Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 04-01-2002, 02:48 PM

Warn 5-5.5 versus 5-4.5 hub conversion?

What's the benefit (pros/cons) of doing the 5-5.5 conversion over the 5-4.5 on a TJ D30? I'm planning to do a Warn manual hub conversion and a FF rear with alloy inners/outers and it doesn't look like its worth it for the added expense of the 5-5.5 when I plan to stay in the 35-37" tire size range. Your thoughts/comments?

Justin
Old 04-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jolleyman:
What's the benefit (pros/cons) of doing the 5-5.5 conversion over the 5-4.5 on a TJ D30? I'm planning to do a Warn manual hub conversion and a FF rear with alloy inners/outers and it doesn't look like its worth it for the added expense of the 5-5.5 when I plan to stay in the 35-37" tire size range. Your thoughts/comments?

Justin[/quote]

Justin-you are on the hump with your tire size. Pick one. Up to 35's, there is no reason to go with the bigger kit. The hub is the fuse in most circumstances. Not 100 percent, but about 90 or so. 37's and above, you really have no choice but to go with the 5.5 kit. The little kit just won't handle the tire size reliably.

If you are doing locking hubs in the rear and any wheeling at all and not just for the convenience of flat towing, then you should go with the bigger kit. The small hubs will not last on the rear with any type of wheelin at all. If it's just for towing, no worries then.

Out of curiosity- why the FF rear?

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:07 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:

Out of curiosity- why the FF rear?

_[/quote]

Good question. I guess its obvious that if I went to the 5.5 I would want the same pattern for the rear. However if I just did the 4.5, I would probably hold off a bit on the rear. Ultimately, since I plan to stick with the rear 44, I would probably want the stronger alloy axles and I like the idea of increased life of componentry back there as well. It wouldn't be for flat towing since I plan to pick up a trailer in the near future (before I do any out of state trips) so I'd be going with the flange kit and keeping the hubs for spares.

If I go with the 5.5, I'm assuming that I'll need all new rear brake assbly (drums, backing plates, etc.) so it would probably be worthwhile to do a disk conversion? How involved/expensive would that be at that point?

Justin
Old 04-02-2002, 05:38 AM
Administrator

How many stock 44 axles have you seen break?

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:24 PM

As with most things, the answer is "not yet". Seems like in reality its always the front that breaks first, at least from my experience which isn't much.

My reasoning for considering the FF rear is in tune with going with the 5.5 conversion in the front and building the rear to match. It may in fact not be necessary to do the FF rear but since I plan to keep the D44, why not make it stronger too? The FF has the benefit of not losing a wheel should an axle break which is highly unlikely if using the Warn alloys but the main purpose would be to get to a 5.5 pattern and possible doing a disk brake conversion at the same time since I'd have to do new brakes anyway. I don't know for sure (since I don't know anyone actually running this combination) but I think it would be a good compliment to the OX locker as well, but then again I'm just thinking out loud.

So what do you think? Is it not worth the expense to bother doing a rear FF? Would you recommend just getting the axles drilled for the 5.5 wheel pattern if I opted for the 5.5 hub conversion up front?

Justin
Old 04-04-2002, 12:58 PM

Anyone have an opinion here on this??

Justin
Old 04-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Reggae

I suppose the rear hub conversion would be nice if you have to flat tow the jeep. Just by doing some approximation and tossing a coin a couple of times, I would say the small 5x4.5 hubs would be susceptible to breakages in the rear application with large (35”+) tires, especially if there is an automatic locker back there.

I wouldn’t throw any money into a stock TJ Dana 44 rear. If you are breaking those, you are probably ready for something stronger or fancier.

I can’t advocate about big vs. small hubs up front. I run small hubs with 35” tires, and I intend to keep it that way. Garry runs big hubs up front. I’ve seen him break a U-Joint, and the hub survived. When I broke the U-Joint, the hub blew up too, that kept the axle yokes intact.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 05-07-2002, 03:53 PM

I flat tow. I had a Detroit and now an Ox in the rear. No problem with either.
I still have a Detroit in the front and have added the hubs. No problem either way.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:25 PM

Firstly as said above IMHO if ging to the expense of FF rear then go big F&R.

I'm one of those still running a stock D30 (with 4.56 & Lockright). turning 35" ProComps most of the time & I also have 35" claws with beadlocks. But aside from replacing my uni-jonts (the caps were spinning - & I frequently check them). I'm not breaking stuff so hesatent to upgrade.......

Adding fuel to this a mate has a very similar setup except he has the 5x5.5 hubs & FF rear.....He's blown 3 hub fuses last count and seems to have constant problems.....Yet he's sunk a bucket load of cash into both axles.......

So I keep thinking "if it ain't broke...." and in the meantime got the funds slowly but slowly accumulating towards a swap (would like HP's)....
www.jeepaction.com.au/