Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Black Label
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Black Label Have you been treated good or bad? Share your story. This is the place to praise or shame

Old 05-22-2002, 02:51 PM

OR-fab problems?

I ordered a OR-Fab tire carrier w/o the jerry can holder from Bob Supplee (a great person to deal with). About 2 months later and many calls to Bob and even to OR, I finally received my tire carrier with the jerry can holders. More phone calls to explain the problem, I get "your at the top of the list" yada, yada, yada,. So I realize both carriers use all the same brackets and install it. Another call to OR and asked them if I could use the one I had until the right one came in, they said "yes" which I very much appreciated, thats been about a month ago and still have not received the right one..
Anyone know if this is typical of OR, I hope not because it is a very well built and functional unit and I would like to do business with them in the future. Heck I may even keep the one I have IF I ever get to make a real wheeling trip it would come in handy ...
Thanks for any feedback...........Chuck
Old 10-25-2002, 05:01 PM

well, since I saw this, I will add my OR fab story as well.

I did the TJ front roll cage. Got the OR fab kit from the local 4x4 shop with 2 stringers.

Went to install the sucker, and not one bolt hole lined up. All the pipes were oval shaped from warping during welding, the different pieces would not slip together without hours of grinding, shaping, and massaging with a 3# ball-peen hammer.

The thing looked like someone forgot to use the jig on that one while they were making them up.

The black powdercoat sure is pretty, though.

Now that it is in and I don't have to remove it for anything, I like it just fine.

Best regards

John
Old 10-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

O-R Fab is a local shop. The two guys that started it have since split up. One moved on to another enterprise and the other still runs the shop. They do seem to have a hard time meeting their shipping/production schedules from what I see/hear both locally and on the forums. As for the quality, John's comment is the first that I was aware of....but.....when you are behind schedule, etc., it is easy for quality to slip and it sounds like that is what happened to him.

They use to be a pretty good shop, for the most part. I had some fab work done by them and for the most part, I was happy with it. Since those days, they have become more into making tire carriers and such and MUCH less of the custom fab work that they founded their business on. I have since directed my business and my friends to another young guy who can fab circles around O-R Fab, hands down, no contest. His labor rate is also better.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Stu, I am fairly sure that Sergey's CB rack is also an ORFab product and we encountered the same problem with the tubes being egg shaped and very difficult to assemble.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:13 PM

I have an OR-fab cage and the only "problem" wasthe OD of the tube was larger than the ID of the tube it fit into ever so slightly. I attribute it to the thickness of the powder coat.

some wet dry sand paper and a few minutes cured the snug fit.

my other complaint is the PC is too shiney and caused glare with no top, but my scotch brite blue pad took care of that.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:25 PM
Reggae