Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 AM

auto rear tranny seal ?

Pulled off the 231 and had a considerable amount of fluid come dripping out, its still dripping some. Is the seal at the back of the 32RH just a popout and replacement deal?.

Searching I found this:
There is a small weep hole on the back of the tranny that allows oil to drip out when the seal goes out. You will have to remove the t-case and see whats up. The staft from the t-case to the tranny has a seal to go on it. The seal is installed on the end of the tranny. The part number of the seal (mopar) is 4269 956. You should be able to cross match the number. Cost is bout $8.00 from a parts store. Mopar is double that i expect.

Part #4269 956

Also putting in a TERA 4:1, the input shaft for the transfer case is 3/4" of an inch shorter than the stock. the new seal/sleave that came with the TERA kit, does this replace the seal on the back of the auto tranny, or do I need the above part with this "adapter that came with the TERA kit

Thanks alot, Tom
Old 04-09-2006, 08:01 AM

Re: auto rear tranny seal ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Lunn
Pulled off the 231 and had a considerable amount of fluid come dripping out, its still dripping some. Is the seal at the back of the 32RH just a popout and replacement deal?.

Searching I found this:
There is a small weep hole on the back of the tranny that allows oil to drip out when the seal goes out. You will have to remove the t-case and see whats up. The staft from the t-case to the tranny has a seal to go on it. The seal is installed on the end of the tranny. The part number of the seal (mopar) is 4269 956. You should be able to cross match the number. Cost is bout $8.00 from a parts store. Mopar is double that i expect.

Part #4269 956

Also putting in a TERA 4:1, the input shaft for the transfer case is 3/4" of an inch shorter than the stock. the new seal/sleave that came with the TERA kit, does this replace the seal on the back of the auto tranny, or do I need the above part with this "adapter that came with the TERA kit

Thanks alot, Tom
Yes, the seal at the rear output shaft on the tranny is a normal "pop and and replace" type seal.

I'm not sure what you're asking regarding the 4:1..
Do you have a 4:1 ??

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 AM

Fred, I guess I expalined it better on JU, Thanks...Tom