Go Back   JeepBBS > Marketplace > Jeep Aftermarket Companies
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Aftermarket Companies If you have a jeep related business you can let JeepBBS visitors know about it here. Also this is the section where you can post information about 4 wheel drive shops and companies that sell automotive and jeeping related products

Old 03-17-2002, 12:50 PM

Rud-Chain saved my dumb @ss

I went on a trail ride yesterday that turned into an unexpected snow run... luckily I brought along my virgin tire chains.

http://www.fototime.com/470AAC92D58E26C/standard.jpg

The plan was to run Miller Jeep Trail, but the surprise dusting of snow on the surrounding mountains was too much to pass up. I knew of 3 nearby trails that always have snow on them, and the Forest Service never closes them during the winter. Unfortunately, all 3 of the trails are dead-ends, and you start them from the top. Our group was 5 Jeeps ranging from stock to moderately built and an FJ40 with the group's only winch. We slid down the first trail on a couple of inches of dry, powdery snow to have lunch at the campground at the bottom, then drove back up. Everybody made it without too much trouble, no tow-straps or winch cables were needed. It is now early afternoon and one jeeper and the guy with the FJ40 have to leave. The rest of us newly emboldened snow-wheelers headed over to the next dead-end trail to have a look. This one is steeper, looks more rutted and has a little more snow on it. I start driving down while the smarter ones in the group wait and watch from the top. I crawl down and promptly slide into the rut so I am now "driving" down on my side. The nearest semi-level part is another couple hundered feet down, so I continue down until I can turn around. I make my way back up, I can only get 50 feet or so, then start spinning all 4 siped Geolander M/T's. It was so slippery that I would try to stop and the jeep would slide back until one of the tires would come to rest against a rock. I made several attempts to drive back up, trying different lines, sawing the wheel wheel back-n-forth, crawling it, flooring it, I was most definately not making any progress.

I have never used tire chains on a snow-covered 4x4 trail before, but I had my brand new Rud chains along, so I put them on. They went on the rear tires really easily, despite the steep angle that my jeep was parked at and the rock that was against my right rear tire. I attempted to drive up again, and to my surprise and delight, the tires didn't slip at all! I just crawled right up in one smooth pass, just as if the trail were dry.

http://www.fototime.com/8B2A4F6F8DE51FF/standard.jpg

Then chains did a lot less damage to the trail then I did by uselessly spinning my tires. They were also easy to install and remove in adverse conditions. I felt like a sucker when I plunked down the $166 for one pair of chains, but now I don't feel so bad. So I guess the moral of this story is to carry good chains for those times when bad judgement wins.

97 2-door 5-speed XJ
"Yes, tow hooks are required!
Trail Crew SoCal 4x4 Club
Old 03-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Banned

I just got back from a snow run, about 15 minutes ago. They can be a lot of fun because what would otherwise be a forest service road with some ruts can turn into a tobogan run where you're at the mercy of gravity. I've heard a lot of people bag on chains because they tear up stuff, but like you, I've found I can reduce wheel spin considerably and not have to tear up the ground underneath the snow by spinning tires. Snow runs can be a blast.

What I continue to find fun is how the condition of snow can change the run, from wet fresh snow to hard pack to frozen and re-frozen crusty stuff. You have to change your driving style dependent on how long the stuff's been on the ground. We sure had a lot of fun today

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 03-20-2002, 02:48 AM

Those are some nice Chains. Where did you pic them up at ? I just sold my set for my old 31's.. and need some new ones for my 33's

Jim

6.5'' lifted Bus http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/bravo.gif

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 03-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Banned

NorCalJR, Costco sells some decent chains. They have a similar pattern to the Rud chains, but quite a bit less $. They probably aren't as large a link or something, but they work pretty well. They are made by SCC, and are the Whitestar model. Costco sells the 1500-series and 1700-series. I once e-mailed SCC about the difference, as it appeared the 1500-series was for cars and the 1700-series was for trucks. Their response was that the 1700-series uses a larger link, is stronger, and offers better grip than the 1500-series, but some of the applications (tire sizes) overlap.

I have the 1707 for when I had 31x10.5.15 and now 33x10.5x15 tires, and 1705 for 235/75/15. SCC can be found here:
http://www.scc-chain.com

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 03-21-2002, 05:19 AM

RUD-Chain. They are in Iowa and do mail order.

97 2-door 5-speed XJ
"Yes, tow hooks are required!
Trail Crew SoCal 4x4 Club