Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 AM

Don't purchase parts from autopartonline.com

I'm very upset with AUTOPARTSONLINE.COM (a.k.a USAUTOPARTS.COM) I ordered parts from http://www.autobodypartsonline.com on line last Tuesday for my '97 Wrangler. The total price of the order was $894. I also found comparable prices at www.4wd.com, however, I decided to do business with AUTOPARTSONLINE. However, I recieved a call last night from a gentleman in sales, who told me that the website forgot to calculate in the shipping charges in the order, and that they want me to send them an additional $150 for shipping. I check my checking account and notice that autobodypartsonline have already taken the $894 out of my account two days ago. I told them since they have already charged my account then they have agreed to the $894 price. In addition, I could have purchased the same part for less that $1044 that autopartsonline now want to charge me. Therefore, I?m not sending them any more money. Now the sales person tells me that I will not receive my shipment of parts untill I send thm $150. I will NEVER do business with autopartsonline again, EVER!

Update: Customer service has just notified me that they are out of stock on the parts I?ve ordered and said they will reimburse my money ASAP.

Andrew
Member of the San Diego Rough Riders
Old 10-18-2002, 12:26 PM

Seems to me that the correct title to this email is:
How I got upset at a company for making a mistake while doing business.

I don't see where they did ANYTHING wrong. You bought something thru a website and it made a mistake. They called you up to correct the mistake and you threw a fit. Then, when you refused to pay the shipping, they kindly explained that they were very sorry, but they cannot ship the parts until the bill is paid.

Boo Freakin' Hoo. I'm so tired of folks getting on the internet and SLAMMING companies for making an occasional mistake doing business. They're not in business to give stuff away. They're in business to make money... why should they take a loss due to a technical snafu.

Whine elsewhere.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:35 PM

Many companies do not charge shipping right now, for example: ThinkJeep, Apple Computer, Camera World. It is their way of doing business. I simply could have found a lower price a 4WD.com if I knew of there bate and switch tack ticks. Also, the fact that they suddenly have no part in stock and reimburse my money is too convent.

Andrew
Old 10-18-2002, 12:43 PM

Bait and Switch? Not a chance. As a consumer, you have the right to shop where you wish, and say what you wish about the places at which you shop. But as a retailer, you certainly can't bad mouth a customer, now can you?

So you took a public forum, with the potential of reaching world wide, to bad mouth a business that did nothing wrong, other than make a minor clerical error, which they attempted in fixing honorably. They COULD have just charged your card and not mentioned it at all.

As near as I can see, the only irresponsibility here is on your part for slandering a business for responsible business practices. I don't blame them one bit for refunding your money, if they did indeed do it intentionally.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:14 PM

What do you know about what really went on? You were not on the phone and had to listen to the comment that the sale person made to my wife and me. The jerk was implying that my parts would sit on the shipping dock unless I send him $150. That's what ****ed me off. That is why I refused to pay them one more dime.

Andrew
Old 10-18-2002, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_TJ
What do you know about what really went on? You were not on the phone and had to listen to the comment that the sale person made to my wife and me. The jerk was implying that my parts would sit on the shipping dock unless I send him $150. That's what ****ed me off. That is why I refused to pay them one more dime.

Andrew
Ummm...Re-read your original post. (slowly)

Jeeper
Old 10-18-2002, 02:21 PM

What to expain? They had my money and but they would not ship the parts? Therefore, I had nothing. Only when I contacted the customer service then they cliamed that they were out of stock and refunded my money.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:56 PM

Quote:
What to expain? They had my money and but they would not ship the parts? Therefore, I had nothing. Only when I contacted the customer service then they cliamed that they were out of stock and refunded my money.
Not quite what I read.

Quote:
I recieved a call last night from a gentleman in sales, who told me that the website forgot to calculate in the shipping charges in the order, and that they want me to send them an additional $150 for shipping. I check my checking account and notice that autobodypartsonline have already taken the $894 out of my account two days ago.
They contacted you to tell you they made a mistake...at least that's what I'm reading in your original post. Then you decided to say that you were not going to pay the shipping and that since they charged you for the $894.00, they owe you the parts and that you would not send them the additonal money for shipping.

