Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Reggae

American Express Platinum

What is the deal with American Express Platinum card? Does anybody have it? Is it worth the $395 annual fee?

I know what features it offers, frankly not that big of a difference from the much less expensive American Express Gold. The annual fee is not worth the features alone, so, obviously there is something else. Is it like a status symbol or something?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

On that note, why should I consider re-taking the AMEX gold card that I ditched years ago due to what was then about a $55/year fee? Every month or so I get something asking me to come back and they'll wave the $90 fee for the first year. FWIW, I still have an AMEX card of some sort but it is more like a credit card and has no fee. Do the benefits outweigh the fees?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Reggae

I like American Express Gold for the ease of handling issues with merchants. It is very simple to file a dispute, and every time I?ve done so it has been painless and resolved to my satisfaction. Visa/MasterCard may be bad in this area, depending on the issuer.

In my opinion, that is the only worthy benefit of American Express, and with new outrageous cash back offers on certain Visa/MC cards, there are not a whole a lot of compelling reasons to go with American Express, from a thrifty consumer point of view.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:58 AM

I have an Amex Platinum but it's only an $85.00 annual fee. Not sure which one has the $395 unless its the Black card with unlimited charging capabilities.

I like the card for the way they handle disputes, I get a free companion ticket for flights each year that does not expire, I use their member services to get tickets to shows etc, and once in a while they actually have decent stuff through their points systems.

Jeeper
Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

FWIW, one of my Mastercards was recently hijacked this past month on a card I rarely use. Two charges for $500 each from QVC showed up. A quick phone call had the card cancelled, a new one issued and a reversal of the charges within a few days. Some banks may be more difficult than others, but the law is truly on the side of the consumers with respect to fraud.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 AM

Cool

Sergey,

I have been a credit card holder for 44 years, back when some of them were still cardboard, not plastic. I have used AMEX cards as a business tool and not just a daily convenience. In the 60's, 70,s and 80's, when I spent most of my time in the orient, it was the only American credit card that was universally accepted in any country. In the 90's I was traveling to Europe three times a month, I upgraded to a AMEX Gold card because they got me the best rate of exchange and when you stay in the UK, Spain, Germany and Italy in one trip, that can be a big thing. At that time, the Gold Card also provided you with a end of year summary of all your expenses by category which is critical if you are a frequent international traveler.

If you are not using your upgraded AMEX card as a business tool, be it gold, platinum or black, it is just an ego trip. The green one will do you just fine for daily use in the States and occasional travel.

Fred
Old 01-28-2006, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeper
I have an Amex Platinum but it's only an $85.00 annual fee. Not sure which one has the $395 unless its the Black card with unlimited charging capabilities.

I like the card for the way they handle disputes, I get a free companion ticket for flights each year that does not expire, I use their member services to get tickets to shows etc, and once in a while they actually have decent stuff through their points systems.

Jeeper
you likely have the Costco Amex Platinum, then...the regular Platinum from AMex is $395 per year.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ABQ TJ
you likely have the Costco Amex Platinum, then...the regular Platinum from AMex is $395 per year.
Ummm...Nope...no Costco card. And I just double checked...$85.00/year.