Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
You only have 1 bike? I have a Hardtail and a Full suspension and road bike I'm not into the single speed thing.
Now who is getting into a mine is better then yours or bigger or more discussion?

I can only ride one bike at a time - so yes I only have one, it sure is a nice red color though...

Jeff
Old 02-24-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scratch
I have a few projects to finish on the jeep then I think that it for a while. The jeep will be following my fifthwheel and taking me to the farthest deepest place that I can get to cast my fly line.
My feelings exactly. The cage is getting installed in April and then I have 2 trips planned for this year - 1 to Arizona in May and 1 to the Dusy In July. After that, the Jeep can sit in the garage AFAIAC.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Now who is getting into a mine is better then yours or bigger or more discussion?

I can only ride one bike at a time - so yes I only have one, it sure is a nice red color though...

Jeff
So what do you ride? I think my next one will be white one My FS is out dated it's a Trek Carbon Fiber Y bike nice and light but the suspension compresses when you pedal it's not very efficient I love my Hard Tail it's a Home Grown Pro with XTR and Hayes disk brakes I love that bike
Old 02-24-2004, 10:59 AM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Wheeling is like any other hobby/lifestyle. People will come and go. Some will never leave once they find it, whatever it is.

Tracy, I sort of doubt you're done. This reminds me of the "done with the Jeep, on to the sami" thing not long ago. If you were honestly done, you would do what others before you have done, and leave quietly with a simple goodbye, if that. I think sethmark is right, at least to a point.

Get offended at what I said, or don't. Stay, or go. Sell off tons now and have to rebuy it later when you change your mind, or don't. It's all up to you, have fun with your decision.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
My feelings exactly. The cage is getting installed in April and then I have 2 trips planned for this year - 1 to Arizona in May and 1 to the Dusy In July. After that, the Jeep can sit in the garage AFAIAC.
Thats really a ton of money to have tied up in something your not going to use. I understand that you love your jeep but if it sits what good is it? Sell it and buy something you can use a couple times a month or go on more sking trips.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Reggae

Smile

Sure Robert, sell your jeep. I'll give you $5 for it. I could use a spare jeep.

You could buy a lift ticket for $5, couldn't you?

I am being sarcastic.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper
Wheeling is like any other hobby/lifestyle. People will come and go. Some will never leave once they find it, whatever it is.

Tracy, I sort of doubt you're done. This reminds me of the "done with the Jeep, on to the sami" thing not long ago. If you were honestly done, you would do what others before you have done, and leave quietly with a simple goodbye, if that. I think sethmark is right, at least to a point.

Get offended at what I said, or don't. Stay, or go. Sell off tons now and have to rebuy it later when you change your mind, or don't. It's all up to you, have fun with your decision.
Samurai is gone on Wendnesday. The Samurai was my last effort to see if this could be fun because the Samurai is a lot cheaper. But after dealing with people that stick you with parts that they sold you and said it had a lock-right and it had a heater hose welded insided the diff and you get stuck with it the was the last straw. I said forget this crap.

The jeep will get buffed out this spring and get some new fender flairs. And there is no way 'm going to put scratchs in it after it gets pretty it will be a nice convertable DD.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Sure Robert, sell your jeep. I'll give you $5 for it. I could use a spare jeep.

You could buy a lift ticket for $5, couldn't you?

I am being sarcastic.
I see you?re really up on the recent lift ticket prices
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thats really a ton of money to have tied up in something your not going to use. I understand that you love your jeep but if it sits what good is it? Sell it and buy something you can use a couple times a month or go on more sking trips.
You missed my point, I never said I wanted out of the sport - I'm just done with some of the people and some of the attitude.

Frankly, I have neither the time nor money to wheel more than a couple of times of year at this point anyways. I want to retire by the time I'm 55 so I need to pay attention to a few things other than recreational pursuits.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
So what do you ride?
An older Intense Tracer, XTR drivetrain, XTR discs on Mavic 817s, Fox Talus RLC up front, lots of Raceface stuff on it - a nice 25 pound fully active boinger.

Cool bike - I had a really cool Rocky Mountain full suspension that I backed over one day after a ride - hence the Tracer.

One last word - you are going to have issues with people throught your life - if you throw in the towel every time you get screwed or mistreated you will be living in a shack in the hills of North Carolina by yourself making letter bombs pretty quick as you won't be able to socialize with anyone.

You need to get over it.

Also - your comment to Robert was unncessary - Robert will spend his hard earned money on whatever he wants and use it how much ever he wants and frankly it's no business of yours. Sometimes we get into hobbies and then our lives change leaving us less time then we had.

