Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-27-2004, 10:19 PM

Red face this question would have been perfect in "Mechanically Inept"

short version: where can I get my tires balanced without a hassle?

long version: About 8 months ago, I bought my 33" MT/R's from TireRack.com for a great price and had them mounted & balanced at Costco for $9 per tire. They said that would include lifetime balancing & rotation. I went in tonight to have them balanced (been getting a slight vibration at about 65-70 MPH on the freeway) and would like to eliminate out-of-balance tires as the culprit. The tire jockey told me that they wouldn't be able to balance them due to "excessive sidewall damage". Now, I did have the tires mounted RWL (white letters-here come the flames ) out, and some of the black rubber has scraped off, exposing spots of the underlying white rubber. Looks worse than it is, right? In jest, I told the guy that I have a problem with hitting curbs while parallel parking, but he'd hear none of it. Then he tried to sell me new tires, saying that my tires could blow out due to the damage I'm pretty sure that enough of the rubber and some spots where the rims have been nicked are what's throwing the balance off. Where can I get my tires balanced that deals with tires in this condition? (cosmetically, not that great to look at but structurally sound)

thanks-
Chuck

p.s.: almost forgot- I'm in the South Bay area (Redondo Beach, to be exact). Here's to hoping that 4WheelParts isn't the only game in town
Old 01-28-2004, 01:24 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Hey Chuck... I can't really answer your question, not sure what's in that area. But... after an install of my BL, I'll be getting new tires. Probably about a month from now, maybe a bit more. If you can hang on until then I'll have the tires you need. About 12k miles on 'em.

(edit) darn... this is my 666th post... I kinda wanted it to be evil in some way. it's not. (/edit)
Old 01-28-2004, 05:20 AM

Lightbulb

Bring it by my shop, I've balanced tires for a few of the local guys and nobody has said anything.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Go to the America's tire on Western (Rancho Palos Verdes/ San Pedro) and find a guy there named Matt. He's a wheeler (Toyota Tacoma with a solid axle swap) that I helped get home from JV a couple of years ago when his ring and pinion ate itself.
He'll be a lot more understanding then the average tire guy.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 AM

john, thanks, i'll try america's tire (they've always been quite helpful in the past)

alex, i'd go to your shop, but that's a bit of a drive
Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Chuck,

I have access to a machine. I do mine all the time. I'm only 3 hours from you????
Old 01-28-2004, 09:17 AM

America's Tire isn't necessarily the cure either.

I have a lifetime balance and rotation contract with them for my 35's and the last time in they tried to tell me that sidewall damage prevented them from working on my rig. I told them they could either honor the contract or give me my $85 back - they balanced the tires.

Seems that lately, I have also been getting aggravation from them bitching about my beadlocks - as if they have anything to do with the actual process of dismounting, balancing, and re--mounting them

I think its a scam to get stupid people to kick down for new but un-needed tires and that really p!sses me off.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
America's Tire isn't necessarily the cure either.

That's why I specified a store, and person to see there.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:12 AM

Eh, those guys move around all the time. I went to my America's Tire specifically on somebodys recommendation as the manager there ran beadlocks on his Toy and would help me out - he's long gone.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

The "worst" treatment I got from America's Tire Co. was when I brought an almost brand new tire in for a patch and re-balance that had a single plug in the tread from a nail. They said that they couldn't work on it because the integrity of the tire was comprimised and that they would give me a new one under my warranty for the $32 out the door. This was at the RPV America's Tire on Western BTW.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:57 AM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
Americas Tire has been good to me. I've taken several tires back and never once had a problem. This is a two different locations.
AIM: Dukes69
Old 01-29-2004, 06:29 PM

thanks folks, I went to the America's Tire in RPV and was done in 45 minutes. one tire needed 8 ounces to balance

thanks again-
Chuck