefore last a good long time.

I learned some things about using a truck as DD that I'll pass on. The first is that 3/4 ton trucks are big. What I mean is that they don't fit in garages, they can't go through drive through windows, it's tough to park in tight lots due to the large turning radius, and they are thirsty. I?ve also noted that parking spots are small and truck doors are big leading to some weird gymnastics to get in and out sometimes.

Living with a diesel has added just a few chores to my life as well. I have to wait to start, wait to shut down (turbo cooling), plug in when cold, pour in fuel additives, put thought into extended idling (wet stacking) and press a button on the idle controller, shut down when going through drive through windows I can fit in so the person can hear, and oil changes are 4 GALLONS of oil! Diesel fuel has recently skyrocketed in my area to more than the price of premium. I pray this will end soon as the winter fuel gets worse mileage and costs more. Economy of a diesel is not an argument right now.

I am happy with my decision and would do it again. Just carefully consider all the options available before making an expensive decision. When test driving make sure you try to park the new vehicle in several locations and try to negotiate a crowded parking lot as well.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Reggae

Thank you for the real time experience points, Jim. Yes, size considerations are definitely a concern. Parking lots don't scary me, but drive through places and parallel parking in downtown do. I was even thinking about waiting until they get 4-wheel steering worked into the 3/4-ton segment, but it would certainly launch the price into the exotic car sector range. And the main reason I am looking into alternatives to trucks is because how expensive trucks are due to their popularity.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:56 AM

If you decide to check out trucks - pickup rather than tow - you can get something to meet most maneuverability requirements. I'm at one extreme (crew cab long bed) and the other extreme would be a regular cab short bed which height restrictions aside would let you manuever just about anywhere you're used to in a non truck (and save $ in the process vs a bigger truck).

On weight capacity be sure to do the calculations of what you anticipate for a typical load relative to the GVWR of the vehicle you are considering. A neighbor bought an F250 powerstroke crew cab, long bed, 4x4 (heavy before you even get started) and found that with a full tank of fuel, typical cargo, and his trailer attached he wasn't able to carry even a single passenger without exceeding the GVWR. He ended up trading it in on an F350 and losing $ in the process.

Edit: To clarify be sure to look at your GVWR and GCWR requirements separately, sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
was even thinking about waiting until they get 4-wheel steering worked into the 3/4-ton segment
If you order a 1500 GMC or Chevy truck with the quadrasteer option, you automatically get a D60 rear diff - that is the only diff the quadrasteer comes with. That won't help you on your gross vehicle weight issue and I am am not sure what the recommended towing capacity is with that option but if you don't want a full on honking huge truck and will only tow ocassionally and short distances, it might pay to do a bit more research on that option.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:08 PM

Towing recommendations should be available on-line from the major manufacturers. I'm not an expert, but I believe most half-ton rigs top out around 6000 trailer weight - give or take some (although the GCWR is frequently reached before the max trailer weight is met).

I also have a large rig, 4 door, longbed, dually, 4x4 that serves as my tow rig for horses. Consequently, I'm used to towing heavy loads...and those that shift around somewhat during the ride. It's a great, comfortable truck that I feel extremely safe in should I get involved in an accident. But...parking is a problem. And most every drive-thru is out of the question.

Infrequent towing, around 5-6K max. I'd feel comfortable with a 1/2 ton. Just take it easy and allow lots of stopping distance. 3/4 ton would be better. Go for a regular cab, short bed, and the parking issue pretty much goes away.

Darrell
Old 03-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

Here's another thought

Winnebago a few years ago make a model in the 22 foot range (they still make one in the 24 foot range). The coaches have the 454 motor, are obviously on a heavy duty chassis and have a very nice hp to weight ratio for a motorhome. Would make a nice tow rig and not a large motorhome to store. Obviously not a daily driver, but that way you can keep your Sentra. Would guess you could get one built in the 1980s for well under $10,000. Would be well under the cost of a new truck, provide you with nice accomodations (no tents flying across the desert) and tow the trailer very nicely. Once you get your truck, you're going to want to put on a shell or a camper.

Just another line of thinking. Of course, I happen to like motorhomes.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:01 PM

Motorhomes are nice and the bonus of having somewhere nice to sleep while wheeling is pretty good, but they also bring a whole slew of maintenance related issues above and beyond a simple pickup truck.

