Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 PM
The king of shotgun debate

In My Opinion - On Board Air is the Greatest Thing since "Pork Fish"!

In My Opinion - On Board Air is the Greatest Thing since "Pork Fish"!

To me it is anyway.

Three years, absolutely no problems of any kind. Sort of a "set and forget system" except for checking the oil in the compressor twice a year.

I've ready the other "180 degree around post", but I didn't find anything supporting the statement "On Board Air Sucks"

Did it break? (Not work when you needed it to?)

If so, where? How Often?

What's the weak point, based on fact and experience, to support the claim?.

I understand there are different preferences, opinions and solutions. Yet I just don't get that OBA Sucks without some evidence that it doesn't perform well.

Mine is used probably as heavily as any installed anywhere, given the lockers, the constantly adjusting air suspention and airing up the columns of Jeeps at the end of a days run or the three Jeep Jamboree runs held around here each year.

Is anyone having any actual (real) problems with their OBA System that I'm not having? (Preferences aside.)

I agree CO2 works great too. I just don't get how OBA System sucks???? Not even in opinion if there have been no problems????
(That's like saying YJ's Suck! You can say it but them people are waiting for some reasoning for the radical position.)

Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Reggae

OBA sucks air in. CO2 bottle, does not suck the air while in use, it's "powered" by what's inside the bottle.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Re: In My Opinion - On Board Air is the Greatest Thing since "Pork Fish"!

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
You can say it but them people are waiting for some reasoning for the radical position.)

Frank
Oh Frank, logic and reason just sucks all the wind right out of a radical notion!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
OBA sucks air in. CO2 bottle, does not suck the air while in use, it's "powered" by what's inside the bottle.
Hi Sergey,

I get it, but it is a Back Office, Central Office and Front Office "kinda thing", Isn't it?

I mean in the back office you are right, OBA does indeed "suck" air in. (limitlessly or untill the Central Office doesn't do their Job right!)

In the Central Office (the place where many bad things can happen that someone might be able to say "OBA sucks" cause of problems they have had or poor performance, ect. ect. ect...) is where the "sucked air is processed."

And then there is the Front Office where sucked air, having been processed, now blows! (limitlessly, or untill the Central Office doesn't do their Job right!)

Or did I get that wrong?

So, I think we all agree, in the Back Office OBA sucks.

And I think we all agree, it Blows in the Front Office. (Isn't that what a person would want?)

It's the Central Office where I am confused; where the real work is performed; where the likelihood of failure is to occur.

What is failing that causes it to Suck here too! Has the Central Office gone on strike? Failed to follow the mission?, lost focus as to what the mission is?

Inquiring Minds want to know!

LOL

Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Reggae

The part that sucks blows it for the rest of the system.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
The part that sucks blows it for the rest of the system.

My Point Exactly!

It Works as Designed!

Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 03:12 PM

the only "problems" I've had with mine were self inflicted.

first time was pre-york. I had a caddy electric supplying my air tank, and I routed an inlet line a few inches from the rear driveshaft. I tore a control arm mount off my rear axle had the axle rotate up to the point it snapped the u-joint, and when the driveshaft slapped around unattached at the rear yoke it tore the air line. Made a nice "whoosh" to go along with the reset of the thumping and clanging.

During my York install, I got sloppy and forgot a hose clamp on one of my main outlet lines from the york. I had several folks telling me how crappy barbed fittings were, but when I reviewed my install pictures, I could clearly see I just plain forgot to clamp the line.

Both of these I fixed it on the trail with what I had on hand.

Both times I improved on it when it returned to the garage.

How is this different than many of the other systems we cobble together? If you are in a hurry, and don't think about the unexpected, something unexpected might surprise you.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

In the past year, I've helped out York based OBA owners three times on the trail (that I can remember).

#1. bearing seized on York...no pumpy, pumpy...lots of squeal though
#2. new install....on the start of the 5th tire, the oil filter on the output melted down...lots of pumpy, pumpy, just not to the correct place
#3. I forget the details....he came on the run with his York broke and I aired him up.

Yes....in one case it was a bad install (didn't mount the filter far enough away from the heat generating compressor)...but then again, I've not had that problem with either of my air supply systems (QA2 and CO2).

IMO, a York OBA requires maintenance just like the rest of the Jeep. Bearings where out on most anything that rotates, hoses let go, etc. In some cases, you pull a 30 yeard old compressor from the junk yard and you take your chances.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Frank, OBA of the York variety does indeed suck, it sucks as much as manual trannies, hydraulic winches, limb risers, tall skinny mud tires and any other of a plethora of mods that I will not install on my rig.

There must be a reason I won't install it, that would be because they have less than the correct attributes for my needs, or put simply, they suck. Usually that term is used to describe something that is less than desireable and in this case was used correctly.

Now if Robert had said that OBA is a poor performer, costs too much or any other of a myriad of reasons why he wouldn't want it, I could see your point, but since his version of "it sucks" meant that it was an undesireable mod, I see and understand his point.

We didn't or I didn't say your OBA sucked, just his or any that I might have in proximity to me that looks like it may want to reside in or on my rig.