You also told them that you could buy it elswhere for less.

You should have, and probably have to now.

Had I been in their shoes, I would have done the same thing...although I would have said "Fine, please purchase it from someone else because I cannot ship this to you for freee. I will promptly refund your purchase price and sorry for the inconvenience"

Now, let us know what you pay from the other guys and when you get it.

Jeeper
Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 PM
Reggae

How is doing business on the Internet different from doing business in person? If you got the web site, it does not give you right to lure customers in with low prices, and then request more money, after the purchase has been made because it's the "web site error". Whose freaking web site is it, Andrews?s?

Also, it is wrong to charge the customer when you don't even have the product available, unless that is what was agreed on, upfront.

Judging by Andrew's story, I think the Autopartonline has done him wrong.

If they are in business of making money by ripping customers off, I am not doing business with that company.

Jeeper, and Seth, what the hell are you, friends with Autopartonline? You know about the story something we don't?
Old 10-19-2002, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
How is doing business on the Internet different from doing business in person? If you got the web site, it does not give you right to lure customers in with low prices, and then request more money, after the purchase has been made because it's the "web site error". Whose freaking web site is it, Andrews?s?

Also, it is wrong to charge the customer when you don't even have the product available, unless that is what was agreed on, upfront.

Judging by Andrew's story, I think the Autopartonline has done him wrong.

If they are in business of making money by ripping customers off, I am not doing business with that company.

Jeeper, and Seth, what the hell are you, friends with Autopartonline? You know about the story something we don't?
Nope, not a friend of Autopartsonline. Just happen to be in sales and things like that happen. The Salesman called him up and informed him of the issue and he stated that it doesn't matter, he wants his parts. This is probably the part of the story that we're not quite getting all the facts.

Most companies/salesmen when making a mistake, will work with a customer to make things right but not for a loss. If I explained to a customer that we made a mistake and that the shipping would be X ammount and they berrated me, I'd probably tell them we were out of stock now too.

Jeeper
Old 10-19-2002, 10:21 AM

I deleted an earlier post I made on this subject as I also thought the vendor was unfair. I asked my wife what she thought of the situation. Being a woman and naturally smarter than me, she checked out the site to see what they say about shipping at the check out counter.
"SHIPPING AND TAXES EXCLUDED FROM PRICE"
They sell body parts and I imagine it would be hard for the computer to figure shipping. If it were me, I would have called in my order. I would imagine they took the money to lock up the parts, subject to collecting for the shipping.
You have to read the BIG PRINT when doing mail order!
Ron
Old 10-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Reggae

Smile

All right. You win. Everybody, go and buy something from Autopartsonline. They are a wonderful store, and a pleasure to do business with.

Who needs Bob Supplee, when stores like Autopartsonline are around...
Old 10-19-2002, 01:18 PM

Wow! Thanks for the link. Their price on a TJ hood is the cheapest I've found yet. I'll make sure I know the shipping costs up front.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Gutwrench
Wow! Thanks for the link. Their price on a TJ hood is the cheapest I've found yet. I'll make sure I know the shipping costs up front.
LOL, that puts it all in perspective - one mans' problem is another mans' solution.

I guess the only problem I have (if they actually stated in the close out section that S&H was not included) was them charging his credit card even though they were out of stock. I believe that is against the law in most states.

Frankly, I don't do busioness over the net anymroe anyways. 1st its to easy to get hung up in this kind of stuff and 2nd, I am pretty sure my bank account problems from last year were related to someone not having enough security on their website.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:46 AM

Most places I know of do NOT charge your credit card until the parts have shipped.

The fact that they charged his card means that they accepted the terms of the transaction (contract). Legally, Andrew could go to court and demand the parts at that price since the company charged "0" for shipping on the original invoice. Mind you, it's not worth the hassle to do that, but it proves a point why people don't charge credit cards until the product ships.

Anyway, when push came to shove, and Andrew mentioned that they are legally obligated to ship the parts, they called back and said "Oh, I'm sorry. These parts are no longer in stock and I don't know WHEN we will have them."

James