My family ended up getting rid of our RV (a long time ago) because it ended up being too much work for my parents.

Just keep the upkeep issues in mind if you are considering an older RV.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:02 AM

Art, I've heard that the only difference between the two trucks you mentioned is the 250 has 2'' blocks under the rear spring packs and the 350 4'', unless you're talking about the dually of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch

On weight capacity be sure to do the calculations of what you anticipate for a typical load relative to the GVWR of the vehicle you are considering. A neighbor bought an F250 powerstroke crew cab, long bed, 4x4 (heavy before you even get started) and found that with a full tank of fuel, typical cargo, and his trailer attached he wasn't able to carry even a single passenger without exceeding the GVWR. He ended up trading it in on an F350 and losing $ in the process.

Edit: To clarify be sure to look at your GVWR and GCWR requirements separately, sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anders Karlsson
Art, I've heard that the only difference between the two trucks you mentioned is the 250 has 2'' blocks under the rear spring packs and the 350 4'', unless you're talking about the dually of course.
Mechanically that's basically true, but the sticker on the door frame says differently. If you get caught overloaded the fines and penalties are more than the price difference between the two. I now wish I had bought a 350 for a little bit more, even though my 250 meets most of my needs.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:02 AM

Hey Anders - You are right as far as I know w/ respect to the equipment but I'd echo what Jim said with regard to fines and penalties. Alot of people do ignore the GVWR limit on both 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and have no problems at all but if you are caught it can be expensive. The other bad scenario is if you were in an accident and the investigating officer (or jury!) found overloading to be a contributing factor. These things make me conservative.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:35 AM
AA reject

I am thinking of getting a new/used work van later this year. Maybe a deisel. Would be nice to unload my tools, be able to tow my jeep and have a place to sleep inside. How much worse powerwise is the deisel in the van?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
I am thinking of getting a new/used work van later this year. Maybe a deisel. Would be nice to unload my tools, be able to tow my jeep and have a place to sleep inside. How much worse powerwise is the deisel in the van?
We run exclusively the E-450 Ford SD cut away chassis for our ambulance needs. That is the van front end version.

It has less power due to not being able to get the intercooler in there. I would wait and see if they put the 6 liter in one and can get it intercooled.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Reggae

Chris, take a look at this picture:

It is diesel, and available in the US. It is most likely not powerfull enough for a jeep tow rig...

They use those for ambulances in some countries.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Chris, take a look at this picture:

It is diesel, and available in the US. It is most likely not powerfull enough for a jeep tow rig...

They use those for ambulances in some countries.
Sergey - I don't know why but this picture makes me laugh. Maybe it is the cartoonish van thingy - or the guys in all that protective gear clear cutting a forest.

PS - Get a motorhome and be done with it. My motorhome which has a 460 Ford pulls my Jeep just fine - yes I can't hang with the diesel pickup guys on the grade, but they can't take a shower in their truck beds either You can score a good used motorhome for $10K now. We'll have SERGEY'S HOUSE OF LOVE airbrushed on the side and you'll be good to go.

Jeff
Old 03-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Banned

Sergy, here are two links I found in the Recycler. These links will change Saturday morning when they update their site (7AMisH0. But these are the size I would recommend on a Class A chassis:

http://www.recycler.com/asp/AdDetail...sBAC=818&bSQ=0

http://www.recycler.com/asp/AdDetail...sBAC=805&bSQ=0

The last one is a bit over priced in my opinion, but you get the idea if you want to pursue this type of solution.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:49 PM

24,000 miles on that first one? What'd they do, take one trip every 3 years?
Old 03-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
24,000 miles on that first one? What'd they do, take one trip every 3 years?
It is amazing to me how little some people use a motorhome. Some can be in really great condition, especially if they have been covered or garaged. Some can be terrible if they have not been watched after. This is especially true if there is a water leak that someone has missed. You really want to look at the inside of a coach for water damage. Look in the closets and around the vents.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
Alot of people do ignore the GVWR limit on both 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and have no problems at all but if you are caught it can be expensive.
In Canada they won't let you go any further from where you're stopped. You have to make arrangements to get your stuff moved. Could be very expensive.