Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to scorpio_vette Send a message via Yahoo to scorpio_vette
cj5 speedo problems

my recently acquired cj5 showed no signs of speedo movement at all. after a quick check i noticed that cable was disconnected from the transfer case. so i completely removed it. made sure it wasn't seized up, by spinning it by hand. it moved freely. i flushed some PB-blaster through the whole line to make sure it was clean and lubed. after i installed it, i drove the cj (in my garage on jackstands. not going out of my garage till it stops and is registered) and the speedometer needle just bounced between 1 and 2.
any ideas what could be wrong???

secondly i'm not sure if it even is a speedometer or not. on the right side of the "cluster" it says: "oil" and has a little light. on the left side is says: "amp" and has a little light. below that it has a temp gauge and fuel gauge. the part that i thought to be some kind of speedo, just has big typed numbers counting from 1 up. is that the speedo, and would 1 be like 10mph or what???
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 PM

remove the speedo from dash and lube the gears in the back of it you also need to check the spedo gear in the t-case they are know to brake.