Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-08-2002, 09:16 PM

Fuel cell?

I'm considering getting rid of my factory tank and placing a ~10 gallon fuel cell in the bed of my TJ. The problem is I have no experience with fuel cells. How do I know what kind of fuel pump to buy? I'm assuming it has to match the factory pressure and specs. Are there any special qualities or features I should look for in a fuel cell? Is a cell even the right way to go with this idea?
Old 11-09-2002, 05:48 AM

I have one in mine right now. There are some pluses and minuses to placing it in the bed. First off, you lose a lot of cargo space, secondly, it may be illegal in your state since it is physically inside the Jeep. I went with a plastic cell but learned quickly that the AZ Sun like to eat those things up. The locking cap would deteriorate and the cell would become concave. My fuel guage never worked properly with it either (electric sensor).

I'm taking it out and fabbing a flat tank (about 4" high) to ride under the bed now. If I were to use a Cell again I would definately spend the extra money for an aluminum one. They come in so many shapes and sizes and you can have one custom made. No need to worry about the sun damaging aluminum.

As far as the pump is concerned, I got lucky and a friend of mine had a frame rail mounted pump laying around that just happened to work perfect. I don't have the specs on it though.

Jeeper
Old 11-09-2002, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the tip on the aluminum. In a perfect world the new cell would be as flat and wide as poissible to still fit in the bed. I have seen many cells that are quite boxy so I may have to have something made. If I do I'll make sure it's aluminum. As for the legality, the tags are being pulled this spring and it will be off road only.

The reasoning behind pulling the tank is to improve the weight balance and to give room for stretching the wheelbase. Wtih the stock tank and Kilby skid, the rear axle sits too far forwad for my comfort. Also, the balance sits at 50/50 when empty and carrying no spare. When loaded for the trail the balance is heavily rear biased.

Anyone else?
Old 11-09-2002, 12:51 PM

Here's what the boxy 15gal plastic (POS) version looks like in the back of my Jeep. (sorry for the webshots and bad quality pic but it should give you a general idea)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...4081VLKbDGhVZc

This pic will give you a pretty good indication of how much room using a cell frees up the rear end.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...0302BjuUdnzQdf

Jeeper
Old 11-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Jim- Ranch Pratt from RRCA has a very custom triangular shaped fuel tank installed in his TJ that sits right in the middle and more upright than anything else. It is right behind the center console.

Should help with the bias and not affect COG too drastically. It is aluminum and very sturdy looking. Probably less likely to be damaged by any mishap of most any sort due to it's location.

For a street rig it is fairly goofy looking though. Were it me, I would build a custom tank that utilized the stock pump and make it a saddle tank that hangs on the back wall right behind the seats. Just hang a bulkhead between the rollbar uprights and incorporate the tank hanger and shoulder harnesses onto it.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:16 PM

OK, so it seems that custom is the way to go here. I'd make one myself but I can barely stick steel together let alone aluminum. I was hoping for something a little less involved, but I guess to play I have to pay.