Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Administrator

What I learned in JV this weekend

This was a weekend of firsts.

17,400 MP winch ropes can break. They do not snap when they do. I would have no problem standing next to one when it breaks.

If you do break one, you can tie a knot in it to get your self back into winch mode. Fairly sure you can't do that with steel cable.

Nothing is unbreakable.

MT/R's still rule in JV.

Everyone who wheels hard should run a steering box brace of some kind. I will be fabbing one up to compliment my radiator skid.

There is no substitute for driving skill. Most of the time I felt like I had never even been on a trail this past weekend. My driving was sloppy, choice of line was mediocre at best. I almost put my jeep on it's side 3 different times.

Last weekend I spanked Garry on several obstacles and this past one, I couldn't catch him to save my butt. Some days are peanuts and some days are shells. I am still looking for the peanuts.

I need to let my driving skills catch up with my jeep's abilities.

I hate vultures.

Don't get the impression that I didn't enjoy myself, because I did. I had a blast. The company was unbeatable, the rigs worked well, and the trails just keep getting harder and harder. My kind of wheelin'.

Wider is not always better.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.

[This message was edited by mrblaine on April 15, 2002 at 10:50 AM.]
Old 04-15-2002, 10:20 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

How were the Toyota guys? Were things crowded and did they give you guys any grief? I had some trouble with some over-testosteroned, over-drugged Toys on the Rubicon once when we were there the same time they had their Rubithon.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2002, 12:37 PM

Sounds like I missed a good time. Glad you didn't dump your Jeep.

I'll be stoping by this week with your skid - I'll call you to find out what works for you.

Jeff

99 XJ - man is it low right now....
Old 04-15-2002, 01:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
Everyone who wheels hard should run a steering box brace of some kind. I will be fabbing one up to compliment my radiator skid. [/quote]
Note to self. Get steering box brace.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I hate vultures.
[/quote]
Hmmm... What's that about? Squirells in the desert? Is it season?

William "Unless you're William" Karstens
AKA
"I'm not Bill"
Old 04-15-2002, 01:49 PM

William - what do vultures do? The term was coined during our Aftershock run with the VV4Wheelers during Fun in the Desert and it became up to us to get everybody out of there.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 04-15-2002, 02:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
I would have no problem standing next to one when it breaks.

I was standing next to it the first time it broke.
It was absolutely no big deal. The weave of the rope expanded 2 to 3 times the
diameter dissipating the energy and dropped to the ground within 3 feet of where it broke.

If you do break one, you can tie a knot in it to get your self back into winch mode. Fairly sure you can't do that with steel cable.

Nothing is unbreakable.

Bullet-Proof..........Maybe
Unbreakable.........Never

][/quote]

Let me just say you haven't lived till you've survived the hammers....

Thanx to everyone. Once again, what a great group to wheel with........

I concur on the birds.

Bruce

CJ-7

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Banned

This weekend

Even tho I left early on Sunday, I really enjoyed the weekend. Jack has gotten really hard. Still my most favorite trail. Tough on CJs. Not only the spring hangers, but the 300 hangs low. Anyone clocked a T18 or T19 and have pics of how?

Saw that poor Blaine got to do some welding again on Sunday. Not his Jeep tho.

Visited our favorite tire store after work. What an incredible company America's Tire is. Just walk in with a destroyed tire and walk out with a new and they don't even ask. Maybe they figure if they ask, we might tell.

Rich
CJ 7 slightly modified
Old 04-15-2002, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Bruce, glad you made it. Wish you would come out more often. I appreciate yours and everyone else's help very much.

We aren't normally in that much of a hurry. The Toyota Jambo caught us by surprise and we really didn't want to be in their way.

Rich- I don't consider myself poor because of my welding on the trail. I enjoy the whole experience immensely, and just would not trade it. That's why I go out there.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:07 PM
Banned

Winch rope repair

Since the winch rope is braided, I did what I do to my water ski ropes. You just feed it back in the center of the rope, just like they made it. Now I have about a 30 ft extension and about 60 ft on the winch. Probably sufficient for most of our needs. Can't do that with the steel cables.

Rich
CJ 7 slightly modified
Old 04-16-2002, 03:44 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Good morning Blaine,

Quick question on the 17,400# MP rope.

Do you have any indication why it broke? What I mean is, was it worn or rubbing on rock? Or was it just a very heavy pull?

Thanks Pal,

Frank
Old 04-16-2002, 06:46 AM
Reggae

It could be that tests of the new ultrasonic bomb nearby weakened all the ropes. Another thing we broke, was a new, fresh out of the bag yank strap...

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 04-16-2002, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Frank, I did not see the first break. I only saw the second one, but based on how badly stuck Rich was, the pull was very hard.

When I examined the rope in the process of re-tying it to the winch hook, nothing indicated that it should have broken where it did.

