Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

my new web site

i finally did it. it is a huge learning curve, but i think i have the idea now. check it out!
www.nailer341.com
i have been in search of a good picture host, and a place to put small videos, and such... i found it! this is going to be pretty cool.
take a look, and let me know what you think.
bear in mind as you look at this, it is my very first web building experience. i knew nothing about html before yesterday. there is still a lot to do to it, but you'll get the idea.
:wave:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Reggae

Smile

Blame Canada!
Old 05-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

What is a nailer341? What does that name mean Erik? That's almost as crazy at TObject.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned for being bad

Don't quit your day job
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 05-07-2004, 04:19 PM

lol! it doesnt mean anything, really... i have been in construction all my life, and was called nailer. to get that name on the internet i had to add a few numbers, and i dont have to worry about anyone having that name already... no matter what board i go on, i can keep that name [no one wants it] LOL
as for the day job, i have no intention of quitting that just yet.
i have all of 4-5 hours teaching myself how to do this... i'm sure it will get better
Old 05-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Reggae

You may get better, but you sure picked a questionable host. Why didn't you do your homework before signing with them?
Old 05-07-2004, 04:30 PM

i looked around a bit... herard from a few people they were good the price was fair, the space big, and bandwidth pretty good too.
i still have some time to make up my mind if there is a problem. it is a 30 day free trial.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Reggae

Ok, my bad. I did not know anybody recommended your host.

I hope you speak Urdu. In case you need technical support, their is reportedly located in Pakistan.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
lol! it doesnt mean anything, really... i have been in construction all my life, and was called nailer. to get that name on the internet i had to add a few numbers, and i dont have to worry about anyone having that name already... no matter what board i go on, i can keep that name [no one wants it] LOL
as for the day job, i have no intention of quitting that just yet.
i have all of 4-5 hours teaching myself how to do this... i'm sure it will get better
Looks good dude, there is so much to learn and a endless amount of tools to help you do it. You know how to get it on your site now the rest will be down hill.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
hehe... nice videos Erik. good job man.

thanks for posting this pic... I always wondered how close to that rock I was.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:32 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Looks great!

It would have taken me a month to get that far in building a web site!

Frank
Old 05-10-2004, 07:45 AM

well, i had to resize the pictures... the bandwidth was killing me with the larger pics. i used 21 gigs of bandwidth in the 3-4 days this site has been up. holy cow!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Reggae

Word of the day: bandwidth.

This is why picture hosting web sites, such as imgastation, have so many restrictions. Pictures and videos take a lot of bandwidth. By having your own web site you have more control over how that bandwidth is spent.

The word of tomorrow is going to be oversell.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Reggae

Question: How much data can be transferred through a 1 Mbps connection in a month?

Let's figure out how many seconds there is in 30 days: 30*24*60*60 = 2592000
Now let's multiply that number by 1 (Mbps) and divide by 8 (there are 8 bits in one byte). What we get is 324000 MB, or roughly, 315 GB of theoretical limit (there are 1024 megabytes in one gigabyte).

However, keeping the bandwidth right at 1 Mbps mark is technically impossible, plus bandwidth is usually billed at 95 percentile (at least, this is how backbone wholesalers sell it). Meaning 5% of your spikes are discarded, and the next fastest is used for billing). As far as utilization goes, on a typical bandwidth curve, you'll see 1.7 ratio of peak/off-peak ratio.

In real world, 200GB on a 1 Mbps connection has been considered as conservative estimate.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:55 AM

But TO,

What about ATM burst transmision?? how do you get 500 gig in 1 hour??

Scott
Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Reggae

I am talking more from the billing side of things, rather than technical.

Yes, it is possible to go over theoretical limit on the "burstable" bandwidth. But it rarely happens. If you do not exceed 5% on the burst, you got away with it. You go over, and you get hit with hefty overage penalties.

In today's discussion I am setting up for tomorrow's discussion on how web hosts oversell bandwidth, why they do it, and how they do it.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Reggae

Overselling Bandwidth

Let's play a little game. You are a web host, and you have a server sitting on a 1 Mbps line, that we determined can sustain about 200 GB of traffic a month. You have a shiny hosting plan that you market, advertising "20 GB of Bandwidth".

Question: how many customers can you put on the server?

If you answered 10 or less, you are a very good human being, and you will go straight to heaven when you die.

Hosting companies pay attention to what their customers are doing. And the fact is, customers who purchase 20 GB of bandwidth, rarely use all of it in a month. Many use ten times as less, on a website for friends and family. Many purchase larger hosting plans to accommodate future growth of the web site. Most everybody tries their darnest not to go over the limit, and play it on the safe side, as bandwidth overage penalties are usually very steep.

If you are like an average web host, you would put 20, 30, even 40 customers on the box, you would think shouldn't have more than 10.

Overselling bandwidth seems like victimless crime on the surface. "Everybody does it", "If you do it smart, nobody gets hurt" you may say. I do not agree. The overselling aspect of the business makes the Internet connectivity market highly speculative and unstable. It hurts telecommunication industry, as there is no demand for more high-speed lines. A number of fiber-optic companies in the West went out of business, and had to lay off employees, because who needs those new throughoutputs, when you can just buy 10 Mbps and sell it ten times over.

In turn overselling negatively affects the technical core of the Internet. The cost cutting wars cause more and more traffic to go through low quality backbones and ever-increasing amount of loops.

Without any doubts I add overselling to the list of bad things that includes globalization, blogs, class action law suits, cross platform development, and JU.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:17 PM

that is a good bit of info there.. i am curious, however how much bandwidth the rest of you use on average for your basic web sites.. i thought for sure that i was over buying in the bandwidth department for the site i had in mind, and it seems that i was wrong.
the site has been up for about 5 days, and has used over 22 of my 40 gigs of bandwidth. i think i found where my biggest mistake was, and that was with the huge pictures i had uploaded to share.. i have since resized them, and i think i have the bandwidth at a managable level. even still, i am shopping around for other providers that offer more bandwidth to prevent these astronomical overage charges you speak of. i have not even begun to upload the pictures i plan to have on the site, and i have every intention of hotlinking the pics as i see fit all over the boards... [this is the killer]
i came into this knowing NOTHING, and i atleast picked up a bit of knowledge real fast. i can now set up a basic web page with a template, i learned that bandwidth can make or break you, and that everything you, and everyone else does on the site eats this BANDWIDTH. this whole web site thing is a big learning experience.