Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-02-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Be glad I don't ban your ass.

Been gone a while myself but I haven't lost my touch...............

I can still spot Tracy in under three posts!!!

Old 12-02-2003, 12:56 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
My mother was an English Major/Nazi.....

So to me, writing skills are important.....

Yet I am far from a good writer.....

I just like giving you a hard time.

Allen
Your mother would be disapointed with you. An ellipse consists of three dots...

Old 12-02-2003, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
As far as the Run-On sentences well what can I say I live in Ohio
Good god man, that explains a lot of things. I spent most of my school years in Columbus and can't say I got much out of it other than meeting my my wife at Ohio State. Now she supports me and I don't need much of an education to be a "semi-retired" dad.

Chris
Old 12-02-2003, 04:35 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cement_guy
Been gone a while myself but I haven't lost my touch...............

I can still spot Tracy in under three posts!!!

Man it good to see that your still alive man between You and Allen I have had my best laughs on the internet.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper

I've been doing it this way for 5 years or so.....

I think the other way is wrong and my way is right.....

At least my way looks better.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 12-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
Good god man, that explains a lot of things. I spent most of my school years in Columbus and can't say I got much out of it other than meeting my my wife at Ohio State. Now she supports me and I don't need much of an education to be a "semi-retired" dad.

Chris
I have been in Columbus for 5 years and my IQ has dropped by more than half. It must be something in the water around here.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:17 PM

Talking

Quote:
I have been in Columbus for 5 years and my IQ has dropped by more than half.

Zero divided by two is still zero pal.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Ahh, but what's zero divided by zero?
Old 12-03-2003, 04:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Zero divided by two is still zero pal.
Thanks I needed that
Old 12-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Banned

My Anti-Rock has been found. It sounds like it was delived to the senders house on Tuesday. I bet it never made it out of CA. "Because of UPS that is"
Old 12-03-2003, 07:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
"what can brown do for you?"
"you send it, we bend it!"
glad it was located i hate when that stuff happens. it bugs me all night and day
Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks I needed that
No problem! I leave my self open, and sometimes, I get lonely when no one takes a shot at me.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:27 AM

Quote:
My Anti-Rock has been found. It sounds like it was delived to the senders house on Tuesday. I bet it never made it out of CA. "Because of UPS that is"
Imagine my chagrin when I followed my winch (UPS tracking) all the way from PA to the Seattle distribution hub and watch it dissapear from there. I didn't have my winch for a spring snow outing (and I needed it too). Quadratec wasn't smart enough to insure it so they had to eat it and ship another.

Two 8274-50's they shipped for $864. I don't think they made much on that transaction. I just hope the thief knew what it was worth and his 'fence' gave him the apropriate amount of crack for it.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 PM

Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
and ambulance conversion factory in Ohio,
just out of curiosity... BRAUN or LIFESTAR? i'm guessing braun since lifestar mainly just refurbishes.

greg
Old 12-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Originally posted by mckeddie
just out of curiosity... BRAUN or LIFESTAR? i'm guessing braun since lifestar mainly just refurbishes.

greg
Neither, Horton.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Neither, Horton.
never heard of that one. i have lots of friends that work at the other two (they are both near my parents house). i know they both do lots of work with stuff in california. actually, i keep trying to get monica to quit her bank and go to braun. Lifestar did alot of the work on my bestfriend's old jeep when he worked there.

greg
Old 12-04-2003, 04:22 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Neither, Horton.

Are talking about Horton in Grove City OH? It is in the same industrial park the company I work for is. If you ever fly out this way let me know I'll take you out for dinner.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:07 AM

Horton has a good name in the business. One of our company's uses their rigs almost exclusively.

Seem to be nicely layed out, solidly built and dependable. We notice very few OOS (out of service) mechanical reports from them with those units.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper

Unless it's at the end of the sentence. It's 4 then....
Old 12-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Horton has a good name in the business. One of our company's uses their rigs almost exclusively.

Seem to be nicely layed out, solidly built and dependable. We notice very few OOS (out of service) mechanical reports from them with those units.
We use Horton for our type III's exclusively. Have been for many years. They originally use Pierce to manufacture their bodies for the mods on the Ford Cutaway chassis we use, but about 8 years ago, started building their own. Vastly improved product.

I have a few issues with the units, but on the whole am highly pleased.

Actually most of my issues lie with the Ford Ambulance Prep package. OTOH the QVM demand for units is such a small segment of the total output that we have little to no say in getting our desires accomodated by Ford.

The worst thing they do to us is the electrical system. I have a total of 16 4 head strobe power supplies and the electrical draw, while economical for what it is, would be horrific if powering up halogens, and is still substancial. Two 135 amp alternators that have now been re-rated to 110 by using different math is just not adequate.

