Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Adding Light Chaos to ADE Security System

I will be putting this write-up up in sections as I get them written. Please bear with me there is a lot of data and information that I must document correctly if it is to be of any use to anyone else.

Adding Light Chaos to ADE Security System

Light Chaos is an add-on system to the ADE (Automatic Disable / Enable) Security Systems, which I developed and put out into the public domain.

Light Chaos will cause your Jeep TJ?s Lighting to act rather weirdly whenever anyone tries to start the Jeep, or successfully ?hot wires? the Jeep without first swiping the hidden ADE System reed switch with a magnet.

The idea behind the Light Chaos system is to call considerable attention to your Jeep that can?t be easily defeated should someone try to steal your Jeep.

(Please note, there is approximately a one (1) second delay before the lights will go into chaos mode. After this time, if you are trying to start your Jeep and have not yet swiped the magnet you too will also be calling considerable attention to your Jeep until you swipe the ADE System magnet.)

Light Chaos as designed has two ?Blink? sides, ?L1? and ?L2?. All lights hooked to the ?L1? side will blink on and off together. All lights hooked to the ?L2? side will blink on and off together, opposite of the ?L1? side.

Here is the blink pattern that I recommend be used for this design, based on the electrical load of the lights;

Blink "L1"
  • Passenger side Front Directional + Side Marker
  • Driver side Rear Directional
  • Both Back-up Lights
  • Driver side Low Beam Headlight (optional)

Blink "L2"
  • Driver side Front Directional + Side Marker
  • Passenger side Rear Directional
  • Passenger side HIGH Beam Headlight (optional)

If you recall, the ADE System is inserted in a critical circuit and prevents this circuit from activating unless or until the hidden reed switch is swiped. This in effect disables the Jeep and prevents it from being started.

For those of you who are not familiar with the ADE system, or would like a refresher here is a link to the online document.

http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&highlight=ADE

Light Chaos Design Requirements
  • Light Chaos will interface and be controlled by the ADE System.
  • All Lights will work as designed from the factory when the ignition is off.
  • All lights will work as designed from the factory when the Jeep is running, AFTER the ADE System has been Enabled. (Hidden reed switch swiped with a magnet.)
  • Headlights, both high and low beam, will be disabled unless and until the ADE System is Enabled with the magnet.
  • Jeep lights will go into Chaos Mode, blinking erratically and continuously whenever the ADE System is in the Disabled Mode and an attempt is made to start the Jeep.
  • Light Chaos System will be completely isolated (electrically and mechanically) from the Jeep?s stock lighting system once the ADE System has been Enabled.

Circuit Design

There are two flavors to the Light Chaos System, With and Without The Headlight Flash Function. I will present both circuits in this write-up.

Before you look at the wiring diagram, don?t get too excited. It really isn?t anywhere near as complicated as it looks.

All the black wires (including the dash black wires) are wires already on your Jeep. All the components shaded in gray are also already on your Jeep.

The Light Chaos components and wires you need to add are shown in color in the circuit drawing.

I will be going into a rather detailed explanation of how this circuit works. You may find it helpful to print both circuit diagrams on a color printer. This will make it easier to follow the text rather than having to page up and down all the time.

Major Components

Light Chaos WITHOUT Headlight Flash

Here is a description of the major components needed to ADD the Light Chaos System without the Headlight Flash Function to the ADE System.

Power Relay ? ?P1?: (Qty = 1) This is a standard automotive relay, ?Bosch Type available in just about any automotive store. This relay MUST be rated at 30 Amps for the Normally Closed (NC) contacts.

Typically these relays will be rated 30 Amps NC / 40 Amps NO.

Do not go cheap on this. It must be able to handle the amperage.

Expect to pay between $5 and $8 for this relay.

Relay Socket: (Qty = 1) This is a standard automotive type relay socket that is pre-wired. The Power Relay ?P1? will plug into this socket.

Be sure the relay socket wires are at least 14 gauge for those wires coming from pins 30, 87 and 87a. The wires coming from pins 85 and 86 should be either 18 or 20 gauge in size.

Most auto parts stores stock this socket for about $3 to $4.

Relay Coil Diode: (Qty = 1) You do not have to install this diode but I strongly recommend that you do. This diode will manage ?fly-back voltage? which occurs whenever the coil is de-energized.

The diode you should use is 1N400x (where x = 5,6,7,8, or 9). They are available at Radio Shack for about $1 each.