You may shotgun this thing to death, expound profoundly until the cows come home to roost and nary a hair of my opinion will you part the other direction. OBA sucks and if it didn't, I'd have it on my rig. You on the other hand are welcome to install as many Yorks as you can fit, finagle or carry.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:08 PM

This is almost too funny.

Each system is a compromise to ones personal tastes and needs. I'd love to have a CO2 as a back up to my York, to fill the holes that my York system lacks (portability). I'd not want to go on some of the week long treks that we do anually without an engine driven OBA system available however.

Just last Hammers trip a buddy had two flats. We plugged one, but he required a constant air up, York met that need well. CO2 probably would have done it, but maybe not (run out).

91yj, SOA
Old 05-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Frank, OBA of the York variety does indeed suck, it sucks as much as manual trannies, hydraulic winches, limb risers, tall skinny mud tires and any other of a plethora of mods that I will not install on my rig.

There must be a reason I won't install it, that would be because they have less than the correct attributes for my needs, or put simply, they suck. Usually that term is used to describe something that is less than desireable and in this case was used correctly.

Now if Robert had said that OBA is a poor performer, costs too much or any other of a myriad of reasons why he wouldn't want it, I could see your point, but since his version of "it sucks" meant that it was an undesireable mod, I see and understand his point.

We didn't or I didn't say your OBA sucked, just his or any that I might have in proximity to me that looks like it may want to reside in or on my rig.

You may shotgun this thing to death, expound profoundly until the cows come home to roost and nary a hair of my opinion will you part the other direction. OBA sucks and if it didn't, I'd have it on my rig. You on the other hand are welcome to install as many Yorks as you can fit, finagle or carry.

Hi Blaine,

I certainly understand different people having different needs and likes and dislikes. And I certainly have no desire to change your mind on anything you have installed on your Jeep.

That said,

My definition of "Something Sucks" usually comes with a reasonable reason for such a bold statement.

I believe Robert said his was "while the install held up fine, I did notice some areas that would eventually fail and frankly I no longer see any reason to complicate and compromise my vehicle systems with that stuff."

I have no doubt Robert de-installed it for the reasons he said, but I don't think, (IMO) anything in the above statement supports "On Board Air Sucks".

Now Stu has some good examples of some of the things I would think could support the argument.
(I suppose anyone who ever aired up a Jeep having no CO2 in the tank could also justify why CO2 Sucks!)

But no one is arguing that point. CO2 works well.

There is no issue of which is better, just why it sucks.

Robert choose to simplify his installation, and I know it will indeed work out for him.

But simplification, no matter how you cut it, doesn't transforms into "OBA it Sucks"

Life is just that simple sometimes.

Have a great night.

Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
Hi Blaine,

I certainly understand different people having different needs and likes and dislikes. And I certainly have no desire to change your mind on anything you have installed on your Jeep.

That said,

My definition of "Something Sucks" usually comes with a reasonable reason for such a bold statement.

I believe Robert said his was "while the install held up fine, I did notice some areas that would eventually fail and frankly I no longer see any reason to complicate and compromise my vehicle systems with that stuff."

I have no doubt Robert de-installed it for the reasons he said, but I don't think, (IMO) anything in the above statement supports "On Board Air Sucks".

Now Stu has some good examples of some of the things I would think could support the argument.
(I suppose anyone who ever aired up a Jeep having no CO2 in the tank could also justify why CO2 Sucks!)

But no one is arguing that point. CO2 works well.

There is no issue of which is better, just why it sucks.

Robert choose to simplify his installation, and I know it will indeed work out for him.

But simplification, no matter how you cut it, doesn't transforms into "OBA it Sucks"

Life is just that simple sometimes.

Have a great night.

Frank
There again Frank, your definition, for your needs, on your rig.

Does there really have to be a why it sucks? Does he have to justify why he thinks it sucks. Isn't just thinking it sucks good enough to remove it?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
There again Frank, your definition, for your needs, on your rig.

Does there really have to be a why it sucks? Does he have to justify why he thinks it sucks. Isn't just thinking it sucks good enough to remove it?

I think you are right Blaine,

I'm probably reading more into it then what is there.

Different interpretations of "It Sucks".

Mine has a reasonable expectation of "why it sucks". But to each their own.

Have a great night my freind,

Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 07:54 PM

Question Pork fish?

What is Pork Fish? I don't think I've eaten such a creature
Old 05-11-2004, 10:45 PM

hi frank,
I think blaine did a right fine job of explaining my logic and basically if you re-read my post closely, you will find that my dissatisfaction was mainly due to the complexity of the system, its potential for impacting my rigs' stock systems.

..... and the quality of the install not withstanding, i assessed the potential for inopportune failure which would then cost me my rear locker and that was not something I wanted to deal with.

additionally, I spent a fair bit of time this past fall doing a right fine job of tatooing the tank. again, no thanx.

also, having more thing to maintain is simply not time effective for me at this point due to recent life changes.

yes I am going to arbs' with the harness and compressor which seems contrary to my simplification stance but their durability has been more than adequately proven and spares are easy to find, carry and replace.

as a side note, I will not be going with the dodge alternator you suggested for some of those same reasons - the idea of splicing my stock harness to accomodate it is a price I am not interested in.

