Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-13-2001, 07:42 AM

Yet another M-P related question.

There is a post on JU (http://forums.jeepsunlimited.com/ubb...ML/005544.html) about a fairlead designed for synthetic winch rope. The link to the part is here.

This raises several questions:

1) My roller fairlead has a fair amount of use on it. The surface of the side rollers has become scarred and rough. Will this cause damage to the new rope?

2) Is this new fairlead a gimmick or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, or is it a good candidate for a place on the front of my Warn? Obviously I'm looking for opinions as this is a new product and I doubt anyone has it yet.

As always input is appreciated. My major worry is with my existing rollers. IF they need to be cleaned up I'll have to disassemble the fairlead and start deburring and polishing.

There is no bolt on kit called driver skill. If you want it, you have to actually go out and drive...offroad.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:14 AM

I can't link to the page with the part from work as the page is blocked so I can't comment on that. I can comment on wear though. I am running a hause fairlead and the Masterpull with no real problems. It does not seem to be overly contributing to the wear of the rope so I would think that having abraded rollers wouldn't be that big of a deal. All that being said, if you want to drop the bucks on a new roller, go for it. I keep going back and forth on that myself.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 12-13-2001, 08:28 AM

I'm pretty certain that this is a nice to have, not a need to have.

I spent much of my high school and college life dangling from kernmantle rope not too far removed from the masterpull type line. It got dragged all over the USA and never showed more than a little fuzzing.

If your fairlead is nasty, just hit it with the grinder using a flapper wheel.

Seth

Humpty Dumpty
Old 12-13-2001, 05:46 PM

Still looking for some opinions here. Facts may be hard to come by, but opinions are fine in this matter.

There is no bolt on kit called driver skill. If you want it, you have to actually go out and drive...offroad.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:05 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Okay, if you're looking for an opinion here's mine. While the aluminum hawse may look shiny and nice, I'd stick to the roller fairlead. You already own it! If it's a bit chewed up you can easily remove the clips, take out the rollers and smooth it out up against a wheel. However, if you have an extra $57 bucks burning a hole in your pocket at least it'd look cool and unique.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2001, 08:31 AM
Administrator

I answered this yesterday and I don't see my reply.

The rollers should be just fine if they are in any reasonable condition. The biggest worry is not turning, as in frozen in place. I still don't think I would worry too much about it any way.

The actual rope is a lot tougher than you would believe. It ruins single edge razor blades with ease, as a few on here can tell you. Jeff being one of them.

You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind.