Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-02-2001, 09:20 AM
Banned

RE Control Arms ?

Are lower adjustable control arms the same, front and rear? I’m making a list of things I need to get and when looking at RE control arms it looks like the part numbers are the same front and rear for lower arms (upper arms are different). Anyone know if these are correct:

Front Upper Adjustable (RE3780) $200
Front Lower Adjustable (RE3715) $219
Rear Upper Adjustable (RE3783) $200
Rear Lower Adjustable (RE3715) $219

Do the prices look about right; too low, too high? I’ll probably get one or two pairs this month (probably one), and figure I’ll get rear lowers (to adjust pinion angle of the rear end). Any reason I should get uppers instead of lowers first? It looks like my Rubicon trip will be postponed until next year so I’m buying these over time, not all at once.

Thanks a lot.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 07-02-2001, 09:58 AM
Reggae

I don’t see any harm with the adjustable lower control arms being the same, provided you use stock brackets. After all, stock lower control arms are the same all around.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-03-2001, 08:09 AM

Ace,
The adjustable lowers only get longer than stock.
I have a 4 1/2" lift and belly up with fixed RE lower and adjustable uppers. The rear adjustable lowers would be useless in my case, probably true for you too..........
I have a brand new set I paid $206 for that's going back. I'll send them your way if you want them.
Ron
Old 07-03-2001, 08:22 AM
Banned

Thanks, but if what you’re saying is true, then I would only be able to point my pinion down with those lower adjustable control arms, right? Seems it would defeat the purpose of what I’m trying to do, but maybe I’m thinking about it wrong. Seems if the lowers can’t get shorter I’d have to lengthen my uppers first, in order to point the pinion of the axle toward the t-case. Is that right?

I didn’t realize that the lowers wouldn’t get shorter (although with the lift and longer uppers it probably would work out, even if the lowers stayed stock length).

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 07-03-2001, 09:10 AM
Banned

Ace,

TJRon is correct. If you have the RE4.5 there is really no need to get adjustable rear lowers. They will more than likely be stronger as they do not have the all-thread. Adjusting your pinion angle from the adjustable uppers is all you need to go up or down.

If you don't have adjustable uppers, I personally would still do it the same way and get the uppers.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 07-03-2001, 10:26 AM

Yeah Ace,
I was thinking along the same lines as you. I cranked the uppers to point the pinion up and it kind of boings the springs out. I figured with shorter lowers I could pull the axle in better line with the perches. That's why I've got a set now. If you think about it, shortening a control arm is probably a dumb idea with a lift like our. All works fine but relocating the perches would be cool!
Ron
Old 07-03-2001, 02:48 PM
Banned

Usually the length of the lowers pretty much dictates center. If you were to move forward (depending on size of tires) while stuffing them into the well, you most likely will hit the bottom front of the well. If you were to move it back it will get near the gastank on a tj and will probably hit or rub slightly the rear of the well which is no biggy, gas tank being primary concern.

Even when I initially installed the long arm kit coming from the short arm, trying to estimate center I was .25" to far forward eating up the lower front part of the well. I've since moved it back .25" and it's centered perfectly.

If you look at a bone stock tj the springs still boings a bit out. When it articulates up, it goes straight into the upper angle perch.

With the upper adjustables you will be able to adjust up or down without any problems. It would become difficult if you stuffed the TC way into the body causing the angle to be quite high, but at this point an inch or two back or forward with the lowers would not make that much of a difference on that pinion angle.

Hek, every vehicle is different even if same model and you must do what works best for you.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42