I hope this gives you a bit more insight to my reasoning - it was not simply trolling.

regards to you and your wife.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
... it sucks as much as manual trannies...
as much as i do understand your reasoning here... it still kinda hurts to see it in print.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
as much as i do understand your reasoning here... it still kinda hurts to see it in print.
I am going to have to build a sig that states that my statements unless they are directed specifically at you, are only my personal likes and dislikes. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the other hand as a comparison, if I had stated that your manual tranny sucks, then you would have a point.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:26 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
I am going to have to build a sig that states that my statements unless they are directed specifically at you, are only my personal likes and dislikes. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the other hand as a comparison, if I had stated that your manual tranny sucks, then you would have a point.
well, o.k., fine... but when you do make that statement, make sure to let me know so I can respond.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:47 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i like on board air
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
i like on board air
As do I. Mine just comes in a little aluminum cylinder.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I really don't care which one sucks the most.

I have a QA2 and a CO2 tank. I've yet to run out of both of them....EVER!

Edit: The ARB compressor is the on-board spare air
Old 05-13-2004, 04:42 AM

I use a slightly different set-up. The Thomas 12 volt compressor, with a carrying handle. This will eventually reside on my right side motor mount in a very quick disconnect cradle. This is an oiless compressor that works well. Not cheap. I don't carry air tools, but with the 1 gallon air tank-the compressor will bust 10 lug nuts loose with a 1/2" impact. It also airs up tires, and blows dirt and dust off me and the seats.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:42 AM

This is too funny, sounds like a school yard here.
'yours sucks,,,, no, yours sucks,,,,no, yours sucks..............bla,bla,bla......"

If I had a dollar for every time 'the bottle let me down', I'd have at least 10 bucks.
I've burned through at least 4 bottles(that I can remember)at different times, of co2, TRYING to remount tires.
Nothing like a QA2 and a can of starter fluid to get the job done ......

Stus the only one with any validity here.
But just like any thing mechanical, improper maintenance and it WILL fail....

I've had both, and still have a 20lber in the basement of the RV, but in the jeep space is
a VERY precious commodity. So the OBA under the hood is the way too go..

The argument of co2 portability is BS!!
If your on the trails of JV, you better have some type of air, or you shouldn't be there.(Period)
Unlimited supply out weights portability, when out in the middle of nowhere.
And for the argument of 'If your motors not runnig, you woulnt have air' I call BS....
If your motors not running you got way BIGGER problems that a flate tire ..

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 05-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce David

The argument of co2 portability is BS!!

Could be BS with the exception of the times I've carried my bottle down the trail to inflate the tires of OBA equipped rigs that malfunctioned for various reasons.

The irony of one of them was the time when the bottle I carried down the trail was purchased from the guy whose OBA decided to act up.

There was also the time when the rigs electrical system acted up at the same time as a flat occured and my bottle was carried and used by a couple of us on the tire while the others diagnosed and repaired the rig to get him going again.

The point- neither is perfect and both have their place.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:02 AM

You sure seem to wheel with a bunch of broke, poorly maintained rigs!

91yj, SOA
Old 05-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The point- neither is perfect and both have their place.
That's spot on.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:

Stus the only one with any validity here.
Hot damn! That sure doesn't happen very often!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:57 PM

Quote:

If your motors not running you got way BIGGER problems that a flate tire ..
The only counter arguement I can have here:

When I rolled, my engine became flooded with oil. To get back to camp, a tow was required.

But, that would have been a bitch ass tow with the flat I had.

CO2 filled that puppy up nice.

There are a million point counter points to everything, this is just one.

I've been on the trail when the regulater locked up on a friends jeep. Incovient, to be sure. I've been on the trail when one guys compressor suddenly sounded wierd, and he discovered oil in his tire. That was funny.

The biggest down side to CO2, space aside, is making sure it's secured well. And in a spot that it won't take a hit. When I rolled, my CO2 tank didn't move. I over did the mount, because I had that fear. I didn't take into acount that the tailgate would flex in a hit and bend into the bottle. A broken CO2 tank would cuase a host of problems that I shudder to think about.

Long and short, be prepared, do things right, don't cheap out.

And in reality, were we all to wheel together, as we have in the past; we would all offer our air in its many forms as much as possilbe to solve a problem should it arrise.

I preffer CO2. But on the trail, I preffer wheeling with my friends, irregardless of CO2/york/ARB/Detroit/synthetic/steel/auto/manual...

Just put me on the trail with my friends, some good rocks and I'll be happy. And the differences simply make for good campfire chat.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bob91yj
You sure seem to wheel with a bunch of broke, poorly maintained rigs!
they are called yj's - baahahaha

........and that was a joke people so don't get your pantys all wadded up
Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Quote:
Originally posted by William
bitch ass tow

That sounds like one hell of an ailment.