Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-27-2006, 07:49 AM

Better Brakes ?????

I've searched and searched......

I'm looking for the best way to going about upgrading my brakes on my TJ I have a HPD30 in the front and a D44 rear. The axles are staying put, so axle swaps not an option. Since my switch to my Nth 6" long arm, I find that driving my TJ is FUN again on the road and I find myself driving "faster" on the road.

Rear discs are in the works to replace my wore out drums and shoes.

So for the the real upgrade for 35" tires, am I looking at Hydro Boost? I've read about it, seen all the posts, but walk away confused and not sure what's really involved in the swap.

I am looking for the best way to get brakes done. Money is an object, but not an issue, I will spend what I need to to handle the brakes correctly with-in reason. My TJ is turning 10 this year, so I guess a birthday present is in order
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
www.vancopbs.com
Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quinn,

I did the rear disc brakes first. While they did help a bit due to the fact that the drums never stayed in adjustment, the biggest improvement was in the parking brake. For whatever reason, those small brake shoes on the inner drum of the rotor work like a freakin' champ!

That said, my brakes still sucked with the 35's until I added Van's hydroboost. That mod alone made all the difference in the world. I went from not even being able to lock the tires up to practically launching the passenger through the seat! While I know that others have had great success with the WJ front disc mod, it certainly doesn't look as easy to do as the hydroboost.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Jeff, I'd be interested in comparing our 2 Jeeps some day on stopping power since we're so close to each other. I've got the WJ stuff and dual diaphragm.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Jeff, which rear disk kit did you or was it pieced together?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Scott,

I did the ZJ conversion, picking up the brackets on JU, cables from the dealer and the calipers and rotors from Blaine. Shortly thereafter, the loaded backing plates became available from the dealer for the Rubicons and the Tera came into prominence. I think it'd be certainly easier and probably cheaper at this point to pick up the Tera kit or the factory stuff if you're privy to good deals on parts through a dealer.

John,

You can try mine out but first I've got to bleed the brakes again. The Jeep has been sitting a long time and when I drove it to the store on Saturday night the pedal was a bit inconsistent.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
www.vancopbs.com
Sounds like a call to Van is the answer, or I guess I could walk over an see him at TDS
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
Sounds like a call to Van is the answer, or I guess I could walk over an see him at TDS
Well just hurry back from TDS so I can drop my Jeep off with you like we discussed a couple weeks ago on the phone.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
You can call me Ray

Send a message via ICQ to VancoPBS Send a message via AIM to VancoPBS
Quote:
I managed to convince everyone at the shop that I wasn't needed ad TDS! Lord I hate camping in the desert. Eddie and Laura will be there, they'll be offering discounts.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 PM

Can't say enough good things about VancoPBS (or Van for that matter).

If I had the time I'd offer to rewrite his instructions for YJ's - but my jeep now STOPS!

D44 front, D60 rear, lots of armor and steel, 37x13.50's. It won't ever give the Boxster any reason to worry in the "whoa!" separtment - but in 32+ years of wheeling I've _never_ had anything respond to the middle pedal like my 94YJ does

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Re: Better Brakes ?????

Quote:

So for the the real upgrade for 35" tires, am I looking at Hydro Boost? I've read about it, seen all the posts, but walk away confused and not sure what's really involved in the swap.
I don't believe you said that. With all that has been deposited here on this site in regards to a hydroboost install....what the heck are you talking about?

Give or take an item or two that Van may have changed/improved on since I installed mine, this should give you a pretty good idea of what is involved in the swap.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...droboost-1.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Print out Stu's link (in color) - for the non YJ specific stuff it was very helpful to me. In fact - I just burned my copy on Sunday lighting the fire pit after dinner.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.