Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-16-2003, 06:07 AM

? about enclosed trailers

I'm thinking about up-grading my Jeep trailer to a enclosed unit that has living quarters in the front portion. What brand do you prefer, and what features/options are recommended.

Does anyone know of any good used units available (bumper pull)?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Re: ? about enclosed trailers

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisO
I'm thinking about up-grading my Jeep trailer to a enclosed unit that has living quarters in the front portion. What brand do you prefer, and what features/options are recommended.

Got tow rig?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Bumper pull? The ones I have seen like that are 5th wheel.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Hey Chris, most of the guys out here that I run with that used these trailers, sold them! The problem is unless you go with the very bare mimimun living quarters, most of the trailers are 28 to 30 feet long (to get a Jeep in the back) and weigh upwards of 12,000 to 14,000 loaded It takes a custom trailer usaully to get a lifted Jeep in there. Locally, we have several custom builders, you could get a short as 26', but they are still heavy and once the jeep is in there are very rear heavy and don't tow worth a darn. If you decide toy hauler for the Jeep, you would be time and money ahead to go with a fifth wheel trailer. At that point I hope you have a 1 ton diesel minimum to pull! One friend in particular sold his set up to buy a motor home and smaller enclosed trailer instead. Another friend sold his bumper pull and went with fifth wheel toy box, but still needed a 30' plus trailer to get it all in.

I gave up on the toy box a long time ago, my 1 ton Ford didn't have the right stuff to tow the weight of the toy box with Jeep in it. So I went with a camper on the truck, flat bed trailer for the Jeep. I'm close to my limit, but still within legal and safe limits. Next year I'm selling the camper and buying a motorhome, and I'll keep the flat bed trailer!

If you do decide to go enclosed, you can buy a beefed up Weekend Warrior for a jeep, but they are tough to tow with the Jeep in there and 30' long. Santek makes custom trailers with living quarters, and the is another local builder, I think they are caller Garret Custom trailers. One other thing to keep in mind, if you do any remote camping a 30' toy box is tough to get out into the hills or dirt. My camper on my Ford is small, but I can get out to most trail heads to camp no problem.

I looked and looked to go this route and gave up.

Good Luck!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 10-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
My problem is that there isn't a door high enough to fit the scrambler and it would have to be the 40' model. And if your jeep is dirty so will be your living quarters.
Kory
Old 10-16-2003, 12:11 PM

I have a one ton Dodge, dually, 4.10's, auto, Cummins diesel. The reason I was thinking about bumper pull is I can leave the topper on the truck and have all that storage area for "stuff".

I appreciate the fact that 5th wheel is better, and have not ruled that out.

I have a slide in camper now, with a flat bed trailer for the Jeep. I'm not totally un-happy with the current set-up. It is just a PITA to deal with the camper on and off the truck. The truck is my daily driver and I'm always having to load/unload the camper, even between weekends of Jeepin'. Lots of time spend dealing with all the above.

Lots of good input here, that I haven't thought of, keep it comming. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

What about a hoist system to remove the camper top? Similar to what people do for TJ tops. It would only need to get a few inches up before you could drive out from under it.....wouldn't it? I know nothing about the "slide in capmer tops".
Old 10-16-2003, 12:39 PM
Reggae

The hoist system is good only as long as you have something to hook it up to.

Give me a pivot point and I'll turn the Earth upside down.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The truck is my daily driver

have you considered a used honda civic to commute in?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:18 PM

Sorry guys, I mis-communicated. I have a 12 foot, big-heavy fully self-contained camper, and a small fiberglass topper (Leer brand).

I use the big camper for Jeep trips, hunting, camping, non-jeep camping with family, etc.

I like the light topper for driving around town and short trips to the big city, to keep items safe from weather and out of sight. I do have a hoist for the topper. I also really like having the light topper on the truck, for Jeep trips because I can keep all Jeep related stuff in the back of the truck, instead of on the flat-bed trailer.

The slide in camper is just too big. With all the hang-over, the hitch set-up is a PITA. Plus, if I want to use the truck for a drive around rig when I get to where I'm going, I have to un-load the camper, or loose my spot!

