Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

New garage tool (plasma cutter)

With the projects friends and I sometimes do while working in my garage, I often find myself wishing I had a cutting torch, or a plasma cutter for various jobs. I had borrowed friends' plasma cutters before & they have always made quick work of projects. I have used them before as well at friends' houses/shops so I knew how handy they were to have around, but I still don't know much about them.

Anyway, after doing a few months of interweb research & shopping around on various websites, cyberweld, craigslist, ebay, talking with friends who use them to make a living etc, I found a nice machine locally at a reasonable price that should be able to do pretty much any job I come across. It's a Miller Spectrum 625.

Later today, I'll be using it for the first time as I'm in the process of designing & building a new truss for my YJ. I made a cardboard template and have traced that shape out on some flat plate steel. More to follow on that - later.....

If anybody has some tips to share, this newbie would be more than happy to hear about them.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
If anybody has some tips to share, this newbie would be more than happy to hear about them.
Measure twice, cut once
Old 06-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

will that cutter let you touch the tip to the steel? if not, you are going to find it a real pain in the ass to use.
i hope it is one you enjoy working with.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Yep, no problem in that area whatsoever.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yep, no problem in that area whatsoever.
good, i'm glad to hear that.

i know the one i bought from blaine does also allow you to touch the tip to the steel without grounding out. the one he bought to replace that one didnt, and was a lot less fun to use.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Looks just like my Hobart Plasma cutter. I would order extra cups and stuff right away. Nothing like being in a middle of a job and need parts. They can be tough to find unless you have a good welding supplier near by. I know this little hardware store in N AZ that carries the parts.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Joe,

I've been using that same unit here in the shop for 4 plus years without an issue. Only things we've done is change the tips however millions of times. I also have a spektrum 375 that has been great too. You will love that machine, we've done up to 1/2 with a pretty decent cut!

With the drag shield tip you have, as long as you have a steady hand, you can drag right on the material. We use a lot of templates here that are 1/8" thick to ride against. A few templates, strait, holes, curves, and you can make all kinds of neat stuff.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350