Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up Motor Mounts

One of the bushings in my motor mounts melted and cracked.

Joe Dillard came by today, and we decided to do motor mounts on my Jeep. When we got one of the old ones out, we realized that the new MORE motor mounts that I got would not work in my jeep. MORE motor mounts have one of the frame bolts already welded in, and it was too short, as I am using spacers to raze the motor another 7/8 of an inch.

So, we went to the local ORW store, in hope they got replacement bushings for the Currie motor mounts. And guess what, CJ front spring bushings (the big ones) fit the Currie motor mounts perfectly. Good to know.

Joe, thank you for your help!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
I read a lot more complaints about the Currie MM's than the M.O.R.E's, right after I bought em! I got em in July and first heard about the proble,ms from StealthTJ, other threads, and now you. Just great!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Reggae

Don't panic. I've been running these motor mounts for like 40 thousand miles, and the only problem was the melted bushing that cracked. All you need to replace the bushings in Currie motor mounts is a rubber mallet. You need a press to replace the MORE torsion rubber bushings, if you had to.

If you are worried about melting the bushings off, maybe you can give rubber bushings a try. Those should be available in any parts store, like Checkers, for example.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a set of MORE motor mounts, that I have no use for, as they wouldn't fit in my jeep.

Don't get me wrong. MORE motor mounts look like a quality product. And the bastards at Currie just used CJ parts to fab up the motor mounts. But there is a flip side, you can get these parts anywhere, as they are common. Also the Currie version leaves more room for maneuvering, as they don't have any bolts welded in.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:57 PM

My pleasure Sergey! Glad I could be of assistance.

You shouldn't have a problem either selling them to another CJ/TJ owner, or returning them to MORE. I recall seeing return instructions on the paperwork that came with the mounts.

Leadfoot, I think they would have worked just fine. However, as Sergey mentioned, he has additional spacers which mount between the frame & the MM. So his is ~7/8" taller than a standard MM lift would be.

If it wouldn't have been a task/risk to grind the head/weld of the MM bolt off, & also remove some of the support metal of the mount to allow for another longer bolt to be used, we may have went that route. We'd also need to do the same for the other side too.

One other item we ran into was that Sergey has different size hardware than that used by the MORE welded in bolt uses. We'd need to buy additional nuts for things to work.

Sergey, what's that faint beeping sound I'm hearing coming from under your hood? LOL
Old 11-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Sergey,

Good to hear you got it fixed, even if you had to use the Currie mounts. I had no idea the MORE's would give you a problem when you asked what I use.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:03 AM

Anybody wanting to get rid of some Currie or MORE 1" raised mounts can send me a PM or email. I am about to get some in the next couple of weeks.
-Bart
Old 11-02-2003, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up

I have had the Curie mounts for few years now and no problems with them. What I like about them is how they minimize drivetrain twist due to engine torque better than stock mount. I also think they help the tranny mount live longer.

While one of the ones I got was "manufactured" a bit crooked it fit. I bought them slightly used from ZUK so they were a good deal in any case.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:49 PM

Re: Motor Mounts

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
One of the bushings in my motor mounts melted and cracked.

I have seen the same problem on a customers 97 TJ. When I replaced he urethane I made a heat sheild to go around the mount and have had no problems since. I believe that a 2000 TJ came with a heat sheild like this from the factory. That tells me there is a definite heat problem there.