Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:33 AM

A Word About Certified Welders.....

"Certified Welder" is a term that often gets tossed around, but few really understand what it actually means.

There are 3 main criteria for American Welding Society certification.

Electrode, position, and thickness.

To certify, a welder must pass the applicable AWS test for each individual criteria.

For example, if a welder is being certified in MIG using L-50 Super Arc MIG wire in .035 diameter in the flat position on thin mild steel, that is what he is certified in. Nothing more, nothing less. Exactly that process.

If he just changes the wire to L-56 Super Arc MIG wire, he is no longer certified unless he has passed the same test with L-56. Even though he's welding on the same steel parts in the same position with a very similar MIG wire.

The same goes for electrode diameter. He can't technically bump the wire diameter up to .045, or down to .030 and remain certified. Unless he's passed the required tests with those wire sizes.

Now there are some blanket certifications that will specifiy all size electrodes within type, and multiple positions, and on multiple thicknesses. So that can help keep the confusion down, streamline certification, and reduce the paper load.

But generally, the AWS is pretty stringent and keeps everything narrowly focused.

As for me, I am certified in 116 different processes give or take a few under AWS D14.3. The 14.3 spec covers the manufacturer of earthmoving and construction equiptment. Spec 14.3 also places a heavy emphasis on workmanship and qualification.

116 different processes may sound like a lot, but there are literally thousands upon thousands of different combinations and thus different weld procedures. So 116 different processes is actually diddly.

I'd encourage anyone to take a course, even if you've been welding for a while. Technology changes, procedures change, everything changes.

I'm seriously considering a TIG course next semester taught by a good friend of mine. Just for a refresher and to get some hood time.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Hey, I learned something today
Old 11-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

And then there are those folks who burn at the nuclear power plants. we are nice to the folks who do it well. We often times require them to do it while standing on their head (yet another one of the many varied positions Allen spoke of!)
Old 11-18-2003, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
And then there are those folks who burn at the nuclear power plants. we are nice to the folks who do it well. We often times require them to do it while standing on their head (yet another one of the many varied positions Allen spoke of!)
You should be even nicer to them and fork out some cash for some orbital TIG welders.....

Orbital TIG is cool.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:16 PM

Re: A Word About Certified Welders.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
" So 116 different processes is actually diddly.

Allen
As I suspected....you do know diddly

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Closed Thread