Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Black Label

Black Label Have you been treated good or bad? Share your story. This is the place to praise or shame

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Thumbs down Stak

My friend bought a STAK 3 speed transfer case from STAK. First they were weeks late in shipping. Then on his first drive the front output shaft leaked and it kept popping out of the middle gear. After a call to STAK he was told to put silicone around the front output as their tolerances were not that accurate. As to the popping out of gear they told him only one person could deal with that and he would call John back. After 2 days John started calling them. Now for the last 2 weeks all he gets is their answering machine. Would I recommend STAK??? NOT!!!!!! I'm happy with my Atlas!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM

I think it might be on the General 4x4 Discussion area of Pirate, but I've heard similar, if not the same difficulties of it popping out of gear in that thread over & over and over again. Getting it remedied was also cumbersome & timely.

I also enjoy having an Atlas (5.0). About the only thing I wished I could do with it is to run in front wheel drive 2hi & not have to disconnect the rear shaft.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 PM

I agree...I really don't know why they lock out a front only drive feature other than perceived liability. I had heard there was discussion about Stak on Pirates but I havn't been able to find it. I'd appreciate it if you could post up a link to it.
Bob
Old 05-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRockrawler View Post
I agree...I really don't know why they lock out a front only drive feature other than perceived liability. I had heard there was discussion about Stak on Pirates but I havn't been able to find it. I'd appreciate it if you could post up a link to it.
Bob
Here ya' go:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=stak+issue
Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

WOW! Very interesting. That new investor Greg is the guy my buddy has been leaving messages for for the last 2 weeks. I sure hope they will turn their act around.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
About the only thing I wished I could do with it is to run in front wheel drive 2hi & not have to disconnect the rear shaft.
For what reason?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 PM

I'd like to try to see how it drives in front wheel drive now while going faster than ~15mph.

Years ago I drove it back home from waterfall #4 in Surprise Canyon in fwd hi because I broke the yoke of my rear pinion off, so I removed the shaft & plugged the tcase. It drove fine then with the rear shaft removed. This may sound silly, but I'd like to be able to do it again if I wanted without the rear shaft being removed.

Basically, just drive short distances in front wheel drive hi.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
4hi with the drive shaft rear shat removed is 2hi front. I just did this last month when i blew the rear pinon. Drive out with help on the up hills.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Just saw this thread. I bought one of STaK's 3-speed Monster Boxes from their first production run in 2005 and it was in my TJ up until Blaine swapped it out for a Rubicon NV-241 last September. Largely a total POS transfer case IMO. And whether it was the original STaK company with Sean, Tony, and Kenn, or the "new" company under Greg, they have never had their act together as far as I can tell. STaK truly deserves to be in the Black Label section. (By the way, I am "DEC" in that Pirate thread that won't die).