Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

An easier way to do business

I know that many of you in our community (myself included) are taking advantage of good purchasing opportunities (new and used) from others in the group. That is a part of what we are all about, IMO.

One thing I've come to dislike since switching over to on-line banking (and monthly bill payment) is writing checks, buying money orders, etc.

I know I brought this up before, concerning the purchase of raffle tickets, but I still think PayPal is a helpful tool in helping move payments back and forth between members.

In it's simplest form, it is easy enough to use. Just enter the recipient’s email address and the amount you wish to send. You can pay with a credit card or your checking account. The recipient gets an email that says "You’ve Got Cash!" Recipients can then collect their money by clicking a link in the email that takes them to www.paypal.com.
They have three account levels and only charge Premier and Business accounts to receive payments.

I hold a Premier account myself. I also have their ATM/Debit card (I don't use their Visa card) which allows me the same payment flexibility as does my bank's ATM/Debit card. I can put gas in my car, buy brake calipers, etc.

If for some reason I decide that I need money from my PayPal account for my regular checking account, I can electronically transfer it with no fees involved.

I suppose I could go on and on and really stetch this post out (as if I have not already), but you probably have gotten the point that I think this is a handy payment tool for the way some of us do business.

I would strongly urge you to swing by http://www.paypal.com and check it out. I started my account long, long ago, and have never had a single problem with them. (and your account is insusred for $100K against fraud).

If you currently have a PayPal account, post a note here....I am just curious to know who already does.

And last buy not least, I still think it would make raffle ticket purchases easier (not that I don't appreciate the work being done by Unless your William already!)

Stu

p.s. As I was just writing this, I discovered that I can accept credit card payment on my web site. You learn something every day. (and I just told a customer the other day that I could not process a credit card payent from him!)

In the near future I'm going to build a thingy for the back of my Jeep and carry more stuff.
http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 01-12-2002, 09:01 AM

I have an account too.

I read on JU about people not being able to collect from Paypal for fraud with the whole Brennan Metcalf ordeal. Something about he had no funds in his account therefor PP couldn't issue a refund.

It can from the factory a little wimpy. I'm working on setting it straight...
Old 01-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jim,

I'm not a legal expert here, but when I read the statement about PayPal's $100,000 account protection, I understood it to mean that was coverage for you against fraudulant (sp) use of the account....not in dealing with someone who is dishonest.

If you sent a dishonest person a personal or certified check, and they cashed it and never sent you your goods, should your bank cover that for you? PayPal is NOT a credit card (not the part we are talking about here), it is an eletronic money transfer.

I would NOT expect PayPal to cover my losses because I paid someone with it and they screwed me. I might be completely wrong, but that is how I look at it.

In the near future I'm going to build a thingy for the back of my Jeep and carry more stuff.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:24 AM

I have PayPal. I've used it for lots of stuff never a problem. It really made eBay easier. I also think in regards to fraud, if someone took the time to enter their checking account number they are going to be easier to track down, so less likely to commit fraud. Just a thought.

Sean M Higgins
higs@higsrigs.com

Beers are never strangers, just friends who's heads you haven't ripped off and sucked all the life out of, before smashing them in the trash barrel.

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 01-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Banned for being bad

I agree with Stu as well, I use paypal as well and it is painless.

01 Sport, Auto, BACK STREET BOYS RULE, Silverstone ,IDE RULES, D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 ,Harry B Sux, Tera S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, Currie steering damper, Bilstein Shocks, GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 04:57 PM

Thanks Stu. That makes perfect sense.

It can from the factory a little wimpy. I'm working on setting it straight...
Old 01-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Reggae

I have a pay pal account, but it is very close to be maxed out on the limit. To raise the limit I need to link a bank account to pay pal. I am not ready to do that, I do not trust them that much.

There has been a case of a whole bunch of Paypal customer credit card numbers stolen.

Edit:
I did not want to sound negative in my message. I think that having a Pay Pal account is a good idea.

[This message was edited by TObject on January 13, 2002 at 12:16 AM.]

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 01-13-2002, 06:07 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Sergey,

Your concerns are certainly valid ones and I would not consider you negatvie for expressing them (quite the opposite acctually).

I didn't find the details on the PayPal website about "maxing out ones limit", but at one time I do remember reading something about that. Correct me if I am wrong....that max amount is the amount of $$ that you can send in a given time period?

I can't say much else about it. Most of my thoughts were expressed in my first posting. I am glad to see that some folks have it. I do believe it is a tool that some can use to make transactions a bit easier.

Old 01-13-2002, 06:43 AM

I just started a paypal account over the weekend. I bought some TJ flares and sold one of my carriers. It is great. I love the "you got cash". It gives you great peace of mind when you buy or sell. It protects both party's.

Scott E.

95 YJ Gettin better all the time.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:49 PM

I've been doing business with PayPal for over a year, taking transactions through my website. I've had NO problems whatsoever in that year. I'm a fan...and the debit card also gives you a rebate of like 1.6% which reduces your transaction fees to under 2%, which is good. Visa/MC normally charges upwards of 4% through other channels.

Anyway, I'm a fan!
Old 01-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Banned

Stu, William,

I think this would be a painless way for me to send in money for the raffle. I've been really busy lately and it was in the back of my mind to send a check out for the raffle... guess what, I missed it.

I would have rather just hit a key on the keyboard on Paypal and send someone the money. No need for applications.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 01-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jim,

That is exactly one of the reasons I like PayPal....a couple of seconds on the keyboard and it is taken care of.

Old 01-15-2002, 07:47 PM

I have a paypal account that I use frequently. The only thing I dislike is the fee for incoming money. Its not a big deal but when you are dealing with hundreds of dollars and paypal takes out 3.5% or whatever it is, the amount adds up.

1999 TJ 5.5" RE, 2" BL, 35" Claws

www.beast40.com
Old 01-16-2002, 03:38 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beast40:
I have a paypal account that I use frequently. The only thing I dislike is the fee for incoming money. Its not a big deal but when you are dealing with hundreds of dollars and paypal takes out 3.5% or whatever it is, the amount adds up.
[/quote]

Beast,

There is no fees if you have the Paypal set up from your checking account and make the payment or transfer as such. The recipient will incur no fees. I've had mine set up for 2 years this way and never had problems.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 01-16-2002, 06:00 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

JimB,

It depends on which account level you have. The basic account has limits as to how many $$ worth of transactions you can have, etc. (I don't remember if they are outgoing, incoming, or a combination of both.) I too pay an inprocessing fee, but I can get some of that back by using my PayPal Debit card.

Anyway, for the small dollar transactions, it is nearly the price of a stamp and envelope....so I view it as a wash.