I am impressed with the new System 2000 control system for the units. Nice clean functional and simple unit. It's nice to eliminate all those old clunky solenoids we used to have racks of.

Interestingly, Leader is who we use for our Type I's and a few years ago were combined with Horton and one other to be a company with 3 divisions to supply the EV market. Another excellent product and one that was the result of doing one product and refining it to the point of excellence. The other nice thing about Leader is they are fairly local being in South El Monte.

Horton/Leader having their excellent reputations is also nice when RFP season rolls around.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Are talking about Horton in Grove City OH? It is in the same industrial park the company I work for is. If you ever fly out this way let me know I'll take you out for dinner.
One and the same. I've actually visited there and have little to no desire to go back. Too many trees, not enough people, can't stand good food, and the folks were too friendly and down to earth.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:57 AM

Blaine,

I'm surprised you can't spec order higher output alternators for your rolling chassis'. I agree a couple 110's are marginal given the high electrical load, even with dual batts and an auto throttle kick-up when parked and running.

Albeit those issues, you have to admit the Ford chassis is a marked improvement from the old Dodge chassis of years ago (yes, I'm dating myself). You had trouble keeping those units running, and they rode so horrible they shook the box apart in short order. I've seen more than one Type III built on a Dodge frame get the box lifted off and placed on a new rolling chassis.

Leader is very popular around here for Type I configurations.

BTW, you mentioned, "We use Horton for our type III's exclusively". I'm curious who "we" is? If you'd rather not say publicly (for whatever reason), feel free to shoot me a PM or such.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Blaine,

I'm surprised you can't spec order higher output alternators for your rolling chassis'. I agree a couple 110's are marginal given the high electrical load, even with dual batts and an auto throttle kick-up when parked and running.

Albeit those issues, you have to admit the Ford chassis is a marked improvement from the old Dodge chassis of years ago (yes, I'm dating myself). You had trouble keeping those units running, and they rode so horrible they shook the box apart in short order. I've seen more than one Type III built on a Dodge frame get the box lifted off and placed on a new rolling chassis.

Leader is very popular around here for Type I configurations.

BTW, you mentioned, "We use Horton for our type III's exclusively". I'm curious who "we" is? If you'd rather not say publicly (for whatever reason), feel free to shoot me a PM or such.
I am under full time retainer as a EV engineer and consultant to Medix Ambulance here in SoCal. We run about 45 units in several cities with the largest being Mission Viejo.

As to ordering higher output alternators, Ford is a real stickler about that stuff and if you make any changes to the charging system whatsoever, they immediately slap you with a denial of warranty.

We have to be very cognizant of our public image, so we give City Council members no avenue of complaint when we state that we run only OEM parts for design and durability issues.

If you've been through the RFP process, you are aware of the problems with everything you say becoming a contractual obligation to be lived up to.

Another reason for the Horton boxes is they were at one time or still are the only one crash tested at 60 miles an hour into a concrete wall and still maintain structural integrity.

I've actually seen the inside video camera shots taken during that crash. Astounding what happens to an interior at that speed. The box didn't fail, but I am pretty sure nothing else survived.

Sort of makes me wonder why no providers ever use the over the shoulder restraints that come with all guerneys.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Addendum-

Along those same lines, I was responsible for switching to Lexan on all interior cabinets to prevent breakage. That is slowly becoming the standard at Horton.

I have developed an overhead console to relocate the Control Head to just above the rear view mirror to free up the space between the seats.

I developed a 2 D and 2 E console that automatically locks those tanks in place during a rollover that is much easier to use than the screw clamp crap on the Ferno holder.

I developed the computer system console to give us paperless capability and at the time was the only one in the US to have it.

I was the first to use a double wide clamp on the cot latch to prevent failure of the tube that the clamp went around. Very problematical on the old Ferno stuff and Stryker copied it.

I designed a perfect Sharps container bracket in use on everyone of our units to prevent a loose container in the event of an accident. Simple, clean, functional.

I am building our own back-up camera system with the monitor in the visor and a modified 73 series light housing with an enclosed camera. TFT monitor and a lipstick all weather camera. Low profile and not readily recognizeable as to what it is.

I implemented siren horns in our front bumpers to be at 45 degrees to the direction of travel to improve intersection warning capability as the unit approaches.

I converted a MX 7000 69" light bar to have 27 strobes in it including the world's first rotating mirrors with center mounted strobes. In the same lightbar, I modified the 3M opticom to have a remote power supply which allowed me to place it in the center without emptying out the center bay upper and lower decks. This light bar also has intersection lights that wag with strobes in them.

Add a pair of the new LED steady red modules and it is the single most attention grabbing lightbar in use today.

That is a few of the things I have developed that are a continual source of comment at the different factories we deal with.