Think about other people a little - it will go a long way.

later,

Jeff
Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I see you?re really up on the recent lift ticket prices
I was comped for 1 day on my recent trip to UT and for the others, I purchased discount passes averaging $42 each. Skiing is not cheap either.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

Also - your comment to Robert was unncessary - Robert will spend his hard earned money on whatever he wants and use it how much ever he wants and frankly it's no business of yours. Sometimes we get into hobbies and then our lives change leaving us less time then we had.

Think about other people a little - it will go a long way.

later,

Jeff
Jeff I really don't understand this comment. I agree this is a free country and he can do what ever he pleases. Retiring by 55 sounds like a cool thing to do. But I would rather enjoy the ride to 55 and work longer buts that?s me but there is nothing wrong with Roberts goals for himself I'm not planing on living to an old age so I figure I should enjoy things while I am still a little younger. I in no way was tring to rip on Robert he has been one of the best people I have delt with on the internet jeep sites.

Anything Intense is great. I met a person at Snowshoe Mountain in WV a few years ago that raced for the Intense downhill team. I have always like the Intense tracer I was looking at buying one when I bought my Jeep IMO it is one of the best trail bikes ever made.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I was comped for 1 day on my recent trip to UT and for the others, I purchased discount passes averaging $42 each. Skiing is not cheap either.
Season pass, Winter Park Colorado $225.

For me, skiing is relatively cheap. That's a good thing, since many of our trails get blocked by snow most of the year.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

One last word - you are going to have issues with people throught your life - if you throw in the towel every time you get screwed or mistreated you will be living in a shack in the hills of North Carolina by yourself making letter bombs pretty quick as you won't be able to socialize with anyone.

You need to get over it.

later,

Jeff
I agree. So one of the reasons I'm changing back to my roots is that I don't have to buy used parts. I can afford a couple new XTR shifters and a suspension fork and a new frame a year and I don't have to buy used stuff jeeps are more expensive then bikes. If a manufacture sells me some bad stuff I have a better chance dealing with them then I do dealing with some Jerk that stuck me with a 3rd that?s suppose to have lockers and only is welded. I can control what I get with new parts much easier then used parts. People are People I agree but it just happens that in the 2 years I have been in off roading I have ran into a much higher percentage of jerks then what I ever had before in any sport who knows maybe it?s just bad luck.

Whats wrong with living in a shack in NC thats what I was planning to do in a couple of years
Old 02-24-2004, 12:03 PM

I will qualify my skiing comment by saying that its not cheap for denizens' of LA. I know season passes can be had for cheap but 1, that is not the case for our local mtns and 2, travel costs add up if you do not want to ski here locally which I do not, other than 1 local area that needs a heavy storm track to open. The harsh nature of the terrain there, lack of amenities and snowmaking does wonders for keeping the idiots out - they have 4' of base up there right now with another storm tomorrow- I'll be there on Friday with my fatties on

Tracy, no worries on the comments - I could care less what folks say/think about me, my priorities or my rig.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

Tracy, no worries on the comments - I could care less what folks say/think about me, my priorities or my rig.
I quess it's not your fault if your thinking is wrong
Old 02-24-2004, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I quess it's not your fault if your thinking is wrong
Maybe but then its all mine and nobody elses.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:41 PM

what ever happened to just doing something b/c you liked it? why not take the high road for once and just have fun for the sake of having fun and not worry about what others think? if you're going to "say goodbye" to the jeeping and 4x4 communities, have a legitimate reason. keeping up with the jones' is only a problem if YOU allow it to be. that's my $0.02.

jake
Old 02-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Banned for being bad

I have a $3000 garage ornament now that I hardly ride due to time - which is sad

What size and can we work out a payment plain
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
I have a $3000 garage ornament now that I hardly ride due to time - which is sad

What size and can we work out a payment plain
are you ever going to learn how to quote anyone?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:08 PM

Let me do my thing by adding something that's already been said more than once. That, or exposing myself for my past stupidity. I've quit more than once publicly on a Jeep board. Really, what I was doing was reacting to my own situation, and crying "oh poor me". Really, I was whining. Whining sucks. Why my friends and general population tolerated it, I don't know. But I'm glad some stuck through. Many people have entertained my emails with my laundry list of problems and helped. I now want to apologize to the silent group that stuck through that.

Sean Higgins, Higlet as he's known here, is my good friend. And was one of my best jeep partners. We've covered many miles, saved our necks (more often my neck) many times. Many campfires.. A roll, busted parts. Alot. One day, I got an email; he quit. No whining, no moaning, just a note, saying he was done. He looked at his situation, considered his options, and made a decision. Then, he moved on. He posted his jeep for sale. No long winded goodbyes, no BS about who sucks, or what sucks. Just, done. I'm ****ed about it. No one wants to loose a jeep friend. But, he moved on. That simple.

