Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-21-2002, 10:26 AM

Ham questions (not about pork fat)

How can I easily get a license to use a 2 meter ham radio?

I can do code ( poorly ) but I heard code wasn't required any longer.

anyway, I traded some stuff I had sitting around for a mobile 2 meter radio.

I know I can use it in a emergency even w/o a license but I'd rather just do what I need to do to be ligit.

tnx,

- Dan
Old 06-21-2002, 10:36 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Stop by your local Radio Shack, they always have a book or two on the shelves with all the forms, suggestions, lists of questions and information.

I think I have a book like that collecting dust somewhere. Let me know if you are interested and I'll look for it.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Dan,

You are correct in that you do not need morse code skill for one of the 3 licenses (there was recently a 5 level structure but it was reduced to 3).

Sergey's advice is avalid, but if Radio Shack does not have the book(s) you need, I would stop by http://www.arrl.org

They are a national ham radio group and have all the info you need to get you neaded in the right direction. Plus, they will be up to date on the manual, rules, etc.

I've been a licensed ham since about 1970. The part about using a ham radio without a license....well, perhaps if you were having a heart attack and there was no other means by which to summons help, that would work. Much anything else, other than a life and death situation, would not fly and can get you heavily fined.

I congratulate you on wanting to legally obtain your license. I have several ham radios in my TJ and use them regularly both on and off the trails. I find that the two hobbies complement each other very well.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:29 AM

Sergey, Stu,

Thanks!

When I get the radio I'll post some details.

- Dan