Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

We are relocating.... Yet again :-(

Both my wife and I work in an industry that has seen its share of scandals in the past year, and our jobs have been less than stable for quite some time.

For me, my company is still in transition after being saved by a buyout, or bailout depending on your view. For my wife, well, her company was taken over by the Fed and will most likely be pieced out to investors.
So, something needed to happen fast.

Luckily, a company offered her not only a job, but one that she truly enjoys. That's the good news. The bad news is that it involves a relocation. My company made her an offer so that we would stay in SoCal, but there are too many strings attached, and unless a miracle happens on Monday, it looks like we will be heading back to Minneapolis, MN.

This may put my job at risk, but the overall "family" risk is far less than the alternative proposition, and I really hope I can convince my boss to work from one of our field office in Minneapolis. If not, I graduated from the U of MN, so I plan on networking the alumni base.

So, who's up for tearing up the corn fields and cow tipping? Ian & David, I'll try to pack some rocks, that way we can crank up the heat in the TJ, close our eyes, and pretend we're in JV.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm sorry to read of those problems Lawrence, I wish you and your wife the best for the decisions you end up making. I've only been in Minneapolis once and it was about 20 below but the people up there are nice and the area has a lot going for it. Again, the best for you and the Mrs. and I hope it works out well for you.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 AM

Whoa, I can certainly relate to the relocation/move thing. It's sometimes a rough road with lots of obsticles to jump thru. I wish you nothing but the best whichever way your decisions take you.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I've only been in Minneapolis once and it was about 20 below but the people up there are nice and the area has a lot going for it.
Well the best thing Minni has over S Cal is that you will be a lot closer to me....and that 20 below...you get use to it

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 09-07-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
So, who's up for tearing up the corn fields and cow tipping? Ian & David, I'll try to pack some rocks, that way we can crank up the heat in the TJ, close our eyes, and pretend we're in JV.
For dry rocks a little similar to JV, Colorado is relatively close . (the scenery is almost as good also ). Of course if you are going that far, then you're almost at Moab, and once you are at Moab you might as well keep going and then you are back at JV. That's our rational at least. 'cause the lack of good wheeling around here really sucks.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM

We are relocating.... Yet again :-(

We would like to see you all before you leave. Sunday,14th OK?, to help pack or whatever..........Well shoot Ill just call you right now.

Al
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

wow! i am sure sorry to hear this. i hope the miracle came and things will be good here in so cal.
you will certainly be missed from the fun around here if you go.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, but the miracle didn't happen, so the move is on.

The good thing is that I was able to convince my boss to work from one of our offices up there. We'll see how long he'll be ok with that, but I won't have to look for a job right away.

So, my wife is moving there the 27th of this month, and I'll stay in CA until the house sells, or she gets tired of -20F.

Over the past couple of days, I spoke to some guys I know up there. Strangely enough, one of the guys I used to work with at Disney relocated from Corona to Minneapolis a few months ago and his advice was to bring lots of liquor to get through the winter. Ian, for some reason I was thinking of you.

I also spoke to someone else who gave me the condensed weather report: in the winter it gets colder than Moscow, then the rain comes in during spring, then it gets hot and muggy and the bugs are out through summer, then there are about 3 nice days before it gets cold again and winter settles back in. Fun times.

Wheeling apparently sucks. If you want to go camping near a lake or anywhere cool, you simply travel on well graded forrest roads that a Toyota Camry can handle. If you want to go wheeling, you go to an OHV park. These are on private land and you have to belong to a club and go during organized events. Those "technical" wheeling places usually consist of a lot of muddy terrain, yuk.

So, when I told this to my wife, she said we'll have to save our vacation days for trips back to CA. I mentioned the Thanksgiving JV trip, and she thought it would be really cool to make it a ritual. So David, it looks like we'll be tagging along with you guys on future trips.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM

Ahhh...come on ..the weather isn't that bad there...mind you I've lived my whole life in Canada...not to mention that I'm about 7 hrs north of the Twin Cities and our winter is about 3-4 weeks longer...I stick with the beer...if you get drunk on liquor and pass out in a snowbank you can become a popsicle...with the beer you just write your name in the snowbank lots...