UHMWPF ropes indicate wear and use by becoming fuzzy in the wear areas or by melting due to excessive heat.

None of that was present. The rope looked new where it broke.

That was one of the firsts I was speaking of. I suspect a flaw in the rope somehow.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:41 AM

Hi Folks,

I find that sometimes I just can't get positioned to use my winch without the cable rubbing on something like a big rock.

To address this I have built a simple cable protection shield out of PVC Pipe.

It slips over the winch cable and then it is positioned where the rock (or where ever) the winch cable would be rubbing on.

Here's a simple drawing.

I use something like 2.5 inch diameter PVC as it fits and stores nicely in the front frame tube (behind the front bumper) when not in use.

Obviously if you have a Currie AR you would need to store this somewhere else.

There is a curved grove cut through the side wall of the PVC. It is about 1/8 inch wide and allows the winch cable to be pushed through yet prevents the cable from coming out until you want it too.

I have used this countless times and I believe have extended the life of my cable for it.

Perhaps you would find some value it for yourselves.

Frank

PS: If you buy a 12 foot length PVC for $4.00 you could make one for yourself and have 5 extra's to give to friends.

PSS: I don't think this will help with the ultra-sonic bomb problem though!
Old 04-16-2002, 09:18 AM

Frank,
Thanx for the suggestion. A few of us are running chafe guards for industrial hose which are made of kevlar fabric. I bought a 12" length of this at my local hose shop and slipped it over the winch rope. I will probably be going back and getting one that is more along the lines of 2-3' in length so that it works even better. I am also using the same on my ratchet straps for my trailer.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 04-16-2002, 09:55 AM

What I learned this weekend.

That parts may break, fenders will bend, and anything hanging down under the Vehicle will get ground, smashed and broken. It’s the attitude of the people who make it all worthwhile. Jim B. was unflappable. He broke, bent and mangled his Jeep. He didn’t get mad, scream, yell, cuss or otherwise lose his cool. He understood that hey, it’s going to happen. He knows how to drive his Jeep, and I’d have to say that he was very brave.

The Rock God’s are very finicky and we have been blessed. Of the 34 trips that I can remember over those trails our damage has been very minimal, a cut tire, ruined shock and a bent tie rod and a few scraps and dents on the body and fenders.

I learned that when faced with rolling our Jeep, the only words to come out of my mouth were: “Honey, were just going to fall over now!” It took my heart awhile before it finally slowed down to a normal pace.

I learned that the weather in the desert can change drastically from one week to the next, last weekend the wind blew all day and it was rather chilly. This weekend the wind was replaced by a light breeze and it was very hot. We brought our heaters and thermal underwear that stayed in the truck unused. The local Circle K store also ran out of ice because the people in Yucca Valley don’t have a clue about what’s going on at the lakebed. (She told me, I don’t know what’s going on, we sold 50 bags of ice yesterday morning!).

Clean washcloths are worth their weight in gold. We always bring a hand full.

When Garry got stuck on Jack Hammer and we had to pull him backwards, I ran down with the winch cable saying: “Here I come to save the day!” If looks could make a person melt, then I would have been a puddle of water on the trail. When he got stuck again he promptly unstuck himself in a hurry so as not to suffer the embarrassment of me “saving him again”.

Friends are priceless and working together we can accomplish what seems like the impossible.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:01 AM

Blaine,
I had to leave the Jeep at the house in Landers and haul back
a dune buggy on my trailer and a truck load of junk.
(Scott, that was me honking to say 'HI")

So,,,,I'll have to go get it sometime soon.

Some gas, oil, and a can of bondo she'll be ready to go......

I would also like to do a TDS (truck haven) run sometime soon.

Bruce

CJ-7

Old 04-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Frank,
I saw it break and the only thing ,I think it could have been
was a previous 'weakening of the rope.

When it did break it just sort of floated in the air then fell to the ground.
Very impressive in a non spectacular way.

Bruce

CJ-7

Old 04-16-2002, 05:29 PM

Hi Robert,

thanks for the tip on the chafe guard. I'm going to look into that.

Bruce,

Thanks for the first hand account. I have been wanting the MP winch rope for some time, but I think I existing cable has a bit too much live still in it.

Sounds a bit silly wishing for a wear out doesn't it?

Thanks again.

Frank
Old 04-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Frank,

I replaced a perfectly good wire rope for the MP because the extra safety was worth the few hundred bucks. I'd go with the new rope and try to get some bucks back out of your old one. Fortunately, I haven't witnessed any accidents with wire rope on a winch, but some coworkers have told me of some nasty accidents in the logging industry. Apparently, when one of their long cables lets go, you only have a split second to get down or risk decapitation. As for the chafe guard, I got one from MP along with the line.

Jeff