Take an example for that. If your done, sell it, move on. If your not, suck it up, fix it, and stomach the difficulties.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
are you ever going to learn how to quote anyone?
Like im the one with the issues here
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mainejeeper
OK, i'm a brand new member to this community, have only owned a jeep for about a week. (restoring a 1972 cj5) i'm not trying to get any attention or anything i just want to give an unbias opinion of this thread. so here it goes, and i hope i dont offend anyone.

02' I understand what your saying, i've been offroading a few time with some friends up here and i do see a lot of trash, mostly beer cans and bottles, and i do see the idiots destroying the few places still open to 4x4's, but it does seem like your trying to get attention, you could have left after the first or second "good-bye" posts, but you instead decided to drag it, into a "everyones against me" scene. let it go, get on with your life, and let others enjoy theirs.

BUT the bulgarity of some of the responses to 02's posts were nothing short of discouraging to a new-comer to the sport, and i hope i never encounter that on the trails and roads, so he decided he doesn't want to ride anymore, big deal say your goodbyes, be polite, and rip into him when he has stoped coming to the forum.

and lastly hardtails are always going to rule over full suspension, i dont care how much they cost, or how many reviews it gets, on the fun to costs ratio hardtails will always prevail

Nick.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:18 PM

Tracey

I can appreciate your frustrations.

But, take a step back and take a look at the big picture and take a deep breath.
I am now 48 years old. I have skied in the Alps, I used to race downhill in NORBA races on the East coast(have a couple of broken collar bone X-rays to prove it). Hunter Mtn, and Mt Snow VT to name a couple. I was one of the oldest in the East coast circuit. I should have entered the ?Master? classes but instead entered with the 20 year olds. Missy G once commented that she never saw anybody dye their hair gray. I responded by saying ?I have less holes in my body? I received some perks from Pro-Flex before they were part of the K2 family as they wanted a Marketing approach to the baby-boomers.
I was invited to participate in the X-Games in its beginning years. But it was not about the trophy or the TV coverage. It was about life and what makes it fun. I like to go fast and cannot afford a Porsche.

I now own several Jeeps. Not because they are cool, rather they can take my family and me to places that cannot be reached with a ?car?. We take our two dogs, two kids, and camping gear and get lost in really cool places. I am not brand conscious (lying) but anything that take us there is cool. We have taken bike vacations, surfing vacations and walking vacations. I don?t have the most trail worthy Jeep(s), but it ?gets me there?. If I encounter problems with performance, I ?upgrade? to meet future expectations.

So what, Sami folks have stood you up, Jeep folks will also (just a matter of time). The operative word here is folks. Unfortunately the earth is covered with them. Some good, some bad. People are good for the most part (look at the members here) but be aware, there are bad apples no matter where you travel These apples do not represent the general population of the hobby or the ?group? as a whole.

So in summary, what makes you and you family (pooches included) happy? Where are you the happiest? Concentrate on those points and you will get there.

BTW; I have old school XTR stuff, 21 speeds is enough. Rapid fire is for those who can't multi-task
Old 02-24-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mainejeeper
BUT the bulgarity of some of the responses to 02's posts were nothing short of discouraging to a new-comer to the sport, and i hope i never encounter that on the trails and roads, so he decided he doesn't want to ride anymore, big deal say your goodbyes, be polite, and rip into him when he has stoped coming to the forum.

and lastly hardtails are always going to rule over full suspension, i dont care how much they cost, or how many reviews it gets, on the fun to costs ratio hardtails will always prevail

Nick.
Nick - Hi - welcome.

There is a history with Tracy with a few of us on this board and mostly JU. Tracy has been nothing short of rude to several members in the past. He was still welcomed here, and we have all moved on and put it behind us. That may account for some of our responses.

You'll never meet a nicer bunch on the trail then the group assembled here - every one I've had the fortune of meeting has been a great person.

And lastly - hardtails suck - you are an elitist!!! My back will no tolerate a hardtail going down - and I can lock out my rear shock to simulate a hardtail going up - so there

Jeff
Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 PM

So Tracy is the person on JU who was whining about how Jeeps suck and Xterras are where it's at?

So, Tracy, you haven't summoned the nerve to take a Sawz-All to your Xterra yet?

Mike S.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi there,

Yes, FS's have their advantages but you cant beat a hardtail's rugged durability and the price is excelent. Come up to Maine sometime and I'll show you a good time on the old logging roads and great MTB trails.

Nick
Old 02-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Tracy,

I have a $3000 garage ornament now that I hardly ride due to time

Jeff
What size and will you take payments

Posted again do to poor quote skills

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
What size and will you take payments

Posted again do to poor quote skills
Medium (read - too small for your fat a$$) - and no - I'm keeping it.

: D

Jeff
Old 02-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Man so many new jeeps, not a big fan of some of the newer jeeps, love the cj class and am still considering restoring an old 50's jeep truck.....but time and money are short so i'll stick with the cj5 project

Nick