Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-16-2003, 08:54 PM

Wow, a twisted D44 axle shaft

Was I shocked when I pulled the driver's side D44 axle shaft out today during the rear disk brake conversion. The splines are twisted where they enter the locker. At least the other side looks mostly ok. The beginnings of a slight tweak but very minor when compared to the driver's side. I re-installed them to keep going on the brake conversion but it looks like a set of Superior axle shafts are on the short list. I've seen 'em for $109 apiece, there's got to be somewhere cheaper, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try Bob Supplee too.

How common is it to see a slightly twisted D44 axle shaft at the splines? Impending failure the next wheeling trip or what?

By the way, the brake pedal is very soft and mushy after getting the disk brake conversion done. I've bled them as good as myself and a friend knew how so tomorrow I'll take them to get them power bled. I sure hope that helps because the braking is pretty bad right now. I didn't even want to drive it home from the friend's house I installed them at so it's parked there overnight.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:17 PM

you could test how long it will last so we will all know
Old 08-16-2003, 11:32 PM

Jerry, I wheeled a set of 44 axles with slightly twisted splines for over 1 year. Kept expecting it to break but it didn't. Gave me plenty of time to get spares made.
Personal opinion: I think the lockers are what is the #1 cause for this.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed

Personal opinion: I think the lockers are what is the #1 cause for this.
Having a manual tranny in addition to the locker doesn't help. Jerry, is that $109 per axle for stock replacements? Why not upgrade to the high strength ones while you're at it?
Old 08-17-2003, 02:42 AM

Jerry, seems I recall Blaine discovering that he had a twisted spline in one of his D44's. I could be wrong, but I think it was caused by not having the correct length shaft installed from the factory.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Having a manual tranny in addition to the locker doesn't help. Jerry, is that $109 per axle for stock replacements? Why not upgrade to the high strength ones while you're at it?
That's for a stronger Superior Axle axle shaft Jeff, the ad says it's 30% stronger than a stock shaft.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jerry,

What are the chances of you having your calipers on upside down? If you look at them and your bleed screw is below the point where your brake line attaches, you need to swap the calipers side to side and rebleed them.

I ask this only because it is probably the most common problem for people not getting good brakes after doing caliper work.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Jerry,

What are the chances of you having your calipers on upside down? If you look at them and your bleed screw is below the point where your brake line attaches, you need to swap the calipers side to side and rebleed them.

I ask this only because it is probably the most common problem for people not getting good brakes after doing caliper work.
Heheh, what are the chances I installed the calipers upside down? 100%. I got a call earlier today from the place doing the power bleed telling me I had reversed them and they were thus mounted upside down. How embarassing since I knew about that issue beforehand from a friend that did the same thing during his rear disk brake conversion. Oh well, I let them fix the problem for $35 since I didn't want to have to pull the wheels off again.

Well the good news is that the new rear brakes now work great, the braking improvement is almost dramatic. The e-brake news isn't as good. The adjusting nut is adjusted all the way in and the e-brake barely holds the Jeep from rolling down my not-so-steep driveway. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

Next weekend I'll install the new Performance Friction pads. And the brake line flaring went pretty well. I ended up borrowing a double-flare kit from Pep Boys which worked well. No leaks so far at least.

Oh, the new Explorer brake rotors wouldn't fit over the rear D44 hubs, I had to enlarge the hole quite a bit with a die grinder. Minor issue in hindsight, I just wasn't expecting it.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford

Oh, the new Explorer brake rotors wouldn't fit over the rear D44 hubs, I had to enlarge the hole quite a bit with a die grinder. Minor issue in hindsight, I just wasn't expecting it.
If your rotors didn't fit over the centering nub on the axle, there is a good chance they are about 18 dollars worth of offshore rotors. I've run into that issue with cheap rotors before and just got different ones. If you did not have the hole machined on center, there's a good change your rotor will not run true and really wear the pads quickly.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
If your rotors didn't fit over the centering nub on the axle, there is a good chance they are about 18 dollars worth of offshore rotors. I've run into that issue with cheap rotors before and just got different ones. If you did not have the hole machined on center, there's a good change your rotor will not run true and really wear the pads quickly.
I was worried about that too but the rotor seems to fit over the studs snugly enough that it looks ok.

Now to fix the new driver's side axle seal leak all this caused.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Jerry,

WRT your e-brakes, do you have the shoes correctly adjusted?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Jerry,