I thought a "Toy Box" would be handy because I could leave the light topper on the truck year-round, and just latch on to the Toy Box when I wanted to go Jeepin'. Plus, I'd have a "garage" for the Jeep, when parked here at the house, out of the weather ("feet" of snow), and safe from theft when on the road.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:54 PM

Could you have one built that the front of the trailer is enclosed for living, but the back half is an open platform for the Jeep? This would be a little lighter and you don't have to worry about door height for the Jeep. Not sure if these exist, but seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

Chris
Old 10-16-2003, 02:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Get a open fifth wheel trailer and put your slide in at the front of it. Make sure it's long enough for the Jeep too, and then leave it that way.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:38 PM

Chris,
Go to google and type "enclosed auto trailer".

Here's the first hit:

http://www.trailerranch.net/auto.html
Old 10-24-2003, 12:18 PM

Go Here:

http://www.autoracingtrader.com/car_...s_trailers.htm

I especially like this one:

Quote:
2001 KWT Motor Home & Car Hauler, 500hp, Detroit 12.7 w/ 3 Stage Jake Brake, 10spd. Over-Drive Road Ranger Trans. 3:21 Gear Ratio = 10 Mpg. Geared Tall With Plenty Of Power To Handle It. 34' Box (Wabco-Pacific, None Better) 22' Garage (Deluxe) With Hardwood Floor & White Aluminum Walls. 9,000 lbs. Warn Winch, Never Used. 8' Ceiling Lights, Solid Wood Doors In Living Area Which Is 12' Long. All 34' Fully Insulated. Norcold Double-Door Fridge, Amana Microwave, Coleman Roof, Top A/C Unit 13,500 BTU w/Heat Strip, Toilet Seperate From 34' Full Size Shower In Bathroom w/ Solid Wood Door. 19" Zenith Color TV w/Separate VCR. All Of These Items Are Brand New, Never Been Used. 5,500 Watt Kubota Diesel Water Cooled Gen. Air-Ride, Alum. Wheels w/ 11x22.5 Michelen Tires. Dual Highback Air Seats, P/S, A/C, P/M, Deluxe Interior. Additional A/C & Heat Unit Under Cabinets For Living Area, Sleeps 4. $120,000 obo
Old 10-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer

Do you ned a CDL to drive something like that. I've been wondering now for a while.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 PM

From the discussions I've heard, generally anything over 10K in trailer weight requires a CDL.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Banned

Here is what a guy in my Desert Racing club did. He bought the tractor, removed one axle (so now it is just a truck), built an attachment for his fifth wheel and a slide out ramp system. He has even talked about possibly enclosing the area around the Jeep. He bought the tractor for about $13K as a lease return with about 500K miles. Pretty neat rig and not a lot of investment. Just an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: gif jeff rig.gif (85.8 KB, 1110 views)
Old 10-24-2003, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eurobob
From the discussions I've heard, generally anything over 10K in trailer weight requires a CDL.
Nope
Old 10-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
Nope
It's definately required in California. Most other states are similar.

I haven't found a link that shows all states, but in my search, I found that Ohio, Oregon, Michigan and Louisiana have the same requirement.

This is was I have typically found:

1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eurobob
It's definately required in California. Most other states are similar.

I haven't found a link that shows all states, but in my search, I found that Ohio, Oregon, Michigan and Louisiana have the same requirement.

This is was I have typically found:

1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.
The issue is > 26K GCWR, not 10K trailer weight. That's why an F-550 is limited to 26K - target market - once you cross the boundary it's a different consumer.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
The issue is > 26K GCWR, not 10K trailer weight. That's why an F-550 is limited to 26K - target market - once you cross the boundary it's a different consumer.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

They list both a CDL and non CDL, but both list those licences as being "able" to tow a trailer/vehicle over 10K. (I think the above is a poorly worded link.)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/sec1_a.htm#who

Lists requirements for getting a CDL in Cali.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/sec1_a.htm#cdl

Exemptions for CDL in Cali.

The 26K limit comes from the 1986 federal law. The 10K limit is a state addon. It used to be 6k in Cali.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:56 PM

Thanks for all the input. I'm still considering all options. I've been doing some searching and gathering lots of info. I'm not in a hurry, and I'm done camping out for the season.

Chris O