Fuse Holder: (Qty = 1) This should be a standard ATC automotive (blade) type fuse holder with 14 gauge wires on each end.

These are available in most auto stores or Radio Shack for about $3 or $4.

15 Amp Fuse Holder: (Qty = package) This fuse will protect the wiring for the Light Chaos system. 15 amps is the correct size for the Light Chaos System Without the Headlight Flash Function.

Purchase a package of fuses to match your fuse holder (ATC type) at the auto store or Radio Shack. A package of 5 is typically about $3.

Electronic Alternating Flasher: (Qty = 1) Please purchase the exact flasher I recommend as most others will not work for this application.
  • Tridon (Stant) EL13A-1
    or
  • Tridon (Stant) EL13A-2

These are Electronic Flashers, designed to provide a ?wig-wag? light flash system. They are NOT Mechanical Thermal Flashers, nor are they Direction/Hazard Flashers.

You can purchase either one of these from most auto parts stores, however the price will vary significantly

EL13A-1 will handle 165 Watts of load (lights) on each side of the two output terminals (L1 and L2). The list price for this unit is over $27 but you can buy it for about $19.

EL13A-2 will handle 150 Watts of load (lights) on each side of the two output terminals (L1 and L2). The list price for EL13A-2 is over $25 but you can buy it for about $18 in most auto stores.

There are a handful of on-line sources for these electronic alternating flashers where you can purchase them for a few dollars less, but when you add shipping the cost generally comes out to be more. It is probably best to find this flasher locally.

Rectifier Diodes: (Qty = 5) These diodes isolate the Light Chaos circuitry from your Jeep?s normal lighting system and are required.

The Diodes you want are ?P600A?, which are rated for 6 amps at 50 Volts. They are available from Radio Shack for about $1.50 each.

(Please note I am going over board on the size of these diodes. A 3-Amp diode should be fine in this application, but for the pennies difference in cost I am going with the 6-amp version. Why? Well let?s say there is magic smoke inside these things, and if defective or sized too small that magic smoke will come spewing out!) Buy the 6-amp diodes.

Wire 18 Gauge: (Qty = 1 Spool, 25 feet) This is standard 18 AWG hookup wire available at Radio Shack or just about any auto parts store. Figure about $5 for a spool.

3M ?T? Wire Taps: (Qty = 10) These are used to tap into your Jeep?s lighting system wires. You will also need ten (10) MALE, fully insulated Spade connectors. These come in packages of 10 for about $3 at the auto store or Radio Shack.

Make sure the 3M ?T? wire taps you buy are for 18-gauge wire, as they come in different sizes.

Crimp On Connectors: You will need a variety of fully insulated crimp on connectors to include Butt Connectors, and Male and Female Spade and some grounding loops. How many of each will depend on your wiring style. If you are like me you will solder most of these wires, but crimp-on connectors work just as well if you don?t over crimp them. (Be nice, not too little and not too much force, crimp them just right!)

I will be adding a picture of these components shortly

Light Chaos WITH Headlight Flash Function

Here is a list of parts you will need in addition to those listed above, if you are going to add the Headlight Flash Function to the ADE System.

Relay Socket: (Qty = 2) This is a standard automotive type relay socket that is pre-wired. The Headlight relays will plug into these sockets.

Be sure the relay socket wires are at least 14 gauge for those wires coming from pins 30, 87 and 87a. The wires coming from pins 85 and 86 should be either 18 or 20 gauge in size.

Most auto parts stores stock this socket for about $3 to $4.

Relay Coil Diode: (Qty = 2) You do not have to install this diode but I strongly recommend that you do. This diode will manage ?fly-back voltage? which occurs whenever the coil is de-energized.

The diode you should use is 1N400x (where x = 5,6,7,8, or 9). They are available at Radio Shack for about $1.

25 Amp Fuse: (Qty = package) This fuse will protect the wiring for the Light Chaos system.

15 amps is the correct size Without the Headlight Flash Function.

25 Amps is the correct value if you are adding the Headlight Flash Function.

Purchase a package of fuses to match your fuse holder (ATC type) at the auto store or Radio Shack. A package of 5 is typically about $3.

Wire 16 Gauge (Qty = 1 Spool, 25 feet) This is standard 16 AWG hookup wire available at Radio Shack or just about any auto parts store. Figure about $5 for a spool.

Crimp On Connectors: You will need a variety of fully insulated crimp on connectors to include Butt Connectors, and Male and Female Spade and some grounding loops.

I will be adding a picture of these components shortly