Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-22-2002, 01:36 PM

Air tank question

The air setup i currently have consists of a Quick Air and an ARB LINKED TOGETHER to run the ARB lockers, with an additional airline running to a quick connect. Running both compressors together i can inflate a 33" MT from 16 to 32psi in 3 minutes, so they have the ability to work pretty good.
However i am wondering a couple of things. I was given a 5 gallon airtank recently and i was thinking of hooking it up to my compressors for extra storage.
1) Would the compressors be ok filling up, and maintaining, a 5 gallon tank? Or would it F them up?
2) Would the work involved be worth it? Would i get enough stored air to make a difference in airing up myself (and others). Obviously i am not even considering running air tools (i know the limitations of 2 small compressors!), so this would JUST be for airing up, lockers, and other light uses.
Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
You'd want to run a pressure switch to turn off the compressors once the tank it full, or put a guage where you can see it and turn it off yourself. Since it'll take so long for that tank to recover I don't know if it'd be worth the effort to put it in the system.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:07 PM

an advantage of a tank with ARBs is if you have it plumbed properly, the tank can run the ARBs for a long time if your compressor fails.

and if you have the right hose and fitting you can mooch air from another rig to pressure up your tank. Do this once, and you should have lockers for an entire weekend or longer.

But, where in the world would you mount a 5 gallon tank?

I've got a 2.5 underneath.

btw, here is a very good link (not mine) on air

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...BoardAir.shtml
Old 08-22-2002, 03:00 PM

but I didn't really answer the questions did I...

1) either compressor should have no problem filling that tank.
2) the tank, IMO will help with the first tire, but after that the tank becomes part of the volume you are filling and IMO slows down the show.

But, a tank is good to help reseat beads with small slow compressors.