WRT your e-brakes, do you have the shoes correctly adjusted?
That was the problem, Jeff. Blaine figured that one out for me right away and posted that in another thread for me. I looked right at the adjustment wheel while installing the brakes and then forgot to adjust them afterwards. DOH! You nailed it too though.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jay
I've had 44's front and rear for about 18 years now. I also use to run nitros on the jeep with pretty big paddles. When I quit hot dogging and just started jeeping is when I noticed the rear axles were twisted. Ran them for about ten years that way. I run 35" Mickys with lockers front and rear. It was just this year at TDS is when one went. So I changed them both. So in answer to your question who knows how long they will last? I do know it messed my weekend up. Hope this information helps.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I've had 44's front and rear for about 18 years now. I also use to run nitros on the jeep with pretty big paddles. When I quit hot dogging and just started jeeping is when I noticed the rear axles were twisted. Ran them for about ten years that way. I run 35" Mickys with lockers front and rear. It was just this year at TDS is when one went. So I changed them both. So in answer to your question who knows how long they will last? I do know it messed my weekend up. Hope this information helps.
Thanks Jay. Based on that and other input, I ordered a set of Superior Axle replacement axle shafts a few minutes ago. For only $99 each with a discount code from 4WD Hardware, this is the right time to go ahead and do it. I'll keep the old axle shafts for spares for me or anyone else who needs them. At least I didn't waste the new bearings and seals on the old axles once the twisted axle shaft was noted... so things are a bit leaky right now with the old seals.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Jay. Based on that and other input, I ordered a set of Superior Axle replacement axle shafts a few minutes ago. For only $99 each with a discount code from 4WD Hardware, this is the right time to go ahead and do it. I'll keep the old axle shafts for spares for me or anyone else who needs them. At least I didn't waste the new bearings and seals on the old axles once the twisted axle shaft was noted... so things are a bit leaky right now with the old seals.
Hopefully you twisted the long side and can toss it. You only need to carry the short side as a spare. It will work on both sides.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you twisted the long side and can toss it. You only need to carry the short side as a spare. It will work on both sides.
With less spline contact area, do you have to drive "easier"?

Or are you good to go, no worries?

This is helpful info.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
With less spline contact area, do you have to drive "easier"?

Or are you good to go, no worries?

This is helpful info.....

Allen
How the thunder would I know? I only know that my jeep came from the factory with two short sides installed. I wheeled it extensively in JV with no apparent damage and didn't even know it until I swapped in a HP 9" two plus years later.

I do know that if you had asked me if .200 of engagement would work in JV I would have considered you looney for even suggesting it. Like I said, how the thunder would I know?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Banned

Re: Wow, a twisted D44 axle shaft

Quote:
Was I shocked when I pulled the driver's side D44 axle shaft out today during the rear disk brake conversion. The splines are twisted where they enter the locker.
Hmmmm....... I remember Blaine showed a pic of his D44 axle shaft; the splines were perfect condition even he wheeled extensively in JV. He contributed the lack of any sign of damage was due to the gentleness of an auto tranny that he has on his TJ.

Last year, I pulled my axle shafts out and getting ready to install the full floater. To my surprise, my axle shafts look like new even my TJ got pretty hard use, Paragon all most very weekend, Big Dog run, plus Colorado and Moab for two year in a row. So it got me thinking either I am a very gentle in using the manual tranny, or Blaine is wrong. The condition of axle shaft has nothing to do the transmission.

A year went by without thinking much about this, now you reported the splines of your axle shaft are twisted. If Blaine is right, then you should replace your manual to a auto to avoid this happening again OR
learn how to drive a manual . Just wondering which way is easier.......... switch to auto
Old 08-18-2003, 09:44 PM

Re: Re: Wow, a twisted D44 axle shaft

Quote:
Originally posted by underDAWG
you should replace your manual to a auto to avoid this happening again
Heh, that would be great. One of these years I will do that. I'm wondering if my low ratio 4.88 gears contributed to this? I don't actually suspect they did, just realizing that it's a possibility.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Banned

I am just funning, Jerry. I think the difference between mine and yours is due to the Tera low. You may need to ride on yor clutch more than i do. I seldom use my clutch when I wheel. So for all practially purpose I think I have an auto but it called NV3550
Old 08-19-2003, 05:31 AM

Jerry,

Were these tweeked when you went from 4.10 to 4.88's? Or did you check?

I have some spare shafts that you could use while getting them fixed if you need to, but I think that someone has them right now on loan.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Jerry,

Were these tweeked when you went from 4.10 to 4.88's? Or did you check?

I have some spare shafts that you could use while getting them fixed if you need to, but I think that someone has them right now on loan.
I didn't notice it while I was out in the shop for a few minutes during the 4.10 to 4.88 conversion but I kind of think the tech would have told me if they had been twisted... so I think it must have happened after the 4.88 installation. I did a few pretty tough (for me) runs after the 4.88 gears were installed so I'm not real surprised. I already have new Superior Axle shafts on order from 4WD Hardware but thanks for the offer of loaner shafts William.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by underDAWG
I am just funning, Jerry. I think the difference between mine and yours is due to the Tera low. You may need to ride on yor clutch more than i do. I seldom use my clutch when I wheel. So for all practially purpose I think I have an auto but it called NV3550
Now all you have to do is figure out how to step on the brakes without pushing in the clutch and stop it from dying at a standstill.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Now all you have to do is figure out how to step on the brakes without pushing in the clutch and stop it from dying at a standstill.
You already figure it out for me, let the engine die, or turn the engine off. When I ready to go again, start the engine when in gear. Look MOM.....no clutch.
I do occassionally use my clutch.