Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-25-2004, 08:06 PM

Example of why you never get your auto tranny flushed

Here are some photos of what often happens if you take your Jeep (or any vehicle) to one of the lube places and get the auto tranny "flushed" with a machine.
They guy that brought this vehicle into the shop yesterday (he's a friend of one of the techs), had the tranny "flushed" and a lube and tune place last Saturday. Vehicle was running fine before the "flush". After was slipping and not shifting correctly.
We dropped the tranny and disassembled it.
Here's the filter element, removed from the plastic filter case and opened length wise. It's packed to the point of being clogged with metal debris and burnt clutch material:

Band destroyed:

Drum destroyed:

Pan loaded with metal and burnt clutch material. Tranny fluid badly burnt:

Clutches and metal. Note glob of metal on one of the clutches:

Valve body loaded with metal and burnt clutch material:

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 02-26-2004, 05:39 AM

How did the flush cause this? Was it one of those new fangled "reverse power flush" thingies that is to blame, or a simple can off the shelf type of flush?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 AM

Yes.....

More info please.....

I thought the "power flushes" were the way to go so that you got all new fluid.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:36 AM

Power flushing is fine as long as the tech knows what he is doing and also drops the pan and replaces the filter Most of these lube places tell you that power flushing will clean the filter - obviously not by the looks of things in Freds' pix.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 PM

Ok, here's what I can tell y'all for sure
There are sort of two "types" of machines out there.
There are the "fluid exchange" type machines, that you hook up and turn on the engine. letting the tranny pump the fluid out itself, and the other line simply adds fluid at the same time (note, no pressure).. There is no reason that I can possible see for spending $3500.00 ~ $4500.00 for one of those machines (for a shop), when I would argue that it's easier to do it as it's been done (fluid exchange) for many years. That is simply unhooking the return line and put it in the catcher, start the engine, and put the tranny fluid filler gun in the fill tube and fill it, until the fluid coming out of the disconnected line is nice and red. Turn engine off. Reconnect that one line. Start engine. Check fluid level and add as required (also, before this is down, the pan should always be dropped and the filter changed).
The other type of machines are the "pressure flushers" that force the tranny fluid out (and through the whole tranny in the process) using some pressure. These are the real killers
You can see what they do. The photo of the filter, well that's just the filter element, that was removed from the filter holder (plastic in this case), and then split down three sides and opened up like a book. So, in the photo, you're looking at the inside on the filter element itself. We did that as the outside of the filter didn't look too bad, compared to the rest of the tranny and the pan, etc., but it looked too "fat"... You can see why

In my, and others opinion, "power flushers" simply have to place in the same world as trannys..

There is no such thing, as far as I know, as a "power reverse tranny flusher". That wouldn't work at all. Trying to force fluid through all the parts of an auto tranny, backwards, will screw it up in a heartbeat.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i