As for the wheelin....hmmm...not that bad...the OHV Park up in Gilbert is pretty good and is not on private land and is open to anyone....the rest for the most part is private though. A one day drive and you are in the Black Hills of S Dakota and the wheelin is good there.

I look forward to meeting you as I get down that way from time to time...not as much as before the babies started arriving.

Good luck

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 AM

With you moving to Minnesota Lawrence, I think we could all make a killing buying stock in Off and DEET.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Flame Broiled is best

Lawrence...sorry to hear your leaving. Good luck out there!

If you get too cold, remember that transmission fluid on a hot exhaust is a good source of heat!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 AM

Snow wheeling is incredible.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Lived there for 23 years, Its a good place to be from.

Hopefully it will all work out for you. You just got to make the best of it and be positive, if you do that you and your family will be happy.

zman
Old 09-13-2008, 03:34 PM

sorry to hear man. I lived in upstate new york and chicago and I hate snow and cold weather.

anyways you can always put your jeep in storage here and come out for the weekends.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Got back from a trip to Bimidji and St. Cloud. Really enjoyed my time there. Definitely didn't look like good wheeling country though, as you said.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Thanks everyone. This past week was hard as reality sunk in and we had a bit of the blues about leaving CA and good friends behind.

Overall, we're actually excited as Minneapolis is a really nice city and the quality of life in MN is really good. We're also hoping to find some stability in our jobs and not be so stressed all the time. We've had a great time and met great people, but ever since our move to CA is has been a wild ride professionally.

Ian - We look forward to meeting you as well. We'd love to come up to Canada, eh! Do people really drive 50 mph? I did a mapquest from Minni to Pigeon River, and it is 300 miles - 6 hrs. I might have to install cruise control in the TJ so not to be tempted to drive LA speeds.

Jerry - Yep, I wonder if Costco sells them by the pallet.

Bob- I'll leave that up to you, you seem to have it down to a science.

Looks like I'll have some time on my hands in the winter, so look for my next mod
Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Ian - We look forward to meeting you as well. We'd love to come up to Canada, eh! Do people really drive 50 mph? I did a mapquest from Minni to Pigeon River, and it is 300 miles - 6 hrs. I might have to install cruise control in the TJ so not to be tempted to drive LA speeds.

Looks like I'll have some time on my hands in the winter, so look for my next mod

You can drive LA speeds on I 35 from Minni to Duluth but after that it's about 50 mph...real pretty drive along the lake...the road is narrow and always lots of deer.

This will be an easier accessory for your Jeep.

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
So, when I told this to my wife, she said we'll have to save our vacation days for trips back to CA. I mentioned the Thanksgiving JV trip, and she thought it would be really cool to make it a ritual. So David, it looks like we'll be tagging along with you guys on future trips.
That will be great and hopefully there will still be a JV for us to visit in the future. Anyway it's such a wonderfully scenic trip out to CA from here, you need to experience it a few times.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Well, this morning we agreed to an offer on our home. Not great, but at least we’re not losing any money, which is pretty good considering the market right now and that we bought it a little less than 4 years ago.

Let me tell you, there are some people who need to lay off the wacky weed and get back down to earth. Anyway, now it is the waiting game for the inspection and loan contingencies to be removed, and if all goes well (including appraisal), closing will be Dec 18.

Just in time for the best season in MN.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Well, this morning we agreed to an offer on our home. Not great, but at least we?re not losing any money, which is pretty good considering the market right now and that we bought it a little less than 4 years ago.

Let me tell you, there are some people who need to lay off the wacky weed and get back down to earth. Anyway, now it is the waiting game for the inspection and loan contingencies to be removed, and if all goes well (including appraisal), closing will be Dec 18.

Just in time for the best season in MN.
congratulations. is this the offer we were talking about the other night?
if so.. i think it was a reasonable offer considering the market today.
best of luck on the closing.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Yet it is Erik and it is a really good offer in today's market. Like I told you the other night, we had a fear that we would be losing money, so I can't complain and be too greedy. The buyers are going FHA, so hopefully there won't be any kinks.