In my spare time I also design and build disaster response units for the various cities we are under contract to.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I am under full time retainer as a EV engineer and consultant to Medix Ambulance here in SoCal. We run about 45 units in several cities with the largest being Mission Viejo.

As to ordering higher output alternators, Ford is a real stickler about that stuff and if you make any changes to the charging system whatsoever, they immediately slap you with a denial of warranty.

We have to be very cognizant of our public image, so we give City Council members no avenue of complaint when we state that we run only OEM parts for design and durability issues.

If you've been through the RFP process, you are aware of the problems with everything you say becoming a contractual obligation to be lived up to.

Another reason for the Horton boxes is they were at one time or still are the only one crash tested at 60 miles an hour into a concrete wall and still maintain structural integrity.

I've actually seen the inside video camera shots taken during that crash. Astounding what happens to an interior at that speed. The box didn't fail, but I am pretty sure nothing else survived.

Sort of makes me wonder why no providers ever use the over the shoulder restraints that come with all guerneys.
I've heard of Medix Ambulance, but never worked with them. Wouldn't be surprised if they apply for our RFP process as I know them as one the larger providers. And yes, I fully understand contractual obligations and ensuring the city and/or county leaders are placated.

As to the crash issue, I've never seen that crash test footage, but I can only imagine the secondary impacts in the back of a rig are not pretty. Especially since most attendants are unrestrained.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Addendum-

Along those same lines, I was responsible for switching to Lexan on all interior cabinets to prevent breakage. That is slowly becoming the standard at Horton.

I have developed an overhead console to relocate the Control Head to just above the rear view mirror to free up the space between the seats.

I developed a 2 D and 2 E console that automatically locks those tanks in place during a rollover that is much easier to use than the screw clamp crap on the Ferno holder.

I developed the computer system console to give us paperless capability and at the time was the only one in the US to have it.

I was the first to use a double wide clamp on the cot latch to prevent failure of the tube that the clamp went around. Very problematical on the old Ferno stuff and Stryker copied it.

I designed a perfect Sharps container bracket in use on everyone of our units to prevent a loose container in the event of an accident. Simple, clean, functional.

I am building our own back-up camera system with the monitor in the visor and a modified 73 series light housing with an enclosed camera. TFT monitor and a lipstick all weather camera. Low profile and not readily recognizeable as to what it is.

I implemented siren horns in our front bumpers to be at 45 degrees to the direction of travel to improve intersection warning capability as the unit approaches.

I converted a MX 7000 69" light bar to have 27 strobes in it including the world's first rotating mirrors with center mounted strobes. In the same lightbar, I modified the 3M opticom to have a remote power supply which allowed me to place it in the center without emptying out the center bay upper and lower decks. This light bar also has intersection lights that wag with strobes in them.

Add a pair of the new LED steady red modules and it is the single most attention grabbing lightbar in use today.

That is a few of the things I have developed that are a continual source of comment at the different factories we deal with.

In my spare time I also design and build disaster response units for the various cities we are under contract to.
And in your remaining spare time you try to camp with friends and get a little 4-wheelin' in.

Actually, I've been around long enough to be familiar with some of the changes you described. It's also quite apparent you've been dealing with this industry for quite some time. I especially like the 45 degree siren mounting for intersections. Most folks don't realize that siren systems don't put out that much sound, especially around corners.

I wished more providers employed the use of Opticoms. That, and proper emergency driving procedures, would cut-down on many of our emergency response related MVAs.

Maybe someday we'll get together and commiserate about the EMS industry
Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
One and the same. I've actually visited there and have little to no desire to go back. Too many trees, not enough people, can't stand good food, and the folks were too friendly and down to earth.
That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile.
Yah, I can be sneaky with my compliments on occasion.

They're kinda like last years unfound easter eggs, you stumble on them at the funniest of times.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blowing off some steam.

Quote:
Yah, I can be sneaky with my compliments on occasion.

They're kinda like last years unfound easter eggs, you stumble on them at the funniest of times.
you stumble on them at the funniest of times

I thought you where going to say because they stink when you crack them open J/K
Old 12-11-2003, 02:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to yellowdog
Quote:
Originally posted by Cement_guy
Imagine my chagrin when I followed my winch (UPS tracking) all the way from PA to the Seattle distribution hub and watch it dissapear from there. I didn't have my winch for a spring snow outing (and I needed it too). Quadratec wasn't smart enough to insure it so they had to eat it and ship another.

Two 8274-50's they shipped for $864. I don't think they made much on that transaction. I just hope the thief knew what it was worth and his 'fence' gave him the apropriate amount of crack for it.
hey ken funny seeing you here buddy!!!!!!!!! dag dude ya shoulda got the winch when ya stayed over my house QTech is 25 minutes from here